Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Reload this Page >

Anyone have any good information on this radio? Controlaire

Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Anyone have any good information on this radio? Controlaire

Old 07-02-2014, 04:04 PM
mattnew
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have any good information on this radio? Controlaire

One of my dad's old radios... just interested in learning a little... if you have any info or useful links they would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20140701_093739.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	182.1 KB
ID:	2011001  
Old 07-02-2014, 06:27 PM
grotto2

I've got one just like it.
That's a Controlaire Galloping Ghost transmitter. GG was a form of proportional that was cheaper and less sophisticated than full digital proportional that we use today. Three controls were squeezed into a single channel. This is a desirable vintage radio and will bring money on *bay.
The airborne part is also valuable if you can find it. There is likely a Controlaire SH100 receiver that will be in a silver aluminum case that may be marked with said brand.
The actuator or actuators that came with it are also quite valuable. Look for a servo-like device with a Mitsumi motor and red triangular output arm. That's a Rand actuator. An alternate actuator may have an exposed motor and a jackscrew-like affair. That's an OS actuator.
Schematics and other documents are available if you want to keep it and put it back in service. There's also a good west-coast tech who specializes in repair and tune-up of these if so desired.
But please don't let it collect dust!
Old 07-03-2014, 06:37 AM
mattnew

Well,
I doubt its been turned on in at least 30 years as it got stuck in a box on a shelf at least that long ago and hasn't been touched since. I'll have to see what we can do about the dust :-)

The receiver and actuators are all there , along with the instruction manual as well... I didn't take pictures of those though as I was just curious as to what I was looking at. I started flying on my dad's EK logictrol radio which would have likely been 1 or 2 radios after this one. That one still works and still has batteries in it.

Appreciate the information. Thanks!
Old 07-03-2014, 07:36 AM
Rodney

I hope the batteries were removed from that radio before it was put on the shelf. It probably used carbon/zinc dry cells which can make quite a mess if they leak. If the batteries were NiCad (probably not as they were not common back then) and left in, there may be "black wire disease". If no corrosion, those parts may have some collector value.