Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

FRSky Taranis Beginners Support Group

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2020, 07:55 AM
KCCraig
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tedsander,
Thanks for the reply. I like your idea of checking out the lower priced units.
I will go to website and do some browsing and see if I can find one better suited to my use.
Do you have one you would recommend to me? I want at least 8 channels, maybe 10. I want to get into more functions on my models.
I jumped into this forum do to the "for beginners" banner. Seems you guys are talking their most expensive and capable radio here.
Old 05-06-2020, 10:12 AM
tedsander

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by KCCraig
Tedsander,
Thanks for the reply. I like your idea of checking out the lower priced units.
I will go to website and do some browsing and see if I can find one better suited to my use.
Do you have one you would recommend to me? I want at least 8 channels, maybe 10. I want to get into more functions on my models.
I jumped into this forum do to the "for beginners" banner. Seems you guys are talking their most expensive and capable radio here.

Well, here's a place to start for FRsky units: https://alofthobbies.com/radio/frsky-transmitters.html
But again, the differences between the the $93 version and the $456 version is overall appearance, how pretty the screen is, gimbal quality, and number of switches. They all run the same software, and have otherwise the same capabilities (number of channels, functions, etc.)
As far as Spektrum or Futaba, sorry - I just can't advise. Was never a JR/Spektrum user, and stopped using Futaba a couple of years after the first Taranis came out. I still have that $2,300 Futaba sitting on the shelf getting dusty. I just found the Frsky easier to understand, and find where the settings are in the screens. For the Futaba, I always had to bring the manual with.....even after several years with it. And I've owned a lot of radios since the 70's!
Old 05-08-2020, 03:30 PM
KCCraig
My Feedback: (1)

Tedsander,
while researching radios I ran across the Flysky paladin. I am thinking this is what I am looking for. Price point is reasonable and it has the capability of 18 channels. The programing functions are very straight forward and very much the same as I am used to on Futaba. Comes with 2 recievers, one 6 channel and one 10 channel.

I think that this is the way I want to go at this time. I would appreciate any input you have on this radio. I understand it is new on the market and you may not be familiar with this radio, but what do you know of the Flysky radios?

Thank you so much for the help you have been willing to give me.
Craig
Old 05-08-2020, 07:09 PM
tedsander

Originally Posted by KCCraig
Tedsander,
while researching radios I ran across the Flysky paladin. I am thinking this is what I am looking for. Price point is reasonable and it has the capability of 18 channels. The programing functions are very straight forward and very much the same as I am used to on Futaba. Comes with 2 recievers, one 6 channel and one 10 channel.

I think that this is the way I want to go at this time. I would appreciate any input you have on this radio. I understand it is new on the market and you may not be familiar with this radio, but what do you know of the Flysky radios?

Thank you so much for the help you have been willing to give me.
Craig
Sorry, can't say anything one way or another about Flysky. I did a very quick look at threads about it over on the "other" RC Forum. I get the impression that the operating system it uses is brand new and introduced initially just for that radio. So it would be prudent to read through all posts you can find about it, to see if any "bugs" or issues have cropped up.
Saw one post about it comparing poorly to a Spektrum DX8 or even 6. But no reasoning behind the opinion, and it was only one guy commenting. You'd be where I was when I bought my first Taranis - I didn't trust it for a couple of years. Only used it for one or two "disposable" models. How could something so comparatively cheap be any good? At least Flysky has been around for a while, even if they pretty much make equipement aimed at the low price end of the market. No idea how limited one may or may not be in using the 18 channels.
Old 05-12-2020, 12:37 PM
MMcfarland

Hi Guys is there a beginners group for the Horus 10s transmitters as well? I guess I am a slow learner I bought an X9d last fall now that I have it working I went out and bought a Horus 10s express. So far I haven't even figured how to get it into bootloader mode so I can install open TX.
Thanks Mike,
Old 05-12-2020, 07:58 PM
tedsander

I haven't seen a thread for Horus, but haven't searched for one, either. I seem to be the main mid-level person that dispenses advice here, and I haven't made the jump to Horus, yet. I'll be glad to help for something that is any OpenTX related, but may or may not be all that helpful on some of the Horus specific items. Perhaps Scott Page, who sometimes dips in here, will be better equipped to answer those questions.

I found this about changing a Horus over to OpenTX.
BUT - do some more digging first! The video is fairly recent, but seems to be based on documentation from 2017. There may have been lots of changes subsequently, so confirm before charging ahead.

Old 05-23-2020, 05:00 PM
Jim.Thompson

Deleted Post.
I have decided to be brave and ask over on the other forum.

Jim.

Last edited by Jim.Thompson; 05-24-2020 at 01:58 AM.
Old 05-28-2020, 02:11 PM
Jim.Thompson

Can someone direct me to a good introductory explanation of LUA scripts please?
Old 05-29-2020, 03:45 AM
tedsander

Originally Posted by Jim.Thompson
Jim-I’m away, so can’t answer fully. The main resource is at lua.org. Search for other threads on that other forum, there are one (or two) about Lua and opentx that were very helpful. There is also some Opentx documentation. I added to my blog over there my attempt at writing a script.
Old 05-30-2020, 03:05 AM
Jim.Thompson

Thanks Ted.
Old 06-07-2020, 10:27 AM
Cub Flyer Fresno

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm starting my search here. I just installed an RB-20 with two RX8R's in my H9 Extra 300. All the servos are working pretty much as they did with the Spectrum Rx. But now I want to get the servo current telemetry. I was told that was possible. Can someone point me the right direction? Maybe post a link on setting that up?

