Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Reload this Page >

8FG SUPER talking to several receivers at the same time

Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

8FG SUPER talking to several receivers at the same time

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 01:33 PM
needlenoses

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 8FG SUPER talking to several receivers at the same time

I only found out about this issue because after all these years /I was field servicing two planes at the same time. I left the battery connected ( yes, I know ) on my YAK which has a 66106HFC receiver while I prepared another plan for flight ENIGMA which had a
R 617FS receiver. The transmitter was set to the correct model and I found both plane's control surfaces operated at the same time. Fortunately both planes had throttle lock set to the same switch. The are no other flyers using Futaba at the field I was at so maybe that was a good thing.

Got it home and on further investigation found that the same thing happened to three other planes sporting another 3 R6106 HFC. I have a R6008SB that was unresponsive in another plane. And the smallerR6106HF partially responded.

My understanding, obviously wrong, is that each plane setting on the Transmitter links to the corresponding receiver with a secure digital signal.

This could turn out to be a serious issue while flying although nothing ugly has happened yet with up to 20 other flyers at a field on any given day.

Any pointers would be appreciated
Old 06-26-2015, 02:10 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by needlenoses
I only found out about this issue because after all these years /I was field servicing two planes at the same time. I left the battery connected ( yes, I know ) on my YAK which has a 66106HFC receiver while I prepared another plan for flight ENIGMA which had a
R 617FS receiver. The transmitter was set to the correct model and I found both plane's control surfaces operated at the same time. Fortunately both planes had throttle lock set to the same switch. The are no other flyers using Futaba at the field I was at so maybe that was a good thing.

Got it home and on further investigation found that the same thing happened to three other planes sporting another 3 R6106 HFC. I have a R6008SB that was unresponsive in another plane. And the smallerR6106HF partially responded.

My understanding, obviously wrong, is that each plane setting on the Transmitter links to the corresponding receiver with a secure digital signal.

This could turn out to be a serious issue while flying although nothing ugly has happened yet with up to 20 other flyers at a field on any given day.

Any pointers would be appreciated
Rest assured , you would not have controlled any of your Friend's planes that were Futaba equipped . Only receivers bound to your TX will be operated by your TX . Thing is , ANY RX bound to your TX will operate no matter which model's profile is selected as Futaba lacks the "Model Match" feature that the much maligned Spektrum system , among others , includes . Yes indeed , with "Model Match" , the only RX that operates is the one selected in the TX memory of programmed in settings . All other RXs will not be active unless their profile is selected . With no "Model Match" , it IS possible to control a RX with the flight trim settings (model profile) of the wrong one selected , leading to one Hell of an interesting flight . For future reference , BEFORE you fly anything , make damned sure the right model's profile is selected in the TX !

I've often wondered why Futaba never adopted their own version of a model matching system ? I wonder if it's "owned intellectual property" and can only be used under paid license ? Since Spektrum copied SBus from Futaba I think it'd be OK for Futaba to copy Spektrum's "Model Match" as this day to day safety enhancement sounds far more important to me than whether all data goes down one wire or many (the basis of SBus) .....

Last edited by init4fun; 06-26-2015 at 02:31 PM.
Old 06-26-2015, 02:29 PM
needlenoses

I guess I have just been lucky having not run into this scenario before. Most of my issues are the usual brain to hand problems. I do like the transmitter even though the programing learning curve was initially a tad steep. Mostly translation!!
Thanks for input. I feel a bit safer now. I will let the flyers that ran for cover know.
Old 06-26-2015, 02:48 PM
init4fun

Originally Posted by needlenoses
I guess I have just been lucky having not run into this scenario before. Most of my issues are the usual brain to hand problems. I do like the transmitter even though the programing learning curve was initially a tad steep. Mostly translation!!
Thanks for input. I feel a bit safer now. I will let the flyers that ran for cover know.
Your Welcome for the input . I hate to see a fellow flyer's confidence in their system shaken , especially if it's the model match thing which does alarm a lot of people who find out about it in the way you did . It truly is not any kind of malfunction on your system's part , instead it's a feature not included by the manufacturer from day one . So , a simple glance of which model is selected , during the preflight inspection , is all that's needed to avert trouble . You just gotta make REAL sure you do the check , as there is no electronic crutch in this regard to prevent flying off with another model's programming .

