Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba, Spektrum and Airtronics.

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 12:35 PM
airmaster39

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba, Spektrum and Airtronics.

Hi everyone, I have questions about the brand of radios and receivers out there today: Futaba, Spektrum and Airtronics.
I am posting this in a few different forms to get a good cross section of feedback from users. So you may see this on a couple of different group forums you belong to.
I currently have two older 72Mhz Futaba radios NFK six channel series, I think it is time to upgrade to a radio I can use to fly both smaller and larger planes. Flying electric, Nitro and gas planes.
"I keep hearing things about the Futaba, Spektrum transmitters and how advanced in electronics over the past few years. They both have lots of features to offer.
So after doing some research I hear Spektrum is good because it binds with everything. Though there is a lot of people who say they have had binding issues and or loss of signal with Spektrum, and you have to use satellites stuck to your plane for better signal. I hear Futaba as good as it is does not bind with everything, but you have less glitche issues.
The Radios and receivers cost a lot more then Spektrum and Airtronics. Is that because they have been around longer or is the quality that much better.
I want to hear those that actually uses those transmitters and hear and hear what you have to say. I want to hear strong argument why you feel one is better than the other. What made you pick that brand or made you believe it was a better brand. Just telling me that the transmitter sucks isn't an argument, tell me why you think it is junk. What are you basing that opinion on?
For me this is a hobby I love and enjoy, I won’t be spending a thousand dollars on a radio. I don’t have a disposable income to spend, well not yet anyway. I just want to get a good radio system I can use for all my planes, and not have to carry three radios to the field. The money I spend does not come easy, so when I do buy a radio I want as much knowledge as I can get, and what features I should consider. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Old 02-15-2016, 06:26 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

When you say Spektrum binds with everything not sure what you mean. It binds with Spektrum. Futaba binds with Futaba and Airtronics bind with Airtronics.

As for the rest, well, it's what you heard so it must be true. I personally have a lot more flights per year than any casual modeler with several different brand radios and they all pretty much work if they are setup right.
Old 02-15-2016, 07:59 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

I don't think you should limit your research to those three brands.
I have an ax to grind so you may want to skip my post. Its up to you.
Futaba and Airtronics,when they came on the market, simply copied the american brands and put them out of business by lower manufacturing costs. Now the Chinese are doing the same and I am all for it.However, they are now having their equipment made in China and charging you 6 prices for it.
Take a look at Taranis,sold through Aloft Hobbies in Ca. Great people to do business with. It will do everything the higher priced will do and has a module plug in so you can use all of your old receivers. Even 72MHZ ones.
It just boils down to do you want a capable radio or a status symbol.
Old 02-15-2016, 08:59 AM
stegl

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I switched from Futaba to Airtronics back in about 2008 when Airtronics introduced their first 2.4 radio system. Was very happy with but then upgraded to the Airtronics Sd-10g when it arrived in about 2009 due to the fact that at the time it was years ahead of everyone with programming and had what I wanted and needed. Plus I could used my 2.4 receivers already invested in , just had to rebind. Got into the habit of binding the receiver before installing into a new aircraft and never had to rebind again even after extensive program setup ; not like others that had to rebind after any programming.

Since then I have never lost an aircraft due to radio or radio range issues. Couple of minor repairs due to dumb thumbs though but never ever a radio issue. The only thing missing is telemetry and if that is a must requirement then it doesn't have it. The Sd10G and GS is the easiest if not one of the easiest to program or setup an aircraft with. No copied receivers as the Chinese haven't been able to "break their code" .
Usually those the poo poo the radio have never used one or seen what it can do and those that have moved on needed telemetry for advanced aircraft or for the "bling factor". I still use mine but have also bought a Jeti for the advanced telemetry I use for turbine operation.

whatever other brands of radio one decides to go with I would highly recommend to select one that uses the FHSS system over a two channel hopping system with 2.4 being so proliferated with other devices the ful spectrum hopping is most beneficial.
Old 02-16-2016, 08:34 AM
TFF

