Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

JR 783 Update Cost

Old 09-11-2014, 08:59 AM
BevoHoward

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JR 783 Update Cost

I'm not new to the hobby, I've just been inactive for some time. I have two JR 783s that I'd like to make current. Both are in new condition. One has only a half a dozen flights on it. The other has never been used. It's really more radio than I'll ever need, and I'd rather use them than watch them collect dust.

Anybody have an estimate of what it would cost to update them? Thanks ! Tom
Old 09-11-2014, 10:42 AM
pilotpete2

If you mean to update them to 2.4Ghz, then you have multiple options and they're very affordable.
Here's a link to a conversion module that will fit your radio.
http://www.alofthobbies.com/jr-trans...ry-module.html
You can also get a Spektrum module to fit your radio, but as far as I know, JR is not selling a DMSS conversion module.
Good luck,
Pete
Old 09-11-2014, 12:28 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Bevo, considering the age of your radiios, even though they are in like new condition, I'd recommend replacement with new equipment. Even though your radios have little or no use on them, they are still OLD radios and some components have aged even without use.

There are so many excellent, low to mid priced radios available today and most of these will have features not dreamed of when your 783 was new. Look around and choose one with the features you like, then buy the next model up just to be sure you really buy enough radio! Trust me on that last statement!

I feel your pain as I have several older radios that had little use before 2.4 came along. i bit the bullet and bought new and am very glad I did. The old radios just sit in the radio cabinet and remind me of what once was ... then I pick up the new radios and go fly.
Old 09-12-2014, 07:49 AM
BevoHoward

Thanks Guys,

I may do both. Probably buy a new radio, and then maybe do something later with the 783s
Old 09-12-2014, 11:32 AM
Texastbird

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the FR sky module and receivers would be worth a try Especially for the modest cost. They work just fine from what I hear. Besides the main power battery, don't the JRs have a lithium memory back up battery that may need to be replaced after a few years?
Old 09-13-2014, 12:13 AM
gdqcachter

The old radios just sit in the radio cabinet and remind me of what once was
Old 09-13-2014, 07:34 AM
pilotpete2

Anyone interested in a really nice, clean Airtronics Infinity 660 with a whopping 4 model memories?
Pete
Old 09-13-2014, 07:38 AM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Texastbird View Post
I think the FR sky module and receivers would be worth a try Especially for the modest cost. They work just fine from what I hear. Besides the main power battery, don't the JRs have a lithium memory back up battery that may need to be replaced after a few years?
Yes, they have the backup battery.
Old 09-15-2014, 07:13 PM
bjw4072
My Feedback: (6)

Originally Posted by BevoHoward View Post
I'm not new to the hobby, I've just been inactive for some time. I have two JR 783s that I'd like to make current. Both are in new condition. One has only a half a dozen flights on it. The other has never been used. It's really more radio than I'll ever need, and I'd rather use them than watch them collect dust.

Anybody have an estimate of what it would cost to update them? Thanks ! Tom
I have a JR-783 myself. I use a DSM-X 2.4GHz module I bought from Horizon a couple of years ago. It seems that Horizon
no longer sells them. The JR DMSS module should also work if you want to go with the JR brand. I have one of these
JR DMSS modules in my JR 12X transmitter as I am transferring all my models from Spektrum DSMx to JR DMSS.
Contact JR America if you want a DMSS module as I don't think Horizon sells them.

With regard to the JR 783 you should get the backup battery changed if you want to continue using it.
Otherwise it should be fine to use.