Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

What radio?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2014, 02:35 PM
flynpreacher
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What radio?

I have been out of the RC airplane hobby a little over 7 years now, sold everything I had. Recently I have found myself needing my hobby back , so, I've bought a four star 54 eg, a four stroke 54, and now I need a new radio. I know nothing of the new radios, I'm used to selecting a frequency and a pin at the field with that frequency. So,long story short, what do I need? I see they don't even come with the servos anymore! Just thought I could get some help.

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-08-2014, 03:41 PM
Rob2160

Originally Posted by flynpreacher
I have been out of the RC airplane hobby a little over 7 years now, sold everything I had. Recently I have found myself needing my hobby back , so, I've bought a four star 54 eg, a four stroke 54, and now I need a new radio. I know nothing of the new radios, I'm used to selecting a frequency and a pin at the field with that frequency. So,long story short, what do I need? I see they don't even come with the servos anymore! Just thought I could get some help.

Thanks in advance!
Hi, I know how you feel.

I flew regularly for over 20 years with a Kraft FM radio on 40 Mhz, then had a 10 year hiatus from RC (due to model trains)

I came back to the hobby in 2010 and the changes in the radios were significant, however in my opinion the 2.4 Ghz radios are far superior to anything I have used in the past.

It boils down to how many channels you need? How many models you expect to have in the future?

Any of the brand names are great, I have experience with Futaba, JR, Spektrum and recently FrSky (the Taranis) and they have all worked flawlessly.

One thing to note is the brands are generally not compatible, IE, you can't use a Futaba receiver with a Spektrum transmitter. (Some transmitter models will allow you to fit modules so you can use other brand receivers)

Take a look at something like the Spektrum DX9, Futaba 14SG, JR 11x or JR 9503, any of these radios will likely serve your needs.

Welcome back to the Hobby and enjoy your new radio!.
Old 11-08-2014, 04:16 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome back !
To add to the above post. It can be very confusing looking at the new radios today. As mentioned, for the most part 2.4 ghz has become the standard however 72mhz radios are still sold and as long as the field where you fly can support 72mhz without interference (radio /cell towers, airports, etc) then you can use it. I still fly several models on 72 that have not been converted over to 2.4 yet. With 2.4 you will have less chance of interference from outside sources and other flyers using 2.4....no more claiming a freq.pin to fly.
Also depending on the model radio you had, the new radios have model memory now and can support many different models using only one radio making plane set-up much easier that it was with older radios as well as almost endless programming and mixing options.
You can still buy the packages with radio, servos, etc.. you just need to look around.
If looking at 2.4 radio systems keep in mind the cost of receivers as they vary between manufacturers
Here are some places to look around.
For Futaba, Hitec, Airtronics radios look at Tower
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...RADIOS&S3=&S4=
For JR , Spektrum and Hitec radios look at Horizon Hobby
http://www.horizonhobby.com/category...t-transmitters

For FrSky and Flysky you can look at Value Hobby
http://www.valuehobby.com/radio-syst...os/radios.html

Hopefully you can narrow it down to what brand you like and how many channels you need.
Good luck !
Old 11-09-2014, 02:13 PM
Checklst

I would add, join a club and talk to members you will be flying with...........I fly JR 10x and at my field I fly with the early morning crowd............there's only me with JR and one Futaba..........their are times when I am having trouble programing my radio no help to be found......sometimes It would be nice to have the Spektrum Radio everyone has...........out of the 8 or nine guys someone always knows the programing tricks. I did choose JR because of how it feels in my hands(vary important)

The afternoon flyers are a mix of Futaba and JR........much larger planes,jets ect.
Old 11-09-2014, 03:29 PM
Dooz

I agree with these guys. It's a tough choice, and I also agree with Checklst that the hand test is important. However I use a tray and pinch so that isn't a huge concern for me. I fly with a FrSky Taranis and FrSky receivers and servos. The radio shell and switch/pot/trim set up is similar to a JR X9303. I switched from a JR X9303 so it seems familiar to me. The FrSky is a 2.4 ghz radio that has 32 channel capability (with modules), but 16 channels right off the bat. It uses open source software and firmware. I fly gas and electric with this radio, You can change your radio settings in the software that will reside on your computer, then upload the changes to your radio, but you can also change them in the radio as well. There are no specific channels with FrSky receivers. Meaning you can assign any servo to any channel on the receiver. You no longer need "y" harnesses or matchboxes (channel splitters).... this great for Bipes and split elevators.

One of it's greatest features is bang for the buck. The Taranis is $175. 8 channel FrSky receivers are $22 - $25. Also, the radio has sound. That means you can tie a voice warning to any switch/pot and have your timer call out your time. It will tell you if receiver's signal is getting weak ... "RSSI WARNING." You can even record and upload your own voice if you choose. One of my favorite functions is "instant trim." If for some reason my plane goes wonky, and I need to trim my servos, I get the plane flying straight with the sticks, then flip a switch and the radio sets all my trims to my stick settings. Great for maidens or re-maidens.

