Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Gyros in glow engine planes

Old 09-05-2014, 05:53 AM
otterrc
My Feedback: (36)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gyros in glow engine planes

Can any one recommend a gyro that will work in a glow powered airplane, I have tried several and always have problems with vibration, primarily interested in heading hold for take off and landing.
Old 09-05-2014, 11:24 AM
JohnB96041

Eagle Tree gyro works well with nitro engines.
Old 09-05-2014, 03:48 PM
alan0899

G'day Mate,
A better way, is to practice taking off & landing using your rudder, sorry if that seems too obvious, BUT, if you are having trouble, in my experience, excessive rudder throw, on take off, is the usual problem.
Reduce rudder throw, using rudder rates, so the plane can be steered without over controlling. On my Extra 300, I only have 30% rudder travel on low rates, so I can steer the thing on the ground.
Also, make sure your main wheels track straight, & have some tow in, if the wheels point outwards, you will never be able to steer it on the ground.

Cheers.

Originally Posted by otterrc View Post
Can any one recommend a gyro that will work in a glow powered airplane, I have tried several and always have problems with vibration, primarily interested in heading hold for take off and landing.
Old 09-05-2014, 06:35 PM
radfordc
My Feedback: (14)

If you ask a question about gyros, someone will always tell you to go improve your rudder skills. Even if you're the best pilot that ever flew a plane.
Old 09-05-2014, 06:48 PM
blvdbuzzard

What problems are you having?

What is your budget?

How are you mounting them? I have a cheap $12.00 gyro I have used for years to tame cross wind landings. It is mounted on 2 layers of foam tape, thin aluminum sheet, then 2 more layers of foam tape. The cheap gyro's tend to drift no matter how you set them up.

Might try looking for a used Futaba GY401. They were top of the heap for a long time.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXVA43&P=ML

Buzz.
Old 09-11-2014, 02:42 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Originally Posted by otterrc View Post
If you go to RCG there is a discussion on the problem in the Guardian thread in Eagle trees vendor area.
Basically you have to mount the Gyro on rubber bands