A funny side story ;

My first 2,4 GHZ radio was the 6EX2.4 and it had what was referred to as the "Zero GUID" malfunction in manufacturing . Your radio , which is operating normally , will NOT control any other radio not bound to it due to it's "Globally Unique IDentification system" numbers . An RX must have the same number sequence as your TX , which is done at the time of Binding . The TX's GUID gets stored in the RX as the only one it'll accept commands from . Well , a bunch of TXes got out of the factory with their GUIDs programed to "0000000" . And , with no unique number , just zeros for every character , ANY RX programmed to a Zero GUID TX was operated , and yes this does mean it would control other people's models if they too were zero GUID !!!! I think there were a few crashes at large RC flying events and that's how it was found . My TX ended up getting sent in and reprogrammed with a proper GUID for free under warranty and luckily I never shot anyone down cause I was the first and only one at my field with the "newfangled" 2.4 .

Last edited by init4fun; 06-26-2015 at 02:55 PM.
Old 06-26-2015, 03:03 PM
needlenoses

My first Futaba was also the 6E and no, I did not shoot anyone down except in full contact combat. Thanks for input. I will breath a bit easier now. Still odd that a couple of the receivers did not respond at all.

This is my usual fleet that I fly right now. I enjoy the variety.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3713.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	3.24 MB
ID:	2105918  
Old 06-26-2015, 03:12 PM
init4fun

Nice looking fleet !

I fly pretty much the same kinds of planes , Everything but the flying wings . Got nothing against em , love to watch others fly em , I just have a real hard time telling which end is which once they get a good distance away from me . With a big ol tail I can always keep track of which way it's going
Old 06-26-2015, 03:27 PM
needlenoses

Looks like you are flying a gas/electric mix; good deal; I had nitro years back; when I started up again I was travelling around for 6 months/year in a motorhome and just didn't want to hassle of the fuel and mess. Got back into it in about 2006-2007 and like an idiot, bought a Parkzone Stryker C ( if my date is correct ). That was a mistake. I like flying slow stuff sometimes, and I have a need for speed controlled by my wallet. The Parkzone Spitfire got up to 79MPH and the Stryker hit 119 MPH. I use the Eagle Tree Airspeed unit which is accurate enough. Too much money I think for me to push them any farther. I am now working on a "Never Flown" Parkzone Spitfire; taking it right apart, adding carbon fibre, replacing hinges with pin-hinges and I am going to paint it up more racy like the voodoo. I am leaning towards an orange base color.
Old 06-26-2015, 04:13 PM
init4fun

The PZ Spitfire sounds like a great project , I like to personalize my ARFs as much as possible too , it makes them more "ours" rather than looking like every other one does . Biggest thing is I remove all the stickers that come with them for a much cleaner look . I do still run some engine powered as you noticed in my photos , but out of an honest 40 model airplanes I own , 15 are fuel powered (either Gasoline or Glow) with the other 25 being electric The electrics really lend themselves to "grab and go" flying at a moment's notice VS the fuel powered which can only be flown at certain fields which aren't as close as my local schoolyard . The half hour cleanup of glow slime is another huge factor in my electric flying preference , even though I grew up flying engine powered . Yea , in my youth electric was a dream , a dream I chased with control line planes having the lines carrying the power and a small car battery in a camping backpack for power . Thank God for LIPOs
Old 06-29-2015, 05:46 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

We're moving this to the General Radios Forum. The Manufacturer's Support forum is not a discussion forum, and this one went into a discussion over the weekend.