Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Tech info on vintage Cannon radio gear

Old 08-29-2014, 10:04 AM
wrdotson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tech info on vintage Cannon radio gear

I have an RC blimp (homebrew) built around 1979 that I would like to fly again, but I'm having trouble with the radio. The transmitter is a Cannon 520-T, from that period, with matching receiver and servos.

I have obtained new batteries for both transmitter and receiver, and the radio works, but one or more of the servos sometimes go hard over spuriously. It happens most often when I move another of the servos, suggesting some interaction. It occurred to me that the transmitter one-shots might need a little adjustment, but I don't know the proper timing. If I did, I could adjust them, since I have a good calibrated oscilloscope. I also would love to get my hands on a schematic for this transmitter, but of course Cannon is out of business.

Does anyone have any ideas about this, or any suggestions on which of the many RCUNIVERSE forums this should go to?
Old 08-30-2014, 07:03 AM
sidgates
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wrdotson
I have an RC blimp (homebrew) built around 1979 that I would like to fly again, but I'm having trouble with the radio. The transmitter is a Cannon 520-T, from that period, with matching receiver and servos.

I have obtained new batteries for both transmitter and receiver, and the radio works, but one or more of the servos sometimes go hard over spuriously. It happens most often when I move another of the servos, suggesting some interaction. It occurred to me that the transmitter one-shots might need a little adjustment, but I don't know the proper timing. If I did, I could adjust them, since I have a good calibrated oscilloscope. I also would love to get my hands on a schematic for this transmitter, but of course Cannon is out of business.

Does anyone have any ideas about this, or any suggestions on which of the many RCUNIVERSE forums this should go to?
================================================== ==========
I don't have schematics but am familiar with older encoder circuits. They encoder is probably 1/2 shots and not likely to cause your problem. More likely the stick pots are dirty and may clear up with exercise or better spray the pots with Cramolin or any good contact cleaner. Next I would want to know the range of the RF link. Do a range check.