Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Reload this Page >

Aloft Hobbies - A great company to buy from - FrSky - top knotch products

Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Aloft Hobbies - A great company to buy from - FrSky - top knotch products

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 10:45 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Cool Aloft Hobbies - A great company to buy from - FrSky - top knotch products

Let me tell you about a great supplier of excellent products, Aloft Hobbies.
http://www.alofthobbies.com/

I first became aware of Aloft when I was learning about FrSky's receivers and RF modules for my Futaba radio. The more I read about FrSky and the rave reviews, the more I felt comfortable with the idea of using non-Futaba receivers.

I started to ask around and found out that many of my friends who are high end competition sailplane pilots had converted their JR, Hitec and Futaba Radios over to FrSky and just loved it. These guys are flying large competition gliders that cost thousands. They fly them high and they fly them far out so if there were ever going to be a problem they would know it. And they ALL said that FrSky was a real solid system and much better prices than JR, Futaba or Hitec's systems and receivers.

I asked where they buy Frsky and Aloft Hobbies was the answer and they all LOVE Aloft. As read around the RC forums I just read post after post about how great Aloft is.

Well I finally purchased two FrSky receivers from Aloft. First one went in clean and works great. Second one sat on the shelf for 6 months. When I opened it, there was a problem with it. I contacted Aloft and the answer was swift. Send it back and we will get a new one to you right away. No concern about when I purchased it, just send it in.

So I sent it back and the new one arrived really fast. And it works great. That is great customer service!

I have had bad experiences with other providers but Aloft really does a great job. And if you have a question, need help or just want to discuss how to use the FrSky system, they are happy to speak with you and to help you in any way they can.

They also have a nice line of gliders. I have been looking at a few as possible future purchases.

Count me among their very satisfied customers!

Last edited by aeajr; 04-02-2014 at 07:57 AM.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:10 PM
thepamster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I first went to Aloft hobbies because I found that a lot of glider guys use their receivers. If glider guys are comfortable flying expensive gliders, sailplanes, at a high altitude they must be good enough for my glow planes.
I have three of them in service and all are good.
I emailed a question to them once and before I could even close my browser they already replied. They are a great company and I strongly recommend them.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:48 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

i bought a Taranis from them last summer. The rudder stick did not quite center when it was slowly returned to center. Aloft sent me two stick assemblies- no questions asked.
The only trouble I have had is they have a hard time keeping things in stock. I had to go to ebay to get another receiver.
Old 04-02-2014, 06:03 AM
MX240
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, I looked at this website and saw $33 for a 16 channel receiver......really...and these things work?
Looks like a JR 9505 transmitter with a different name on it...is this legal?
Not bad mouthing the place but it seems a little odd to what I am use to paying for stuff.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:01 AM
aeajr

Yes the FrSky stuff is legal and it works great. It works so well that it is forcing Futaba and Spektrum to lower their prices. I just installed their 8 channel in my new e-Supra. All the the glider is about $2000.

BTW, what you probably saw was a 16 channel "capable" receiver. FrSky has a way to tie two 8 channel receivers together to make a 16 channel receiver. So what you saw was probably an 8 channel receiver that was 16 channel capable.

I did an article for RC Soaring Digest about using this to update old sailplane radios.

Low cost sailplane radios – RC Soaring Digest

Two part series – July and August 2012

Upgrading 72 MH Sailplane Radios to 2.4 GHz
http://www.rcsoaringdigest.com/pdfs/...SD-2012-07.pdf

Low Cost Sailplane Radio based on open software

http://www.rcsoaringdigest.com/pdfs/...SD-2012-08.pdf

The second part of the series was written before the FrSky Taranus was introduced.

Last edited by aeajr; 04-02-2014 at 08:09 AM.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:06 AM
rotozuk

Technically it is a 16 channel receiver (all of the X series are) you get 8 PWM outputs for normal servos plus an SBus port that carries all 16. FrSky will soon have SBus servos for very reasonable prices to tap directly into the SBus port, or you can use a pair of decoders for all 16 channels. By the way, a similar receiver from Futaba (without telemetry) costs $170. Yeah, I think I like the FrSky pricing a lot more, just $33!

MX240 - Just for fun, I'd like to add that it is a 16 channel radio that can be expanded to 32 channels for about $40 more. Full telemetry, RSSI feedback (warns you if you are going beyond radio range), Opensource firmware, assign anything to everything, mix almost anything! Do a little research, I think you will like what you see. We compare very well to $1500 radios and are used with everything from micro inddor to scale turbine aircraft.

-Wayne
Old 04-02-2014, 06:18 PM
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I bought my FrSky Taranis from Aloft Hobbies several months ago and it has worked flawlessly. I have placed several additional orders with Aloft Hobbies and am very pleased with their service.

If Aloft has one fault it is that they have trouble maintaining stock of FrSky products. I think the acceptance of FrSky products has caught everyone by surprise. Fantastic radio gear for an incredible price! Love my Taranis!
Old 04-02-2014, 06:25 PM
dirtybird

I am setting up a new aircraft with the left side controlled by the internal TX and the right side controlled by the external TX.
I dont think there is any other transmitter that can do that.
The throttle and rudder will be connected to both receivers thru a Y connector. With a switch I will be able to choose which receiver to control them.
again I dont think there is any other Radio than can do that. Maybe there is one that can
Old 04-02-2014, 07:08 PM
aeajr

Originally Posted by dirtybird
I am setting up a new aircraft with the left side controlled by the internal TX and the right side controlled by the external TX.
I dont think there is any other transmitter that can do that.
The throttle and rudder will be connected to both receivers thru a Y connector. With a switch I will be able to choose which receiver to control them.
again I dont think there is any other Radio than can do that. Maybe there is one that can
Now that is totally cool!
Old 04-05-2014, 08:35 AM
dirtybird

It turns out the wiring for this is much simpler than I thought. You dont need to bother with the switches. The pulse from both receivers is exactly the same so there is no conflict if both receivers are plugged to one servo thru a Y connector. Then if one system fails the other just takes over.
I am going to use a dedicated battery for each receiver. That means I have to make a special Y connector to isolate the batteries from each other with diodes.
Old 04-12-2014, 08:21 AM
My Feedback: (17)

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

My experience with Aloft Hobbies has been absolutely outstanding. I highly recommend them.
Old 02-21-2015, 12:59 PM
ArcadeAir

Great company, Great products (Love my Taranis Too). Great customer service!
Old 02-21-2015, 07:03 PM
s3nfo
My Feedback: (14)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My Taranis has worked flawlessly in my 3 Giant Scale airplanes, never a glitch, and service from Wayne and Aloft has been nothing but outstanding. Just wish the Taranis case was a little better designed, just doesn't have the same usability and "feel" my old SD-10, Stylus and Vision had.
Old 09-06-2016, 04:00 PM
rcbrucelee

All the purchases I've made from aloft hobby have been great. They are one of the go to on line shops for me for years, I own several taranis trans and over a dozen rec and acc. I know this is an old thread but they have been very good to date.
Bob Roland
Old 11-01-2016, 08:23 AM
rotozuk

Just a quick note. We have dropped the prices on FrSky transmitters and added a ton of new products, and we even have a new and faster website up and running. If you haven't given us a look, please stop by.

p.s. Thanks for the great comments. Means a lot!!