Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Crimping your own servo wires

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 12:19 AM
thailazer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Crimping your own servo wires

Just had an aileron extension cable go intermittent but luckily got the plane on the ground. There are a lot of sketchy quality cables coming out of Asia at the moment and am thinking I would like to find a source of gold plated connectors and my own crimping tool. Is anyone selling a kit like that?
Old 08-07-2014, 01:49 AM
alan0899

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

G'day Mate,
I bought mine from here http://hansenhobbies.com/products/co...ools/crimp_dx/
I bought the deluxe kit, works exactly as advertised, complete crimp in one action, brilliant.

Cheers

Originally Posted by thailazer
Just had an aileron extension cable go intermittent but luckily got the plane on the ground. There are a lot of sketchy quality cables coming out of Asia at the moment and am thinking I would like to find a source of gold plated connectors and my own crimping tool. Is anyone selling a kit like that?
Old 08-07-2014, 02:34 AM
thailazer

That is brilliant indeed! I see they have a complete kit. I've been cobbing together my planes with whatever bits I can string together and that has to end! Thanks Alan.

http://hansenhobbies.com/products/co...orkits/ck_sck/
Old 08-07-2014, 03:01 AM
chuckk2

I've used theses kits.
http://www.hansenhobbies.com/product...connectorkits/
Despite the propaganda, it does take a bit of time and dexterity.

The real problem with servo connectors and pins has to do with the small size and
thin metal pins. The female pins can loosen up, and the small contact area does not help.

Then, there is the crimp itself. Even well made and closely inspected crimps can
actually be bad. Nothing is perfect!
Old 08-07-2014, 05:37 AM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been crimping my own for several years now and not had one issue to date. But I would advise getting a desk top magnifier to view through, makes it so much easier and increases the quality of ones work. I, as well, use Hansen Hobbies for supplies and the single action tool. I would also advise to use one size up in wire gauge, it also adds to the quality of the crimp.
Old 08-10-2014, 02:38 AM
skywarrior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi
I was lucky enough to find this on e bay and it was still expensive. However i.m.o. this is the best you can get .

Note the gizmo on the front end which holds the crimp in place whilst you offer up the wire. Perfect every time ..almost.

Still check it as you say with a glass.

[TABLE="class: my_itl-iT"]
[TR="class: my_itl-itR"]
[TD="class: dt-rowSeptr dt-alignLft my_itl-alT"][/TD]
[TD="class: dt-rowSeptr dt-alignLft my_itl-alT"]AMP 947679-1 HE13/14 [/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
Attached Images  

Last edited by skywarrior; 08-11-2014 at 07:37 AM.
Old 08-15-2014, 07:20 AM
mscic-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

servo city is a good source too

http://www.servocity.com/html/servo_...rs___pins.html
Old 08-15-2014, 07:31 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

I've been making communications and electronics cables for over 20 years and I do make my own servo extensions from time to time. The crimp tool is the key to making good terminations and the next is the quality of the pins. Buy a cheap tool and you will produce sub-par terminations. You don't have to spend $300.00 on a crimp tool but don't buy one for $10.00 either ! Also don't cheap -out on the pins , Look around and price the tools and pins and read what others are using and you can find good quality at decent prices. after that you have to make the decision if you want to spend the money on a good tool and pins and wire plus your time or is it better to spend the extra money on good quality pre-made extensions ?
Old 08-16-2014, 06:14 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

My experience with "crimp your own", is that the tendency of some, is to get the insulation into the crimp, rather than only the wire, and having the insulation interfere with the operation.

Les
Old 08-16-2014, 06:37 AM
mscic-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

I have been crimping my own wires for over 20 years now. Like anything, practice makes perfect. You will get the feel for inserting the wire into the end and not crimp the insulation on the contact portion of the end. It isn't that hard to do.
Old 08-16-2014, 05:11 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Hansen hobbies has a good tool. Ratcheting is the best (the first link) - a ratcheting crimper doesn't release until the right amount of pressure has been applied. Ever since I've used a ratcheting crimper, it's the only kind of crimper I want to use.
Old 09-26-2014, 02:47 AM
zx32tt
My Feedback: (9)

I got my AMP ratcheting crimper for about $30 on e-bay a couple of years ago. I've had very good success with it. Highly recommend.