Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Dx6i transmitter

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 02:05 AM
Daniel52

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dx6i transmitter

Why would you set the expo to INH? From what I read, it means there is no expo. The stick sensitivity always has a setting regardless if its at 0, -100% - +100% or INH.
Old 02-13-2014, 06:11 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Expo is a feature that takes the stick to servo movement from linear to non-linear. Not everyone likes expo so you can turn it on or turn it off.

If you understand expo, that should answer your question. If you don't, this article might help.
> Dual Rates and Exponential Explained
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/vbgl...howentry&id=26
Old 02-14-2014, 04:23 AM
Daniel52

Are there any advantages to having it off?
Old 02-14-2014, 04:57 AM
aeajr

You can be sure that there is no expo in your set-up for that plane.
Old 02-14-2014, 05:50 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Expo makes the gimbals less sensitive around the center positions. As they are moved to a point beyond that area they become more sensitive. In other words the sticks become mushy as the expo is increased.
I am one who doesn't like it. On some large fast aerobatic planes I will add around 25% for the maiden flight and a few after and then start taking it back out as I get more comfortable with the plane. There are some planes like small extremely fast planes and wings and extreme 3D planes that can benefit from a little expo but I think it's better to learn to fly a "regular plane" with no expo.
Old 02-17-2014, 05:02 AM
chuckk2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Those of us with twitchy fingers appreciate expo. When a model is properly trimmed, etc. Expo can really help landing flare.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:06 AM
aeajr

One of our club members actually uses reverse expo making the stick more sensitive so he does not have to move them around as much. I almost crashed one of his planes because the sticks were so sensitive.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:03 AM
Rob2160

Originally Posted by Daniel52
Why would you set the expo to INH? From what I read, it means there is no expo. The stick sensitivity always has a setting regardless if its at 0, -100% - +100% or INH.
Setting expo to INH is the same as setting 0 expo.

This means your servo rotates directly according to stick response.

However, with a normal rotary servo, this actually is giving you a "reverse expo" response in your flight controls.

IE the controls are more sensitive near neutral due to the geometry of the pushrod to the servo arm.

As your servo rotates more the actual movement of the pushrod reduces for a given angle of rotation.

Setting 10-15% expo in your radio will compensate for this geometry and provide you with a true linear control response.

See this link for a better explanation

http://www.rcflightschool.com/SetupPDFs/Expo.pdf
Old 02-17-2014, 11:09 AM
Rob2160

Originally Posted by aeajr
One of our club members actually uses reverse expo making the stick more sensitive so he does not have to move them around as much. I almost crashed one of his planes because the sticks were so sensitive.
Some people like it that way, I generally prefer 100% rate and no Expo on my planes and Helis (except the F27Q, where 10% Expo feels much nicer)

On small Blade Helis I use Dual Rate of 115% on cyclic and 120% on rudder. This makes it much easier to flip them indoors.

Last edited by Rob2160; 02-17-2014 at 12:43 PM.