Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

The Right Spectrum Radio To Grow With

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2015, 04:31 AM
andydallas
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Right Spectrum Radio To Grow With

I am new to RC airplanes, but have a few quad's and want to fly airplanes.

i am looking for my first radio, one thing I understand is that radio's don't crash, so I don't mind spending more money to get one that I can grow with. I hate in any hobby to buy something, then realize a month later you should have bought one with more features/room etc.

For right now the DX6 sounds great from what i've read,,,,but then i start thinking about 'room to grow'. Do I need a 7, 8 or 9 channel radio?

What is hard for me to understand is just how complex an airplane needs a 8 or 9 channel transmitter,,,if its a 1/4 scale plane with bomb doors etc,,,then I'll stick at 6, but if a fairly 'normal' plan can make use of 7, 8 or 9 channels, then it sounds like it would be worth the initial investment.

I'm a private pilot with about 200 hours, I love flying but don't have the time/money to stay proficient,,,,I think flying RC with the planes available today, might just be the perfect hobby.

I really appreciate any input, I have spent hours reading through the forum looking for input,,but realized it might be easier to just ask the question

andy
Old 12-05-2015, 06:21 AM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile

I've been using the DX9 for a number of yrs. Just a good all around size. It's not so much the number of channels. Moreso the extra programming functions over the 6, 7, and 8.
I'm more of a sport flier and it has more goodies than I'll ever use.
By the way, I have 42 models programmed into it. See what you're in for.

Last edited by Flypaper 2; 12-05-2015 at 06:29 AM.
Old 12-05-2015, 04:22 PM
Robert Willis

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I purchased a DX8 so that I would have room to expand in the future and have so far been satisfied with my choice. The way that I approached it was to think about the types of airplanes that I would be flying. You need at least four channels for the primary controls and 1 for retracts. Since I utilize multiple servos (2) for the flaps (2) and ailerons and I like using additional channels instead of a Y harness, this now puts me at seven channels. Since I also am planning on using the Spektrum AS3X receiver and I wanted to be able to remotely adjust the gain I am now at 8.

I have my DX9 paired with the AR9350 AS3X receiver and meets all of my current requirements with a channel to spare.

Good luck with the hobby !!!!
Old 12-05-2015, 04:51 PM
Rob2160

Originally Posted by andydallas
I am new to RC airplanes, but have a few quad's and want to fly airplanes.

i am looking for my first radio, one thing I understand is that radio's don't crash, so I don't mind spending more money to get one that I can grow with. I hate in any hobby to buy something, then realize a month later you should have bought one with more features/room etc.

For right now the DX6 sounds great from what i've read,,,,but then i start thinking about 'room to grow'. Do I need a 7, 8 or 9 channel radio?

What is hard for me to understand is just how complex an airplane needs a 8 or 9 channel transmitter,,,if its a 1/4 scale plane with bomb doors etc,,,then I'll stick at 6, but if a fairly 'normal' plan can make use of 7, 8 or 9 channels, then it sounds like it would be worth the initial investment.

I'm a private pilot with about 200 hours, I love flying but don't have the time/money to stay proficient,,,,I think flying RC with the planes available today, might just be the perfect hobby.

I really appreciate any input, I have spent hours reading through the forum looking for input,,but realized it might be easier to just ask the question

andy
Hi Andy,

Welcome to they Hobby, Even if you never need more than 6 channels there are good reasons to get a more advanced radio. Often 6 channel radios will come with basic programming that can be the limiting factor.

An example is my first Spektrum radio, a DX6i, It has limited mixes and does not do throttle curves for aeroplane models. This can be limiting if you start flying more advanced multicopters. The Blade 350QX only needs 6 channels but you can't access all modes easily with a DX6i due to limited programming.

On a more advanced radio like the DX8 this is possible.

The extra cost of a DX9 over the current DX6 gets you a LiPo battery and charger also.

Get something with voice alerts, I flew for 35 years without them but after using them on the Taranis I won't go back to a non voice radio.

Some radios I can recommend that you won't likely out grow.

FrSky Taranis - my current favourite and best bang for buck radio on the market in my opinion. The Taranis works with Spektrum by adding a TX Module (it plugs straight in)

Spektrum DX9 - should have all the features you would ever need.

Last edited by Rob2160; 12-05-2015 at 06:59 PM.
Old 12-06-2015, 07:34 PM
grasshoper

spend the money and get the DX9.It can be set up for anything you want to fly.If you want to try FPV you can control the camera gimbal.Channel asignment come in real handy to set switches where you want.
Old 12-17-2015, 07:57 PM
jblvns10

i have a dxe and i want to use it on my monster truck is that possible?
Old 12-17-2015, 11:28 PM
chuckk2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's possible if you have the proper RX, servos, motor speed control, etc.
The electronics in many of the ready to use model cars and trucks are not
very standard.
Old 12-17-2015, 11:35 PM
chuckk2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

One of the commonly used reasons to have more channels is the ability to assign a channel to each servo, rather than using "y" cables.
There also are mixing schemes that involve channels that don't actually connect to a servo.
Old 12-18-2015, 10:08 AM
jblvns10

i have a ar600 rx trying to use it in my emaxx
Old 12-18-2015, 10:55 PM
jblvns10

is that possible?
Old 12-20-2015, 08:41 PM
Aerocal

Originally Posted by jblvns10
i have a ar600 rx trying to use it in my emaxx
ESCs designed for use in surface vehicles generally are setup to use center of channel output as zero/Off with everything above half being forward and everything below being Brake and/or Reverse. The Thr stick on air radios generally arent setup to have spring centering. It is definitely possible to attach a spring to that stick so that it naturally returns to center/off.
Have you tried to get it working? If so and arent having success please try to better detail what problem you are having.
Old 12-20-2015, 08:46 PM
jblvns10

havent tried it yet just wanted an idea of what servo to put in what slot on the rx.
Old 12-21-2015, 11:18 PM
jblvns10

plus i want to add some extra stuff to it. other than lights what else is there that i can add to the other channels?
Old 12-23-2015, 10:23 PM
Aerocal

Originally Posted by jblvns10
havent tried it yet just wanted an idea of what servo to put in what slot on the rx.
Do you have a DXe from an RTF model like a heli? Or the open stock DXe?
Generally the left vertical axis stick is Thr(CH1).Left horizontal is Rud(Ch4).Right vertical Ele(CH3).Right horizontal Ail(Ch2).
Old 12-23-2015, 10:25 PM
jblvns10

sounds complicated.....so which should my stereo and throttle port go into?