Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Reload this Page >

THis might be the "Dumb" question everone is looking for!

Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

THis might be the "Dumb" question everone is looking for!

Old 07-15-2015, 02:42 PM
perdo
My Feedback: (61)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default THis might be the "Dumb" question everone is looking for!

I have scratch bulit a Clancy Lazy Bee, and have the radio set up for the right stick to operate elevator and rudder, Left stick throttle only. Now here is my question can I build a Y adapter for the rudder servo to plug in to channel 1 and channel 4 and have the control on the left stick also for taxi and takeoff and landing? I know I would need one female and two male ends on the Y. Will it work on and old 5 channel futaba set?

Thanks much for putting up with this question and for the forthcoming help
Old 07-15-2015, 04:19 PM
mattnew
My Feedback: (2)

If you have a computer radio you might be able to set it up so that both sticks controlled the same output, so for example both left and right sticks controlled channel 1 or channel 4... but you wouldn't be able to just Y cable the two together as you would be sending 2 different PWM signals to teh same servo. Wouldn't work at all that way.
Old 07-16-2015, 04:33 AM
Steve Percifield
My Feedback: (14)

No won't work and could possibly damage the receiver. It would help to know what model transmitter you have. You need to do what you want with mixing. I do exactly what you want but with mixing on my indoor micros. . Even some of the "non computer" radios had mixing via switches. Check on that..
Old 07-16-2015, 05:59 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why don't you just use the right stick to steer with on the ground like has been done on three-channel models since they were invented? Then, no special setup or mixing is needed.
Old 07-16-2015, 07:59 AM
perdo

Bax
that is what I have been doing however I getting old and most of what I fly is 4 or more chanel set up in mode 2, trying to get my poor little brain to remeber that two model are different is getting harder to do. I hate to tell ou but when you get "old" you will understand LOL.

Thanks to all who have replied, and happy landings.

Don///
Old 07-16-2015, 09:21 AM
Steve Percifield

then hand launch it and forget about any steering.
Old 07-16-2015, 12:35 PM
ptgarcia
My Feedback: (36)

Which transmitter are you using? This can be solved with a decent computer radio.
Old 07-16-2015, 12:46 PM
perdo

To Steve: I hand launched for years but the ole rotator cuff surgery took care of those days. And to PTGarcia: I am using one of the old Futaba 5 channel PCM radios, it was one of the first with servo reversing, but it work great and I am cheap, I do have several computer radios, but they are all dedicated now.
Old 07-16-2015, 05:53 PM
Steve Percifield

Originally Posted by perdo View Post
To Steve: I hand launched for years but the ole rotator cuff surgery took care of those days. And to PTGarcia: I am using one of the old Futaba 5 channel PCM radios, it was one of the first with servo reversing, but it work great and I am cheap, I do have several computer radios, but they are all dedicated now.
Had a Lazy Bee many years ago. Didn't require a throw. I could just push it away and it would fly off. Fun Plane. It was of my first electrics, long time ago. And I know about frugal, I just retired a 30 year Futaba transmitter myself.
Old 07-18-2015, 07:49 PM
rccrazedman
My Feedback: (10)

i don't know if its possible being how much room is in the plane. would you be able to set up a mini servo on the wheel on channel 4? or would that be recommended against?
Old 07-20-2015, 08:42 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm 64, been a hobbyist for nearly 60 years, RC for over 40.

You cannot program two channels to operate a single servo. However, you can just add a servo plugged into channel 4 to control tailwheel steering, if if the tailwheel is not mounted onto the rudder. Or uou can mix the rudder channel to the aileron channel so that the left-hand stick will control the rudder and tailwheel.

Last edited by Bax; 07-20-2015 at 08:45 AM.