Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Spectrum

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2015, 10:23 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot
My Feedback: (19)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I often scan these Tx, Rx, and Brownout threads, usually tongue-in-cheek, and usually under the assumption that most of the disasters I read about are what I'd classify as "Operator Error," based mostly upon my experience at the flying fields.

That being said, I now have to re-assess my previous position. Listen to this, and see what it makes you think. I'd like to hear your thoughts.

I recently started building a few new birds, and at least one of them is (for me) high-end (ish). Enough anyway that I decided to upgrade my JR XP9503 to DSMX for that added bit of protection. Since I haven't got any DSMX receivers, I thought I'd pick up a few of them used online and have them checked out when I sent my Transmitter into Horizon for the upgrade. I bought a Spektrum AR9020 with 2 satellites here on RCU, and I also bought two extra satellites and another AR9020 setup on EBay, and some others as well. When I sent them into Horizon with my Tx, I waited for them to come back, and then came the phone call. Horizon Tech Service called to notify me that ALL of the Rx's I had bought were counterfeit!!

Now, I used Paypal to buy them, so now I'm going through the tedious process of returning them to each seller for refunds, and most of the sellers are responding immediately and saying that they'll give me a refund (is that a red flag? Does it mean they knew darn well that the Rx's were bogus?), so I should get my money back in good shape, or at least most of it.

Okay, so we know that I went out over the period of about a month, found some DSMX receivers and bought them, mostly from all different buyers. And we know that ALL of them were found to be counterfeit by the manufacturer (Horizon). To me, my friends, that means that there are a LOT of these counterfeits floating around, being traded online and in every swap meet in the country, and who knows how else?

Maybe some of these brownouts aren't JR or Spektrum in the first place. The factory told me that with many of these counterfeits, the cases are so good that the guys there in Tech Service can't tell them apart visually. They have to open them up and look at the components, or scrutinize the signals they're putting out in order to identify them.

These guys went through a lot of trouble to make theirs look exactly the same. They're not factory seconds, because the components are different. As modelers, are we now in the position where we have to shy away from anything used? What do you guys think about this?

Jim
Old 11-08-2015, 10:42 AM
joebahl
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Well hope U are ready for a $35 registration FEE like full Scale for every plane u have. Comment to at least help your fellow R/C Flyers. U certinally don't believe if they start to require Registration of Quads that's where it going to stop ... It's all about the money. If they are going to sell a million more Quads for Xmas that's an extra 25 million dollars plus the ones out there already. So get off your butt and commen with some respect PLZ
No I think they should outlaw Quads and parts for them too. just the way i feel about them and FAA will do the rest soon. AS far as our planes ,thank the AMA for climing in bed with them . You want to complain about a 30 dollar fee , call the AMA and complain !
Old 11-08-2015, 04:52 PM
Rob2160

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PacificNWSkyPilot
I often scan these Tx, Rx, and Brownout threads, usually tongue-in-cheek, and usually under the assumption that most of the disasters I read about are what I'd classify as "Operator Error," based mostly upon my experience at the flying fields.

That being said, I now have to re-assess my previous position. Listen to this, and see what it makes you think. I'd like to hear your thoughts.

I recently started building a few new birds, and at least one of them is (for me) high-end (ish). Enough anyway that I decided to upgrade my JR XP9503 to DSMX for that added bit of protection. Since I haven't got any DSMX receivers, I thought I'd pick up a few of them used online and have them checked out when I sent my Transmitter into Horizon for the upgrade. I bought a Spektrum AR9020 with 2 satellites here on RCU, and I also bought two extra satellites and another AR9020 setup on EBay, and some others as well. When I sent them into Horizon with my Tx, I waited for them to come back, and then came the phone call. Horizon Tech Service called to notify me that ALL of the Rx's I had bought were counterfeit!!

Now, I used Paypal to buy them, so now I'm going through the tedious process of returning them to each seller for refunds, and most of the sellers are responding immediately and saying that they'll give me a refund (is that a red flag? Does it mean they knew darn well that the Rx's were bogus?), so I should get my money back in good shape, or at least most of it.

Okay, so we know that I went out over the period of about a month, found some DSMX receivers and bought them, mostly from all different buyers. And we know that ALL of them were found to be counterfeit by the manufacturer (Horizon). To me, my friends, that means that there are a LOT of these counterfeits floating around, being traded online and in every swap meet in the country, and who knows how else?

Maybe some of these brownouts aren't JR or Spektrum in the first place. The factory told me that with many of these counterfeits, the cases are so good that the guys there in Tech Service can't tell them apart visually. They have to open them up and look at the components, or scrutinize the signals they're putting out in order to identify them.

These guys went through a lot of trouble to make theirs look exactly the same. They're not factory seconds, because the components are different. As modelers, are we now in the position where we have to shy away from anything used? What do you guys think about this?

Jim
You have a good point Jim, I bought three Spektrum receivers on Ebay and they looked to be genuine. When I did my "full power" range test they dropped out around 200 meters so I never used them in aircraft.

Interestingly, they actually passed the low power range test that is more commonly used. Had I flown with them I am sure my planes would have eventually crashed and I would have blamed the radio.

I am a strong believer in the 7 Ps.
Old 11-08-2015, 06:30 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jim

Originally Posted by Rob2160
You have a good point Jim, I bought three Spektrum receivers on Ebay and they looked to be genuine. When I did my "full power" range test they dropped out around 200 meters so I never used them in aircraft.

Interestingly, they actually passed the low power range test that is more commonly used. Had I flown with them I am sure my planes would have eventually crashed and I would have blamed the radio.

