Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Reload this Page >

Help needed with the alphabet soup associated with 2.4 gear

Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Help needed with the alphabet soup associated with 2.4 gear

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 08:33 AM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help needed with the alphabet soup associated with 2.4 gear

I am totally mystified by the letters attached as suffixes to radio gear. EG I am looking at a FlySky 6 ch TX which has the suffix AFHDS2A. What does that mean? Is it better or worse or just different to a DSMX. Does anyone have a link to site that explains all the suffixes.

Also how can I find out if the TX/RX combination has sufficient range for normal 40 powered trainer operations. I see full range used to describe the range for the RX but rarely the TX.

Mr google brings up some links but most seem to be rather ad hoc one off youtube foamie checks with little comparison work.

Browsing through posts here short range seems to be a common complaint. Has anyone done some range testing with different manufacturers.
Old 09-22-2015, 10:56 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is no established standard for those suffex letters you are looking for. You will have o ask the manufacturer what he means.
A tx is limited in its power out. The receiver sensitivity basically determines the range.
The cheapest Chinese radio would probably be OK for 40 size trainer.
Old 09-23-2015, 11:43 AM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK I will add some extra info. I am looking at the logistics involved in attending the Nats at Muncie next year. I would like to fly in some event and Slow Survivable Combat looks like it might suit as I have flown combat before. I would be purchasing a transmitter and two receivers just for the event and would only need the simplest of sets. 3 channels would in fact do but with 6 channel computer radios on sale for around $65 it seems silly not to buy one.

So I am looking at HobbyKing as a major supplier and their Orange gear as being cheap and cheerful but good enough to do the job and have some resale value.

[h=1]OrangeRx T-SIX 2.4GHz DSM2 Compatible 6CH Transmitter w/10 Model Memory and 3-Pos Switch (Mode 2) I think this has a switchable power output[/h][h=1]OrangeRx R620 DSM2 Compatible Full Range 6Ch 2.4Ghz Receiver w/Failsafe[/h]
So will this give me reasonable range, combat will be close quarters stuff, and good interference rejection?
Old 09-23-2015, 02:45 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spread spectrum transmission was developed because it has good interference rejection. What you propose should do what you want easily
If you buy from Hobbyking do it from a US warehouse.
Tactic is another one and you can get it from Tower..