Thanks!
Old 06-07-2020, 11:15 AM
tedsander

Interesting, I didn't realize that Frsky made a powerbox such as the RB-20. I have the FS40, which I tried to use in a gas engine setup, but the current flows were too low for it to read values realiably. It does work great for my electric airplanes. Based on the RB-20 manual, setup should be pretty straight forward. Go here, for a basic review of how to enable the one I have. The RB-20 should be very similar, Current mAh Consumption ? RCdiy
Also read through RCDIY's overview of the various telemetry options, and how to implement: Telemetry ? RCdiy
Between those and the info in the install manual for the RB-20, you should be on your way.
I see there is a thread about it on the "other" forum, which may be of help to you also: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...hlight=RB%2020
Old 06-13-2020, 09:20 PM
Cub Flyer Fresno

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey, I did find out something... it can't be done. The RB-20 obviously has some current monitoring since it protects against overloads. It would be nice to have access to that to find out how many amps a servo is drawing and give a warning if you go beyond a certain setting. Maybe later iterations will include that? We'll see.
Old 06-14-2020, 05:16 AM
tedsander

Originally Posted by Cub Flyer Fresno
Hey, I did find out something... it can't be done. The RB-20 obviously has some current monitoring since it protects against overloads. It would be nice to have access to that to find out how many amps a servo is drawing and give a warning if you go beyond a certain setting. Maybe later iterations will include that? We'll see.
Hmmm, I see what you mean - you can track and log the current flow from each battery, but not from each servo. Best one could do would be to log the preset overlimit alarm at the same time as the battery currents were being logged. And log the outputs of each channel. From that, after on-the-bench review of the data logs, you probably could devine what channels are pulling higher amps than others. But it would be a lot of work to sift through it all and do the analysis to isolate whether any particular channel is pulling more than you would like. But that doesn't get you down to the servo level, if you suspect one out of two elevator servos is being badly behaved.....
Old 06-21-2020, 01:26 PM
Jim.Thompson

Six Servo Slope Glider Program.

Hi Ted,
Do you use a 6 servo glider set up? You possibly have read my exchange over on the other forum, along with my expression of bewilderment at the description of Mike Shellims templates as "simple".
I find them far, far too complex for normal application. For starters, they each rely heavily upon CAL mode, which we discussed on this thread earlier and more or less dismissed as unnecessary for the novice. His templates rely heavily upon CAL mode as far as I can tell.
Enough said about them, I trust. Except to say, that the expert OpenTx users love them.

Question:
Do you have and use 6 servo slope glider set ups for OpenTx? Or for thermal 6 servo glider?
And if so, are you prepared to share them? I will have a go at setting one up myself tonight. Maybe I can post the .otx file here for your, or someone else, to appraise. Would that be acceptable?

Jim.
Old 06-21-2020, 02:50 PM
tedsander

Sorry Jim, I haven't ever tackled something like that. I only have one soarer, and it is very basic.
If you get something that almost works, though, I would be glad to take a look at it to see if I can devin what issues it may be having!

Ted
Old 06-21-2020, 09:09 PM
Jim.Thompson

Originally Posted by tedsander
Sorry Jim, I haven't ever tackled something like that. I only have one soarer, and it is very basic.
If you get something that almost works, though, I would be glad to take a look at it to see if I can devin what issues it may be having!
Ted
Ok Ted. I plan to assemble one of my 3 mtr. 6 servo gliders tonight and start setting it up in OpenTx.
I'll post a report later.
Thanks,

Jim.
Old 06-29-2020, 03:35 AM
Jim.Thompson

Default Six servo slope glider set up.

I now have a functional full house glider set up. I will post the .otx file here if anyone is interested in viewing it and checking for errors etc.

Jim.
Old 06-29-2020, 03:40 AM
Jim.Thompson

Default Stand alone Companion Simulator.

I was advised over on the rcgroups thread that there is such a thing after I reported problems with the functioning of the simulator in Companion. Mine would load sometimes and most times not.
I did get some answers to questions about where to find the file for this and a couple of very cryptic answers to further questions of how to use it.
I still don't know how to use it and the subject appears to have stalled over there; I am explaining this, as technically, this is a double post.

Could someone please explain how I use it? (I know how to use the one included in Companion).
I am using Linux Mint 19.3 and have Companion 2.2.3 loaded currently.

Jim.
Old 06-29-2020, 06:12 AM
tedsander

Jim - saw your posts over in the other group. Same answer duplicated here, in case others see it in the future:

OpenTX Companion, when installing, also installs a free standing version of the Radio Simulator. Similar to, but with a slight difference, from the one that is available when Companion is running.

