Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Orange receiver broken?

Old 11-12-2014, 06:04 AM
jksukino

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Orange receiver broken?

Hello everyone,

I'm new to RC flying and am making myself a foam airplane from scratch.
The problem i'm running in to is that the throttle doesn't seem to work.
After some research i came to two conclusions.

1) i have to calibrate the esc to the full throttle position
2) my receiver doesn't work

What works?
All the servo's are working fine, When i replace the rudder with the motor the motor does work perfect only with the rudder control. So the motor isn't broken.
The transmitter also seems to do it propperly as it's showing that the throttle is on.

What not?
When i put a servo in the throttle port it does nothing when i try it. I read somewhere that this means that the throttle port on the receiver simply doesn't work. Could anyone verify this for me or am i missing something?

I'm using a:
R615X reviecer
t-six transmitter

Thanks for helping!
Old 11-12-2014, 10:51 AM
tacx
My Feedback: (1)

You may only have to calibrate the receiver. Rebind your TX to the RX. Before you bind set your throttle trim all the way down.

If, when you did your last bind, the throttle trim was to high and the RX will not arm.
Old 11-12-2014, 01:20 PM
Rob2160

Originally Posted by jksukino
Hello everyone,

I'm new to RC flying and am making myself a foam airplane from scratch.
The problem i'm running in to is that the throttle doesn't seem to work.
After some research i came to two conclusions.

1) i have to calibrate the esc to the full throttle position
2) my receiver doesn't work

What works?
All the servo's are working fine, When i replace the rudder with the motor the motor does work perfect only with the rudder control. So the motor isn't broken.
The transmitter also seems to do it propperly as it's showing that the throttle is on.

What not?
When i put a servo in the throttle port it does nothing when i try it. I read somewhere that this means that the throttle port on the receiver simply doesn't work. Could anyone verify this for me or am i missing something?

I'm using a:
R615X reviecer
t-six transmitter

Thanks for helping!
I don't know about the T-six transmitter, does it have a servo monitor? does the throttle channel indicate movement in that monitor?

Also agree to try rebinding, if that doesn't work the receiver may be faulty. I have two of the R615X and they are not the best Orange receiver. There have been known bad batches.

Try something like an R800X, it is more expensive but works far better in my opinion.

Here are two vids of my own testing of the R615X (they failed my own personal standard so I don't use them)

Reboot times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmjLZ3MzrXA

Range testing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuTp2W7yQfc

Last edited by Rob2160; 11-12-2014 at 01:42 PM.
Old 11-12-2014, 01:37 PM
Checklst

Another thing to try.........go into throttle sub trim,and set a plus or minis 20 on the throttle channel. My JR10xpro would not bind to any of my electric aircraft until this was done in sub trim. Called Horizon and they said the 2.4 mod in the transmitter was not at zero trim even though it showed 0 on the screen.......+ 20 on the sub trim allowed all 3 of my electric to come alive. Just a thought
Old 11-12-2014, 02:43 PM
jksukino

Thank you all for helping,

Originally Posted by Rob2160
I don't know about the T-six transmitter, does it have a servo monitor? does the throttle channel indicate movement in that monitor?
it does have a control monitor showing i'm moving the throttle channel

Ive tried rebinding the receiver. Also with sub trim on the throttle with no result.
It seems the motor hasn't been calibrated yet. i only hear beeb tones with regular interval. It doesn't respond to setting the throttle all the way up or down when binding.
All the other servo's work perfectly. And i dit get the motor working like it should on the ruddr channel.

Is there a way to fix this receiver?

Last edited by jksukino; 11-12-2014 at 02:46 PM.
Old 11-12-2014, 02:51 PM
Steve Percifield
My Feedback: (14)

do you have the esc plugged into the throttle port on the receiver?
Old 11-12-2014, 03:34 PM
pilotpete2

You have a defective receiver.
You eliminated pretty much all other possibilities.
According to your checking, the servo monitor screen shows the movement of the throttle stick, the motor/ESC work on another channel and a servo does also does work when plugged into the throttle channel on the receiver.
Do you have another receiver on hand to try???
Pete
Old 11-12-2014, 05:51 PM
2walla
My Feedback: (10)

Set the atv on the throttle to 120% on both the high and low end. This is most likely the problem. It sounds like the esc is never seeing a low throttle condition to arm. If it still doesn't arm then try reversing throttle channel. If itstill doesn't work, plug the esc into another open channel and put a servo on the throttle does the servo work? If it does then check to see that you don't have some sort of mix in play on the transmitter like a safety arm switch programmed. Odds are slim the receiver is defective if the other channels work. I have seen it but it is rare... Also. If the esc is beeping it IS seeing a signal from the receiver.. just not the signal it needs to arm...
Old 11-12-2014, 06:24 PM
OliverJacob
My Feedback: (12)

so when you plug a servo into the throttle port, it does nothing? I don't know your radio, does it have a throttle hold function?
If not, the rx is likely bad. Find another rx. bind it to your radio and see what it does.
Old 11-13-2014, 12:20 AM
jksukino

Originally Posted by pilotpete2
You have a defective receiver.
You eliminated pretty much all other possibilities.
According to your checking, the servo monitor screen shows the movement of the throttle stick, the motor/ESC work on another channel and a servo does also does work when plugged into the throttle channel on the receiver.
Do you have another receiver on hand to try???
Pete
Yes, all of the above except that when i place a servo in the throttle channel it doesn't work. So i never get anything from the throttle channel. Now my transmitter does have a full throttle protection when turned all the way up. I then lower it and turn it back up. Is that a problem when trying to program the esc? When i connect the battery to the esc the throttle is up. (Also tried it in down position)

It does come with a throttle inhibitor but ive tried that in the on and of position.
atv is regulated by adjusting the sub trim right?

i'll have another receiver ready by monday to try it.

Last edited by jksukino; 11-13-2014 at 04:03 AM.
Old 11-13-2014, 01:26 PM
pilotpete2

Here's another thing to do while you're waiting on another receiver.
Create a new model in the radio where all settings are at default, then bind your receiver to that new model memory. I say to bind the receiver to the new model memory because I don't know if the Orange T-6 has the Spektrum Model Match feature. With model match you would have to re-bind the receiver to use it with a different model memory.
Using a different model memory will eliminate any problems caused by a mix affecting the throttle channel.
If I remember correctly, you did say that the servo monitor on the T-6 showed movement on the throttle channel. That's a reasonably good indicator that the problem is with the receiver and not the transmitter.
Have you flown any other planes with this radio, or is everything brand new?
Good luck,
Pete
Old 11-13-2014, 02:25 PM
jksukino

Thanks, i'll try that. It's all brand new sinds it's a scratchbuild