There are quite a few FrSky distributors in the US a google search will bring up a few. There are plenty of programming videos on you tube https://www.youtube.com/user/PagesFl...?feature=watch and an Open Tx University (but it's free) created by some Open Tx community members. http://open-txu.org/ There is a very active community with tons of support and people willing to answer your questions.

Anyway, Welcome back and I hope this help some.
Old 11-09-2014, 08:12 PM
Rob2160

Originally Posted by Dooz
I agree with these guys. It's a tough choice, and I also agree with Checklst that the hand test is important. However I use a tray and pinch so that isn't a huge concern for me. I fly with a FrSky Taranis and FrSky receivers and servos. The radio shell and switch/pot/trim set up is similar to a JR X9303. I switched from a JR X9303 so it seems familiar to me. The FrSky is a 2.4 ghz radio that has 32 channel capability (with modules), but 16 channels right off the bat. It uses open source software and firmware. I fly gas and electric with this radio, You can change your radio settings in the software that will reside on your computer, then upload the changes to your radio, but you can also change them in the radio as well. There are no specific channels with FrSky receivers. Meaning you can assign any servo to any channel on the receiver. You no longer need "y" harnesses or matchboxes (channel splitters).... this great for Bipes and split elevators.

One of it's greatest features is bang for the buck. The Taranis is $175. 8 channel FrSky receivers are $22 - $25. Also, the radio has sound. That means you can tie a voice warning to any switch/pot and have your timer call out your time. It will tell you if receiver's signal is getting weak ... "RSSI WARNING." You can even record and upload your own voice if you choose. One of my favorite functions is "instant trim." If for some reason my plane goes wonky, and I need to trim my servos, I get the plane flying straight with the sticks, then flip a switch and the radio sets all my trims to my stick settings. Great for maidens or re-maidens.

There are quite a few FrSky distributors in the US a google search will bring up a few. There are plenty of programming videos on you tube https://www.youtube.com/user/PagesFl...?feature=watch and an Open Tx University (but it's free) created by some Open Tx community members. http://open-txu.org/ There is a very active community with tons of support and people willing to answer your questions.

Anyway, Welcome back and I hope this help some.
I agree with everything you said about the Taranis, I am so impressed with mine. I just ordered 6 new FrSky receivers to swap most of my multicopters over from Futaba. Futaba works perfectly but the Taranis has the voice and Telemetry, plus I like the ergonomics better, which as you say, is just like the JR 9303 / 9503.
Old 11-09-2014, 08:55 PM
Dooz

Hi Rob,
Yeah when I first heard about the Taranis and its functionality I said to myself "What's the catch?" But as it turns out sometimes "to good to be true" is actually true. However, I think I might be a bit lost if it wasn't for Scott Page's videos. If I just had a paper manual I'm not sure I would have been so happy, but the community support for this radio and the software is unbelievable. The one thing I didn't mention though... I still have to use my 9303 for my UMX Planes ( Pitts and Beast). They are BNF with JR/spektrum electronics. I can't wait for the X9E. If the price point is the the same (or within that range) I'm jumping on that.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1412054353.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	1.97 MB
ID:	2046225   Click image for larger version

Name:	1412054381.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	2046226  
Old 11-10-2014, 05:42 PM
yorkiepap
My Feedback: (18)

@Checklst: I also use the superb JR10X's w/72Mhz & 2.3Ghz.....never an issue. The first time I held one belonging to a fellow club member, I knew I had to have one. Solid like a bank vault & pure quality. It took me awhile to learn the 10X programming attributes, as then, a 68y.o.(70now) brain had slowed a bit, I discovered it's not hard. If I can help you, let me know. Once you learn the menu navigation, it will all fall into place.

Denny
Old 11-11-2014, 06:21 AM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

1) Always hold the radio that you're considering. Different models even within the same brand will feel different. Absolutely hold the radio first. You need a radio that is comfortable and fits you. If not, you'll not be keeping it very long, or you'll feel really bad every time you fly it.

2) Look at what others in your area are using. Visit the club(s) and shop(s) to find out what people are using and buying. You are going to need assistance now and then; getting the same type of radio as others will allow you to help and to be helped. NOTE: Some brands are very inconsistent between products regarding how to do things, while others (such as the Spektrum line) are extremely consistent (we build them from the same codebase).

Andy
Old 12-12-2015, 05:22 PM
OliverJacob
My Feedback: (12)

It's a matter of personal preference. 2.4Ghz has a lot of advantages, no more frequency pins, almost impossible to get interferences, no more extending the tx antenna...
From JR, Graupner, Futaba and Spektrum I recently got a Taranis 9XE. Tray style radio for pinchers, too big for thumb flying. I was curious about the telemetry and this works great.

There is a huge variety of sensors and receivers, all very reasonably priced.

This runs a opentx software and it will take a little while to learn how to program, but it offers all the functions you would only find in very expensive high end radios. I am impressed with this radio and was only going to use it for my electric models - but I'll likely convert all my models to FrSky receivers.
A 8 channel rx with S-Bus and smart port for under $30 is hard to find with any other radio. And I used FrSky receivers for my Futaba FASST radio for quite a few years without any problems.

I can very much recommend this radio. Also if you are a thumb flyer and want something easier to use, the FrSky Horus will be out soon.