Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Reload this Page >

Specktrum radios; why did you crash? Why did you have a "brown-out?"

Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Specktrum radios; why did you crash? Why did you have a "brown-out?"

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 10:12 AM
impulse09
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're seriously $40,000 in the hole as far as lost airframes, how much more is it going to take for you to go with another vendor?

Futaba, JR, Jeti, etc.

Penny wise...
Old 09-09-2015, 10:15 AM
jefflangton
My Feedback: (23)

we call em rectum at our field. They suck ass and everybody knows it!!!!!!
Old 09-09-2015, 10:23 AM
Westwindpilot86

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Looking forward to your videos Topgun. I fly with futaba mainly but have the new/ dx7 for my bnf stuff. I dont fly anything expensive on that spektrum radio. Topgun, are you going to post the videos on here as well?
Old 09-09-2015, 10:24 AM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The 16 channel transmitter is the Taranis x9d from China.
Old 09-09-2015, 10:30 AM
757jonp
My Feedback: (48)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Lost $40k worth of airplanes using spectrum equipment??? You must really really like that radio system. Heck, I coulda cured that whole problem about $38.5k ago easy breezy!
Old 09-09-2015, 10:57 AM
rcguy59
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The guys at our field have fairly good luck with Specktrum, but still more problems than they should. Being a Futaba guy, I decided to have a bit of fun at their expense.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0264.JPG
Views:	1056
Size:	3.47 MB
ID:	2119004   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0263.JPG
Views:	948
Size:	3.42 MB
ID:	2119005  
Old 09-09-2015, 11:13 AM
John_M_

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I always use separate receiver and servo power supplies... I put the servos on their own power buss, that way the receiver is unaffected by high current draw / voltage drops from the servos.

To be honest, I've never owned a spectrum radio, but I almost bought the DX9; but I was reluctant after reading about the service bulletins and recalls for bad pots, etc on some of their other radio models... I guess that's to be expected when flooding the market with low priced radios to try and dominate the radio market... I think I would drop the $3000 grand on a futaba 18MZA, before even considering the DX18.

John M,

Last edited by John_M_; 09-09-2015 at 11:36 AM.
Old 09-09-2015, 11:22 AM
Westwindpilot86

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I always use separate receiver and servo power supplies... I put the servos on their own power buss, that way the receiver is unaffected by high current draw / voltage drops from the servos.To be honest, I've never owned a spectrum radio, but I almost bought the DX9; but I was reluctant after reading about the service bulletins and recall for bad pots, etc on some of their other radio models... I guess that's is to be expected when flooding the market with low priced radios to try and dominate the radio market... I think I would drop the $3000 grand on a futaba 18MZA, before even considering the DX18.

John M,
I was planning on getting the 18szh. Basically the same as the 18mz minus camera and only a few other options. And alot cheaper.
Old 09-09-2015, 11:55 AM
mikes68charger
My Feedback: (34)

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Westwindpilot86
Looking forward to your videos Topgun. I fly with futaba mainly but have the new/ dx7 for my bnf stuff. I dont fly anything expensive on that spektrum radio. Topgun, are you going to post the videos on here as well?
I dont really get this post, I think every manufactor has had issuse.

I know my boy had issues with DX8, lost 2 planes, finily sent it in, it turned out to be part of his long rang board was bad, (something like that) so he sold his stuff and swich to Futaba, its funny thow, he has wasted more money with Futaba, buring up servos and losing a plane becouse of the digital reciver thing.. What ever.

I have lost a plane with my DX9, it was my falt, it had a Spectrum nicad reciver pack in it, I charged it up for my first show, while trying to get ready for my first flight my TX had a low voltage alarm go off, I thought no way I charged it all night, (put it on the fast charger at the feild 5min later it said it was good to go) put it back in the TX, and was 5min into my flight when my New Top Flight Gaint P51, droped its retracts and the motor shut off 5 feet off the deck during my high speed fly by, I looked down and my TX was turned off, it turn out one of the nicad cells fried and melted the plastic, and shut off my TX. Was this Spectrums falt or mine? I say it was mine for not seeing the signs.

Almost every one I know flys Spectrum with a few Futaba, All the crashes I see are peaples flying skills or poor power set ups. (One time a guys showed up with a 120in DLE111 IMac plane with a Spectrum DMS2 7channel Reciver with 1 5cell nicand for the plane and 1 4cell for the reciver.........
Old 09-09-2015, 12:09 PM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I ran into this brown out deal a few years back (w/Hitec A9 were first released) when getting into hotter planes demanding bigger and more powerful servos (gas). To make a long story much shorter, after loosing 2 planes and nearly loosing 2 more, I found anyone flying NiCad or NiMh on anything bigger that a .40 size glow plane is just asking for trouble....

