Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

cant decide,need help

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 05:30 AM
discusmike
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cant decide,need help

What transmitter would you buy if you had 500$.thanks cant decide.
Old 02-15-2015, 06:43 AM
yorkiepap
My Feedback: (18)

You have to evaluate all your aircraft....planes/gliders/edf's/helis/quads & then determine all the flight parameters you may need for each type. Your level of Tx programming needed will dictate the number of channels needed, flight variations, & what options you may need for future flight. Another factor is the "feel" of the radio in your hands, therefore you would be wise to go to a flying club or a retailer/dealer & hold the radio. Everyones' hands are different, so the positioning of the controls in relation to your grasp/reach is the comfort level you have to determine. Suggestions from others as to make/model are useless as we each have our personal preferences. As an example, I fly with a JR10X. It's heavy(I like the "feel"), switches/controls fit my hands perfectly, touchscreen programming I find so much easier than buttons/rollers, & it has all the features, plus more, that I may ever need. I don't fly helis or quads & this radio is the air only version. So, there you can see why I chose this particular Tx. My choice was because of other fellow club members allowed me to "feel" their radios & features encompassed. It's really simple if you keep it simple. Good luck with your "homework" & choice.

Denny
Old 02-15-2015, 09:50 AM
discusmike
My Feedback: (2)

Thanks Denny.
Old 02-15-2015, 12:42 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Good advice from yorkiepap! if you are not locked into a particular brand, research them all and buy the one that best fits your needs. The "feel in the hands" is way different between brands and even between different radios in the same brand. Ease of programming and radio features are all over the place these days so there is a lot to choose from.

For me, feel in the hands and a strong, reliable RF link is the most important thing about a radio. Some of the new gimmick features are less important with everything else is somewhere in between. Its all about what "YOU" want and expect from a radio. There are quite a few excellent choices in that $500 range.
Old 02-24-2015, 03:58 AM
chuckk2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by discusmike
What transmitter would you buy if you had 500$.thanks cant decide.
I'd likely buy a Spectrum. But, you should see what is most popular in your area, club or group.
Originally, I changed from Futaba TX's due to a peculiarity/bug in the 9C's, involving channel reassignments.
That had to do with using a 6 channel RX on a model with dual servo elevators. The later Futaba's were also
more expensive than the comparable Spectrum's.
Old 02-24-2015, 11:46 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you belong to a flying club, you should see what most of the guys use as you will be able to get some educated help in programming and set up. If not and you want to use "buy and fly" (a complete package of plane, transmitter and all accessories) you will have either go with Spectrum or SLT. More choices with Spectrum but Tactic is also good. I have both the Spectrum 6i and the Tactic TX650 and IMHO the
Tactic is a better buy for the money as it is easier to program, 20 model memory and has all the features needed for most any plane you will be using for some time. An even better buy it the Tactic TX850 at just under $180. It has 8 channels, 30 model memory and many additional features. Fortunately, all the present major brands are very good and you will probably be happy with any one of them.
Old 02-24-2015, 03:46 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Futaba 14SGA, if I wasn't going to try to save a little more for a JR