I am a strong believer in the 7 Ps.
Two thoughts first Maybe we should embrace the DOT/FAA's Registration of all things R/C that fly. This would be akin to keeping a logbook with the serial numbers of components used in a given model. Like counterfeit parts in Full Scale, manufactures of bogus parts could be prosecuted for providing any bogus/counterfeit parts used on an FAA/US registered craft.
Second If there are counterfeit equipment then these manufactures should be prosecuted for Endangering the public because they can fail and cause injury.
Now let me ask the question ... Who the HE[[ going to keep track of all the millions of R/C equipment out there and the millions more predicted to be sold this Xmas.
Sort of Ludicrous I'd say How about U?
Old 11-08-2015, 07:14 PM
AirmanBob
My Feedback: (14)

As far as registering drones or aircraft I think they should require registration on any thing that carry's any kind of photo or video equipment only. That would keep it simple and easier to inforce.

Just my .02 cents...
AB
Old 11-09-2015, 06:50 AM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Or explosive payloads. You wouldn't want anybody flying around with anything that can go bang. Terrorists need to register their equipment too, you know!

Andy
(Obviously, this is my comment on how stupid and useless the FAA's proposal is).
Old 11-09-2015, 09:35 AM
Prop_Washer2
My Feedback: (26)

Yep Prop_Washer2... you are right. Nearly everything is made in China these days and we therefore have to buy china made products whether we like it or not.

But, I doubt they make spektrum radios in the same factory as an I-Pad is made.

The whole point of this thread is: there is something wrong with Spektrum. And it sounds like it has to be a quality control issue or the Chinese are putting defective parts in Spektrum. Something is breaking down. And that's a very difficult problem to pin point. I wish I had an electronics back ground, I'd try to figure it out. It's not always the battery and its not always poor installation causing it.

If I owned or worked for Spektrum I'd be in denial too.

It's a shame because I like the look and feel of a Spektrum and their setup menu's are super easy to navigate. But until Spektrum comes up with a fix I'm using Futaba Fasst in my expensive planes. My Dx7s still see's a lot of use though.

Bob

AirmanBob:
So many people are just in DENIAL. These people will never be convinced that something might be wrong with Spectrums, especially the lower end Receivers. But then who cares. So long as it crashes away from me and the flight line I'm OK with it. Problem is it doesn't go that way all the time. To give them the benefit of the doubt the new Hopping DSMX are far better. But maybe the older DSM2 receivers out there that have made it this far so maybe all the defective ones have killed them selves. Do they still make the DSM2's?
Houndog, I hear you and understand. As far as Electronics Background I have a heavy background in the subject matter, in fact I am a DoD and NASA Inspector for all things Electronics including all Space Grade applications. The receivers are very simple in the "Grand Scheme" of things. Howa bout a nearly "Bullet proof" inexpensive 6-channel receiver that has tested to be superior to OrangeRx and some Spektrum Receivers for $5.50 each. I just ordered a 5-Pack for less than $30.00 shipped. I have a bunch more I run in my 50" WS Foamy Warbirds and never had a glitch. Search Lemon RX on YouTube for comparative tests results. Further research will reveal who owns the company, etc...

I fly these and use my higher end receivers for the larger more expensive stuff. It does appear that through my research that some fields are not DSM2/DSMX friendly. Our club field is probably 80% Spektrum flyers on both DSM2 and DSMX Protocols and we have Zero problems that can be attributed to Spektrum brand equipment.

I fly a new Spektrum DX6 as my daily driver for the 50" Foamy Class, and a Hitec Aurora 9 for the bigger birds. My Spektrum works fine with all of my different receivers, (Spektrum, OrangeRx, LemonRx, Fake knock off Orange Recievers marked AR500, etc,,,).

Last edited by Prop_Washer2; 11-09-2015 at 09:37 AM.
Old 11-09-2015, 03:52 PM
joebahl
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jim

Two thoughts first Maybe we should embrace the DOT/FAA's Registration of all things R/C that fly. This would be akin to keeping a logbook with the serial numbers of components used in a given model. Like counterfeit parts in Full Scale, manufactures of bogus parts could be prosecuted for providing any bogus/counterfeit parts used on an FAA/US registered craft.
Second If there are counterfeit equipment then these manufactures should be prosecuted for Endangering the public because they can fail and cause injury.
Now let me ask the question ... Who the HE[[ going to keep track of all the millions of R/C equipment out there and the millions more predicted to be sold this Xmas.
Sort of Ludicrous I'd say How about U?
Well my first thoughts would be first Kick them off of the rc AIRPLANE flying fields and second kick them out of the AMA and force them to start their own None for profit org and seperate us from them now before there stupid flying habbits screw up our hobby . How is that dog ? Would be fun watching them scamper off the field with all those props between their legs.lol joe

Last edited by joebahl; 11-09-2015 at 03:57 PM.
Old 11-09-2015, 04:42 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by joebahl
Well my first thoughts would be first Kick them off of the rc AIRPLANE flying fields and second kick them out of the AMA and force them to start their own None for profit org and seperate us from them now before there stupid flying habbits screw up our hobby . How is that dog ? Would be fun watching them scamper off the field with all those props between their legs.lol joe
Don't U are talking about when U use Pro Nouns PLZ use the Proper noun in place of Pro Nouns

Using Them Their & There doesn't tell me what U are talking about. The only clue to what U are speaking of is the spinning props thing. Don't forget after christmas, Quads just might out number all other R/C flying stuff. They may even outnumber all AMA members and then take over all the flying fields when the Feds say the only place Quads may be flown for education or Recreation (Not for Profit) is at registered R/C Flying sites Weather State or private or AMA. Many people never did still don't like Fomies 3D flyers IMAC Pattern or Helis. Guess what they all all here and we/U/anyone can do anything about it but quit.