It wasn't the radio, the servos, or the switches - it was the POS batteries!
Old 09-09-2015, 12:45 PM
Cobra1
My Feedback: (42)

Can't wait for the videos. I use a DX9 with no problems so far but I have always used a LiFe battery in all planes for the last 6 or 7 years.
Old 09-09-2015, 12:49 PM
aris1

Hi Dwayne,
Sorry about what happened to you.After 30 years flying with JR,without a single problem,I also tried spektrum,five years ago,and I also
LOST 2 AIRPLANES,in one month.I have nothing against spektrum,but I am wondering after so many crashes here in europe,how people
are still chosing spektrum,when you have Futaba,and JR,on the market.!!!!!!!!!Keep on modeling.Regards
Aris 1
Old 09-09-2015, 01:05 PM
bafflerback
My Feedback: (6)

I purchased my first Specktrum radio back when they had the 5 channel park flyer radio. I was flying it in a 30 size heli because I travel and camp a lot. I when to the Specktrum radio because I didn't what to shoot someone at an AMA flying sight down while I was flying in a campground. In all the time I have been flying these ratios I've had 2 brown-outs. The first was in a heli. I was flying along and the engine quit. I autoed it down and readjusted the engine. Took off again and the engine quit. I readjusted it again an on the next flight the radio locked out and I lost the Heli. The other was with a Cardan Yak I am flying.

With the Yak every time I did a snap the radio would lock up and the engine would quit. I found the same problem with the Yak that lead to the problem with the heli. A bad battery. I moved up to 2 cell LiFe's and no more issues. I can't blame Hangar 9 or Spektrum because I wasn't running enough battery or in my case a good battery.
Old 09-09-2015, 01:11 PM
stegl

Yes, there are a lot of Spektrum radios out there and there are some that are "lucky" and have no problems . But if you follow the forums , there are one heck of a lot of users that are having issues and return after return , of their equipment to Horizon H to get fixed. How many users have to do upgrades at home to fix potential problems ? Another question : if the Spektrum system is so great why did JR get the heck out and start a new system ........Got to be something to it.
The only way Horizon keeps their head above water on this one is every few years they introduce new radio models and almost everyone figures it's gotta be the best and buys. I bet not too many people look at the return shipping for fixes into the cost of owning a radio system. Guess what , it does. Have had several friends loose aircraft with unexplained crashes when using the problem radio... That's my rant for today.
Old 09-09-2015, 01:31 PM
castlebravo

I'm still tryin to determine how someone who could not even figure out how to put a diode in series with a battery pack without a schematic can figure out exactly which components in his radio system were defective......

CB
Old 09-09-2015, 01:34 PM
52jaws
My Feedback: (65)

Why hasn't Spektrum made a battery recommendation then is my question?
If LiFe batteries or 6 volt packs are a remedy from what I've gathered reading everything in this forum....then why not a "hey guys.....bump your receiver power up" . Problem with that is that most of if not "all" their radios come with a 4.8v pack.
I don't have issues with mine. That's because it's not Spektrum :-)
Does suck though for all those out there that have made an investment.
Old 09-09-2015, 02:12 PM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Don't assume your problems are resolved moving to 5 cell (6.0 v) NiMh. Though your voltage will be up, the amperage delivery attributes don't change one bit. The batteries suck, period! Get used to the concept if you haven't yet. As mentioned, they have no business in anything bigger than a .40 sized glow - 4 cell, or 5 cell.

If you're struggling with the idea, look into it further. There's a darn good reason people are moving away from NiMh technology.....
Old 09-09-2015, 02:28 PM
John_M_

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Westwindpilot86
I was planning on getting the 18szh. Basically the same as the 18mz minus camera and only a few other options. And alot cheaper.

That is a nice radio... I have the 14SG, great radio, but if the18SZA was available at the time I purchased the14SG, I would have got it instead.

John M,

Last edited by John_M_; 09-09-2015 at 02:31 PM.
Old 09-09-2015, 02:59 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Originally Posted by TOPGUN WINNER
You are correct. I have videos showing that exact problem
Well if the led is on solid after the incident(s) then it's not a "brown-out". Something else is going on.
I remember years ago there were issues with certain Spektrum receivers browning-out but that issue seemed to have been resolved early on.
I also remember the "whiskers" issue on satellites that downed one plane at my field . In the last few years I have not seen any failures and the only brown-outs have been on planes with bad or under-rated batteries for the receiver load.
Still the best insurance is to always check your equipment, batteries, and perform a range check before every flight......regardless of the systems manufacturer.
Old 09-09-2015, 03:20 PM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (29)

