Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

High Voltage Servo Throttle Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 05:02 PM
montagma
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High Voltage Servo Throttle Question

Looking to upgrade a plane to eliminate voltage regulators. I have ordered some high voltage servos (7.4V nominal) that are also programmable. Would it be best to program the throttle servo to move at a slower speed? This is being used with a DLE 20cc gas engine. TIA
Old 05-28-2015, 04:06 PM
woodie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the transit time for the HV throttle servo is approx the same as a regular servo you would normally use on throttle, there is no need to program the servo to reduce the speed. ie if the normal servo has a transit time of .15 seconds and the HV servo is close to the same, no need to program for slower rotation. HV does not necessarily mean the servo is faster or stronger, it just means it is capable of handling the higher voltages without overheating or damaging the circuitry.

Woodie
Old 05-28-2015, 04:31 PM
pilotpete2

The Hitec HS-430BH HV (14 bucks) is a good choice for use on a throttle. Dual BB decent speed and more torque than is needed for a throttle servo.
The plastic gears are a plus for a throttle servo, since they're tighter than most MG servos, and they stay that way much longer than MG servos.
Pete
Old 05-29-2015, 06:20 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Because the throttle servo only moves at the speed you move the throttle stick, you really want a servo that responds to the stick as quickly as possible, just like with other control functions. If you need the throttle servo to move slowly, just move the throttle stick slowly. I'd suggest that you use the fastest servos your budget allows for all functions. That will give you the best control feel possible.
Old 05-30-2015, 11:54 AM
montagma
My Feedback: (3)

Thanks for the help! The HiTec servos I purchased are about twice as fast as the equivalent servos I could use at a low voltage setting. I am going to try it at the factory speed and see how it is. I can always program it to move slower.