I've never had the need for the stand alone simulator. Here's what I found with limited testing:

There is an initial Startup screen - "Open TX Simulator - Startup Options". It asks about the Radio Profile, and the Radio Type, These appear to be drawn from existing configurations already defined through the use of Companion. I have three different Radio Profiles currently in Companion. These are the only ones available to me in the Simulator.

The Data File can be any .otx file saved from Companion. It seems to default initially to looking for a ".bin" file, but I have had no luck getting it to read one. After the first read of an .otx file, it will then default to the last known file location when starting up in the future.

SD Image path is, of course, where on your computer you have a copy of all the SD files. It can also be the actual SD card, if your radio is plugged in via USB.

Any changes you make in the Simulator are saved back to the .otx file. when you close the simulator, but not before.

Any changes made to the same file, using Companion, are not written until you Save the file from within Companion.

So, if making a change using the Simulator: one must close the Simulator, then close the file in Companion, and re-open it in Companion to see the changes there.
Vice versa, if making a change in Companion: one must save the file, then close and start up the Simulator again to see the changes.

The version of the Simulator inside Companion allows you to make changes while using it, but they are NOT saved when the Simulator is closed.
Old 06-29-2020, 01:27 PM
Jim.Thompson

Jim - saw your posts over in the other group. Same answer duplicated here, in case others see it in the future:

Thanks Ted.
Old 08-03-2020, 02:43 PM
Jim.Thompson

J.........................

So, if making a change using the Simulator: one must close the Simulator, then close the file in Companion, and re-open it in Companion to see the changes there.
Vice versa, if making a change in Companion: one must save the file, then close and start up the Simulator again to see the changes.

The version of the Simulator inside Companion allows you to make changes while using it, but they are NOT saved when the Simulator is closed..........................
Ted,
My apologies for the very late reply. However, I did try my installed separate simulator and found exactly the same irregular and inconsistent behavior, so I quickly went back to using the "main" Companion Simulator.
I get by now with it by repeating the "reload radio data" as many times as required to get it to boot into operation and reflect the actual loaded transmitter data.
It works this way.
Besides, the above saving procedures might be enough to cross up an old bloke like me one early morning and so lose some important data (again)!
Better to be safe than sorry.

Thanks for the detailed explanation.

Jim.

Last edited by Jim.Thompson; 08-03-2020 at 02:58 PM.
Old 09-15-2020, 02:25 AM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jim.Thompson
Jim,

I've been running OpenTx on x9D+ for a little over a year now. As for Companion, I'm also a Linux guy, in my case Ubuntu.

Though I'm just getting started, I do have one LUA script installed for one of my MRs. What it does is replace the screen(s) you normally see on the radio while flying with a virtual instrument panel ... attitude gyro, flight mode, heading, altitude, position, etc. However, what's great about it is the data feeding this display is COMING BACK from the MR in the telemetry feed! The data from the flight controller is sent to the radio via telemetry and then the LUA script converts it for the on-screen display. So when I flip a switch on the radio to change mode, the screen reflects mode as reported by the flight controller. So it's true confirmation of mode rather than just reporting a switch position. I've appended a link below to a discussion that's a lot more cogent than what I've described.

As for Companion on a Linux box, it's worked fine for me. Sometimes the simulator won't work ... but shutting it down and restarting has fixed it every time. Honestly, I don't use the simulator function that much. However, I love using it to make radio changes ... way easier especially if you are doing curves.

https://discuss.px4.io/t/yaapu-lua-f...firmware/12708
Old 09-17-2020, 03:51 PM
foamee

Originally Posted by franklin_m
Jim,

I've been running OpenTx on x9D+ for a little over a year now. As for Companion, I'm also a Linux guy, in my case Ubuntu.

Though I'm just getting started, I do have one LUA script installed for one of my MRs. What it does is replace the screen(s) you normally see on the radio while flying with a virtual instrument panel ... attitude gyro, flight mode, heading, altitude, position, etc. However, what's great about it is the data feeding this display is COMING BACK from the MR in the telemetry feed! The data from the flight controller is sent to the radio via telemetry and then the LUA script converts it for the on-screen display. So when I flip a switch on the radio to change mode, the screen reflects mode as reported by the flight controller. So it's true confirmation of mode rather than just reporting a switch position. I've appended a link below to a discussion that's a lot more cogent than what I've described.

As for Companion on a Linux box, it's worked fine for me. Sometimes the simulator won't work ... but shutting it down and restarting has fixed it every time. Honestly, I don't use the simulator function that much. However, I love using it to make radio changes ... way easier especially if you are doing curves.
Yes I agree, I am unsure why other companies do not have something like companion, I much prefer to program on my laptop then with a computer radio. It is also good for radio backups, especially model backups.
Old 11-29-2020, 03:32 PM
Jim.Thompson

Copying Model Memories.

I want to copy a model memory within my Taranis X9D Plus, running OpenTx 2.2.1 to use to fly a similar model.
I specifically don't to "Copy to anther Transmitter", which is what is offered up when I do a search.

Can you describe how this is done without compromising the copied model, or any other model memories in the Taranis please?
Or, if it can be done?

Jim.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.