I till fly 72 but all my buddies have the new stuff. I grade Futaba with an edge in quality. I don't think anyone makes a better receiver on 2.4. Everyone I know have no radio problems on Futaba; that is probably why the receivers cost so much. The club favorite is Spectrum, I think because they were first on 2.4 and the bind in fly stuff.. A friend just got back in with a new DX7s getting rid of his JR11X if that makes any sense, but they seem to be less tolerant of installation mistakes. he has had two crashes because of this with different setups and one seems to be the receiver picking up the ESC noise; the other was glow and not sure on that one. The $100 receivers seem to be the best bet; his crashes have been with the cheaper ones. Airtronics is good but lacks advancement. Transmitters, I did not like the Futaba 8/14 channel in my hands. It just felt small. Not a fan of the DX7 holding either. I think that is why I still fly 72 more than anything is I want the feel of the more expensive transmitters but can't break down to buy them. If the old Futaba 12 was still around, that would be my pick. I don't need all the channels but they are nice when you need just one more. Programming for new Futabas and Spectrum are easy.
Old 02-16-2016, 10:14 AM
stegl

True, installation has a lot to with it and more so with some manufacturers. One of the reasons that Futaba and Airtronics and maybe a couple more are more successful are because the are on a FHSS hopping system rather than a 2 channel lock in. When Airtronics came out with their SD-10G ; it was the most advanced at the time but have not added any new programing since. that was back in earlier 2009. you are right that they are overdue for a new telemetry enabled radio of some sort. Their ground 2.4 radios have to and no one touches it. but we are air guys and needed something. I had to switch to Jeti for my turbines and are way ahead of anyone else. They don't have all the razzle dazzle like screen photos of the aircraft but guess that is for those that have trouble reading English. Jeti has their multi language setup and can be selected for most of the major languages world wide. receiver price wise with one on one are less than Futaba and can now be run in parallel for either redundancy or more channels.
We all have choices.... Thanks
Old 02-16-2016, 10:39 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

And for the record, DSMX is hopping

DSM2 works fine unless you get into a crowded RF environment, by crowded I mean IRCHA or Joe Nall

I have hundreds and hundreds of flights with Spektrum gear and plenty of folks use them in turbines.
Old 02-16-2016, 01:26 PM
stegl

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
And for the record, DSMX is hopping

DSM2 works fine unless you get into a crowded RF environment, by crowded I mean IRCHA or Joe Nall

I have hundreds and hundreds of flights with Spektrum gear and plenty of folks use them in turbines.
Agree that DSMX is better and it is hopping but not so sure there are Turbine flyers still using DSM2 as that is a thing of the past.

http://www.rcmodelreviews.com/dx8dsmxreview.shtml

Last edited by stegl; 02-16-2016 at 01:29 PM.
Old 02-16-2016, 02:04 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Originally Posted by stegl
Agree that DSMX is better and it is hopping but not so sure there are Turbine flyers still using DSM2 as that is a thing of the past.

http://www.rcmodelreviews.com/dx8dsmxreview.shtml
Did you notice the date on that review?
And if you do a bit of research, you might find that writer has a bit of reputation
Old 02-16-2016, 02:29 PM
airmaster39

TFF, I too want the feel of the more expensive transmitters, but I have to remind my self this is a hobby. Lots of good information from all of you Thank You.
Old 02-16-2016, 02:37 PM
stegl

Originally Posted by dirtybird
Did you notice the date on that review?
And if you do a bit of research, you might find that writer has a bit of reputation
Review was probably done shortly after DSMX came out , didn't bother to check. What sort of a reputation ? telling it as he see it ? He did give a thumbs up on DSMX over DSM2 .
Old 02-17-2016, 02:47 PM
TFF

Don't get me wrong, I am a bottom feeder. I would probably buy something that is nice but used to get the most value. I will say don't buy anything less than 7-8 channels; 8-9 better.