Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Spektrum DX9 question

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 01:07 PM
JMCHASE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spektrum DX9 question

what is the difference between the new Black edition the one in chrome it replaced?
Old 04-01-2015, 07:32 AM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

There are no software differences. The Black Edition includes a case, some bling items, and a different finish on the transmitter.

Andy
Old 04-01-2015, 08:00 AM
JMCHASE

a store here in town has the one prior to the chrome, don't know what to call it. anyway they have it for $440 includes a 9 channel receiver some kind of Christmas special they have 4 left what do you think?
Old 04-01-2015, 08:10 AM
AndyKunz

There are only 2 versions. One is smoked chrome, the other is black. That is a pretty good deal - the receiver alone is worth $150.

Andy
Old 04-01-2015, 08:16 AM
JMCHASE

do you know which receiver? I go over in an hour or so
Old 04-01-2015, 09:35 AM
AndyKunz

Ar9020.
Old 04-02-2015, 05:38 AM
JMCHASE

I picked up the DX9 yesterday it came with an 8 channel. This is the silver radio not the black. I was plesently surprised with the depth of the detail in the manual. It could use some more depth but what i got was better then the material covering the same subjects in the DX6 black. Maybe some day someone will decide to elaborate in more detail the control functions and acronyms. For example throttle cut you have the two positions 0 and i but no real explination of what those two figures mean. I know what they are but pitty a new person. There are many short hand details like this that offer no explination. It forces on to prowl the internet for more explinations. I agree that is one remedy but some oder folks i know are not that internet savy nor do they intend to becom so. I know this may not be politically correct but i dont need a manual in multiple languages. My old Futaba book was just as thick and it is all english with explicit details on each function. Of course that was 7.2 ...
Old 04-02-2015, 05:47 AM
AndyKunz

We get this kind of feedback all the time, so our manuals are always evolving. The DX6 and DX7 manuals include things that came as feedback from the DX18 and DX9, which in turn included items from the DX7s/DX8, and so on.

For the boxed number question, does the tip on page 8 not answer this sufficiently for you? If not, how would you suggest it be expanded? I will be happy to forward your revised paragraph to the tech writer team for their consideration in whatever comes out next.

Thanks for the feedback!

Andy
Old 04-02-2015, 06:06 AM
JMCHASE

Absolutely, Im in the insurance business and we fight this problem all the time. Actuaries are allways making changes and attempting to relay those changes to us and the public. Have you ever tried to read you insurance policy? Then you know what i am referring to. Tech writers fall into the same trap they try to communicate meanings and definitions using tech jargon like the example you gave. "The value or condition will act on this position." Say what? Why not say it in plain english like "when the switch you choose is in position o it will be...and when it is in position i it will be..." I realize due to constraints the tech writters need to minimize word count but perhaps someone besides tech writters should proof read this.
Old 04-02-2015, 07:04 AM
JMCHASE

One other point i would posit Iknow why companies do this. The multilanguage manual and shortcut on definitions. Its an economics balance. The more companies provide the more the consumer pay. But i am of the opinion that some of this is based on a false premis. I own several companies. I at one time was an advocate of HP printers. Great printer great customer service. As a cost benefit move they moved tech support overseas. I tried to work with them but after several faild attempts with a language barrier and them sending me a refurbished printer after i paid for a new one that refused to function i dumped HP and went to another provider. Spektrum / Horizon is terrific at tech support and walking you through difficult setups. They allways call you back when you arrange it.
The only burr under my horses saddle is the manial but then after looking at all the others manuals its better overall. Finally i woul be more then willing to pay extra dollars for a more detailed manual. Perhaps it could be an addendum in addition to the regular book One does not venture into this hobby to scrimp on pennies.
Old 04-02-2015, 07:12 AM
AndyKunz

I suspect this is part of the reason why HH is so tolerant of me providing help, mostly on the RCG Radios forum. We have built a huge library of questions and answers there, as well as a user-developed/maintained Wiki and user-developed/maintain radio comparison chart.

Andy
Old 04-02-2015, 07:57 AM
JMCHASE

It would be great if the comments could be put in pdf form and then we could print them. I dont like filtering through all the threads trying to get to the point i downloaded several from arajr that were well documented and put them in a binder for quick reference
Old 04-02-2015, 08:02 AM
AndyKunz

That's what the Wiki guys are doing. Just google for "DX9 wiki" and it will pull it up.

Andy
Old 04-02-2015, 08:43 AM
JMCHASE

ok, I found the site but what's a wiki?
Old 04-02-2015, 09:47 AM
AndyKunz

You found the DX9 wiki or you found the RCG Radios forum?

A wiki is online encyclopedia of sorts. Short for wikipedia.

Andy
Old 04-02-2015, 11:12 AM
JMCHASE

I found the wiki but radio forum is that seperate from this forum?
Old 04-02-2015, 11:26 AM
AndyKunz

Yes, it's "the competition" although the two sites are hardly comparable. This whole area gets fewer posts in a day than we make on individual threads over there.

"RCG" is short for "RCGroups.com" - perhaps that's why you couldn't find it?

Andy
Old 04-02-2015, 02:03 PM
JMCHASE

Thanks
Old 06-05-2016, 12:21 PM
SigMan
My Feedback: (21)

Just got my Black Edition. now i have to learn to use it.
Old 06-06-2016, 06:51 PM
rhd-RCU
My Feedback: (36)

I have 15 or more models in mine and have never opened the manual. It doesn't get any easier.