Originally Posted by TOPGUN WINNER
I HAVE LOST AT LEAST A DOZEN AIRCRAFT SINCE I STARTED USING SPEKTRUM RADIO EQUIPMENT. AT FIRST, I THOUGHT I WAS BEING "JAMMED" BY AN OUTSIDE SOURCE...ALL OF MY FRIENDS FLYING SPEKTRUM STARTED HAVING THE SO CALLED "BROWN-OUTS".

i HAVE BEEN TOLD THAT THE ONLY CRASHES IN "I MAC" (THAT WERE ATTRIBUTED TO RADIO MALFUNCTIONS) WAS SPEKTRUM. I HAVE SPOKEN TO TWO OF THE PILOTS THAT CRASHED AND THEY WERE INDEED FLYING SPEKTRUM DX-18 TOP OF THE LINE RADIOS.

WE HAVE HAD OVER 30 CRASHES AT JUST ONE OF THE CLUBS I BELONG TO. 100% SPEKTRUM RADIOS. ( i AM NOT INCLUDING "PILOT ERROR" CRASHES...THEY WILL ALWAYS TAKE THEIR TOLE. NO ONE IS PERFECT ALL THE TIME.

I AM TALKING ABOUT FLYING YOUR FAVORITE AIRPLANE. SHOWING YOUR FRIENDS WHAT YOU GOT AND "WHAM" YOU GOT NO CONTROL OF ANYTHING !!! YOU CAN'T EVEN CUT YOU THROTTLE TO REDUCE THE "IMPACT"...WHY? OH, YOU JUST HAD A "BROWN-OUT"...THAT'S COMMON WITH SPEKTRUM. I AM SICK OF HEARING THAT...COME ON SPEKTRUM...FIX YOUR PROBLEM. (HORIZON HOBBIES OWNS SPEKTRUM)

THAT SHOULD NOT BE "COMMON" WITH ANY RADIO...I FLY TWO OTHER BRANDS OF RADIOS AND HAVE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM OF ANY KIND WHEN IT COMES TO RADIOS...i HAVE BEEN FLYING U-CONTROL GAS SINCE 1945 AND RADIO CONTROL SINCE 1954...WOW, I MUST BE 80 AND STILL FLYING AND TEACHING ABOUT 20 STUDENTS A YEAR... I LOVE THIS HOBBY. MAYBE IF WE WORK TOGETHER WE CAN GET THE PROBLEM FIXED.

I TAKE THAT BACK...WE WILL GET THE PROBLEM FIXED...WHATEVER IT TAKES. RIGHT?

BEFORE WE GET INTO DETAILS: TELL US ABOUT YOU RADIOS PROBLEMS THAT CAUSED YOU TO CRASH. IT DOES NOT HAVE TO BE JUST SPEKTRUM...SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS ON WHY YOU HAD THE PROBLEM...MAYBE WI-FI CAUSED IT ...OR MAYBE A CELL PHONE....however, I THINK "NOT" I THINK IT IS A SELF INDUCED PROBLEM BY THE MANUFACTURER. THAT'S JUST ONE OPINION...EVERYONE HAS THEIR OWN. PLEASE SHARE YOURS. I THINK IT IS A DESIGN FLAW THAT GOT THROUGH BY RUNNING THE WRONG QUALITY TESTS...SUPPORT CAN'T FIND IT...REALLY.

IT IS VERY IMPORTANT THAT WE SOLVE THIS PROBLEM. ONE "IMAC" AIRPLANE CAN COST OVER $10,000...THAT'S A LOT TO LOOSE.
SOMEONE NEEDS TO BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE AND BE FORCED TO STEP UP AND FIX THIS PROBLEM.I PROMISE THAT THEY KNOW THAT THERE IS A FIX AVAILABLE. MAYBE THEY ARE TRYING TO FIGURE IT OUT ON THEIR OWN. IF SO, I WISH THEM ALL THE LUCK IN THE WORLD. IF NOT, MAYBE THEY SHOULD HIRE A GIGANTIC TESTING LAB AND SPEND MEGA THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS.

I AM SURE THAT IF WE GIVE THEM ENOUGH INFORMATION THEY WILL FIX THE PROBLEM...I AM ALSO SURE THAT IT IS A VERY SIMPLE FIX...
"BROWN OUTS" CAN MAKE YOU WANT TO QUIT FLYING OR JUST GET A NEW RADIO THAT DOES NOT HAVE THAT PROBLEM.

i AM SURE THAT THERE IS SOME "NOBODY" OUT THERE THAT KNOWS EXACTLY WHAT TO DO TO MAKE IT GO AWAY. MAYBE THEY WILL TALK TO THAT PERSON AND ACTUALLY FIND THE ANSWER. IF THEY HAVE A TECHNICAL EXPERT IN CHARGE THEY WILL. IF THEY HAVE AN "MBA" IN CHARGE THEY WILL NOT.

