Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

need help on old am radio

Old 09-25-2014, 03:17 PM
jayseas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help on old am radio

i'm planning on building a electric powered glider to learn on, i have an old futaba am conquest radio 4ch.Question is does the ecs plug into the throttle slot on the receiver?Also would it be better to build the glider with rudder and elevator?Or with ailerons and elevator with no rudder?What would be easier to learn on?
Thanks
Jim
Old 09-25-2014, 03:42 PM
Rob2160

Originally Posted by jayseas
i'm planning on building a electric powered glider to learn on, i have an old futaba am conquest radio 4ch.Question is does the ecs plug into the throttle slot on the receiver?Also would it be better to build the glider with rudder and elevator?Or with ailerons and elevator with no rudder?What would be easier to learn on?
Thanks
Jim
Hi Jim,

You are correct, the ESC plugs into the throttle channel on the receiver - note that in most modern Futaba radios you have to reverse the channel or the ESC will not operate correctly. Don't forget to calibrate it also as per the ESC instructions.

As for Rudder vs Ailerons, If this is your first aircraft I would recommend Rudder and Elevator.

Take a look at the 2.4 Ghz radios, they have come a long way since the conquest. Good luck with your build.
Old 09-25-2014, 04:36 PM
jayseas

Yes i have looked at the 2.4Ghz radios, but i have had this old radio laying around for sometime, so i just wondering if i could use this to learn with, since i am new to learning to fly rc.I want to start with something simple.
thanks for your comments.
jim
Old 10-01-2014, 09:50 AM
Texastbird

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On a polyhedral wing like a lot of beginner gliders have, ailerons wouldn't be very effective. It will turn just fine with the rudder and elevator. Just hook the rudder servo to the aileron input on the receiver so you can learn with both inputs on the right stick. There's nothing inherently wrong with your radio, just remember to range check it before the first flight. There is less traffic on 72mhz now, so interference is fairly rare as long as no one else is using your frequency.
Old 10-01-2014, 11:28 AM
jayseas

Originally Posted by Texastbird
On a polyhedral wing like a lot of beginner gliders have, ailerons wouldn't be very effective. It will turn just fine with the rudder and elevator. Just hook the rudder servo to the aileron input on the receiver so you can learn with both inputs on the right stick. There's nothing inherently wrong with your radio, just remember to range check it before the first flight. There is less traffic on 72mhz now, so interference is fairly rare as long as no one else is using your frequency.
Thanks for your input, appreciate it.
jim
Old 10-03-2014, 06:19 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Please be aware that older AM systems may not be legal. Please make sure it has the gold AMA sticker on it. The laws changed just before AM systems were phased out, and most AM systems had to be upgraded to be legal to use. If you're not sure about whether your system is a narrow-band system or not, please have it checked by the appropriate service center. Also, please be aware that systems that old may no longer be supported by their manufacturer, and so legally cannot be made to conform to the narrow-band specification if they are not already narrow-band systems. Legally, "narrow-band" modifications are considered a permissive change by the FCC, and only the manufacturer or their specified representative can perform the changes to make the system a narrow-band system.
Old 10-03-2014, 03:32 PM
jayseas

Hey Bill, what do you mean by legal?What are the problems with using a non legal radio system?Why are they deemed illegal? Are their RC cops out there?I want to know and understand.
Thanks
Jim
Old 10-09-2014, 12:53 PM
Hemikiller
My Feedback: (125)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jayseas
Hey Bill, what do you mean by legal?What are the problems with using a non legal radio system?Why are they deemed illegal? Are their RC cops out there?I want to know and understand.
Thanks
Jim
In the late 80's, the AMA had secured extra frequencies for us to fly on. To accommodate those frequencies, we went to "narrow band", which meant tighter frequency control on the TX and RX. Older systems had to be tested to the 1991 standard and if they passed, where given a gold sticker, usually applied to the rear cover of the TX. If your radio does not have a 1991 Gold sticker, it is technically "illegal" to use.
Old 10-09-2014, 02:19 PM
pilotpete2

I believe that the Conquest AM radios were narrow band as far as the tranny went, but the AM receivers that shipped were not. If the receiver takes modern J connectors, then the receiver is narrow band. My first radio was bought in January of '88, the tranny was narrow band with the gold sticker, but it came with a wide band receiver and S-48 servos with G connectors.
Pete
Old 10-09-2014, 02:31 PM
jayseas

Originally Posted by Hemikiller
In the late 80's, the AMA had secured extra frequencies for us to fly on. To accommodate those frequencies, we went to "narrow band", which meant tighter frequency control on the TX and RX. Older systems had to be tested to the 1991 standard and if they passed, where given a gold sticker, usually applied to the rear cover of the TX. If your radio does not have a 1991 Gold sticker, it is technically "illegal" to use.
Bill, illegal, who inforces this, are there rc police around?I'm not trying to be funny, just trying to understand by what you mean by their illegal. i'm quessing you won't be allowed to use them at controlled flying park, is that it?
jim