WHAT WOULD REALLY MAKE ME UPSET IF THE COMPANY KNEW THERE WAS A SIMPLE FIX FOR THE PROBLEM AND DID NOTHING ABOUT IT.
THEN, SHOULDN'T THEY BE REQUIRED TO PAY FOR EVERY AIRCRAFT THAT CRASHED USING THEIR RADIO. THAT SEEMS FAIR, DON'T YOU THINK SO?

SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS...I DON'T WANT TO TOSS MY SPEKTRUM IN THE TRASH..I HAVE OWNED SEVERAL AND LOVE THE RADIO...JUST CAN'T AFFORD ANY MORE "BROWN OUTS".
You know there is a range check to make sure everything is working ? Did you do this ? It's in your manual. What reciever are you running ? Some of the spectrum recievers I would never run in a 30%. But are fine in smaller aircraft.
i fly spectrum. And if any crashes I have are not due to a radio issues.
Old 09-09-2015, 03:20 PM
rcsws

Since there are so many disappointed Spektrum customers out there, I would lo0ve to buy a 9 channel for the right price. Any buddy offering to sell at a real cheap price?
Old 09-09-2015, 03:39 PM
TOPGUN WINNER
My Feedback: (27)

HEY BRIAN,
GOOD INPUT...HOWEVER IT IS A "BROWN OUT" PROBLEM. MY FIRST VIDEO, TAKEN WHEN I WAS A NEOPHYTE IN DIRE NEED OF ASSISTANCE, CLEARLY SHOWS THE Rx AND SATELLITE BOTH GOING DEAD EXACTLY AT THE SAME TIME. THE CONTROLS ALL WIGGLED, THE RUDDER JUMPED LEFT AND RIGHT. AFTER FIVE OR SIX SECONDS THE LIGHTS WOULD COME BACK ON AND EVERYTHING WOULD GO TO NEUTRAL.THE CONTROLS WOULD WORK FINE FOR FIVE OR SIX SECONDS AND THEN IT WOULD DO IT AGAIN. AFTER SOME PRACTICE I COULD MAKE IT "BROWN OUT" ON MY COMMAND. FATE IS THE HUNTER.

THE BATTERY VOLTAGE ON A BRAND NEW FIVE CELL SIX VOLT WAS OVER SIX VOLTS. 2700mAh ...CHANGE BATTERY AND THE SAME THING...YOU CAN SEE THE LIGHTS AND THE CONTROL SURFACES AT THE SAME TIME...THE AIRCRAFT WAS A SMALL SUKOI-26 WITH A LITTLE DLE-30 A FUN KNOCK AROUND AIRPLANE I USE TO TEACH IMAC MANEUVERS WITH MY STUDENTS. IT IS A GREAT LITTLE PLANE FOR "BASIC" CLASS (BEGINNERS)

IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO SEE THE MOVIE SEND ME YOUR E-MAIL AND ALLOW A LARGE AMOUNT OF DATA TO BE RECEIVED. SEE WHAT YOU THINK IS GOING ON.
I AM SURE EVERYONE WOULD VALUE YOUR OPINION.

IF YOU READ MY PROFILE, YOU WILL FIND THAT SPEKTRUM WAS MY FAVORITE RADIO AND STILL IS...I DO A PRE-FLIGHT THAT YOU WOULD NOT BELIEVE.
I STILL WANT A DX-18 TO PLAY WITH NOW THAT I KNOW IT'S LIMITS. AND WHAT IT CAN NOT DO. IT IS A DESIGN FLAW IN THE MAIN CHIP THAT IS A MANUFACTURING PROBLEM. SEND ME A PM WITH YOUR PHONE NUMBER AND I WILL CALL YOU BACK.
THAT GOES FOR THE GOOD GUYS AND THE MIS-INFORMED GOOD GUYS.
Old 09-09-2015, 03:45 PM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, I'd love to sell mine, but since there are so many Spectrum flyers out there who say "I've been flying Spectrum for x years and never had a lick of trouble", I see no reason to sell it cheap.
Old 09-09-2015, 03:49 PM
NCRC
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought you said you would upload the movies to YouTube.
Old 09-09-2015, 04:02 PM
Aerocal

Originally Posted by Jack_K
Mind sharing what the components are and how to use them?
Jack
Apparently in Technicolor. Man.Ask a simple question...
Cant wait for all this to be explained. I kinda thought Brownout was loss of adequate voltage to the system. I didnt know it was actually supposed to be providing its own power.
Maybe a visual will make it less confusing.
Cant wait for the vids. Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.