Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Reload this Page >

Radio Controller and FPV setup for custom vehicle made from Jazzy wheelchair platform

Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Radio Controller and FPV setup for custom vehicle made from Jazzy wheelchair platform

Old 03-16-2016, 06:54 PM
piedrasyluz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio Controller and FPV setup for custom vehicle made from Jazzy wheelchair platform

Hi there -

Complete n00b poster here, so forgive me for asking very obvious questions. I bought a Jazzy wheelchair powertrain ($50 at a thrift store in almost mint condition, no working batteries) in almost mint condition. It can carry a 300lb payload. I've seen a lot of people turn them into remote-controlled lawnmowers, arduibo-based projects, etc.

I'm working on an art project, and what I want to do is turn it into a vehicle that I can operate beyond line-of-sight, and be able to see and talk to (and hear) people interacting with the vehicle via some type of FPV set-up.

I found a video on Youtube detailing how to get the basic machine up and running:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeC8HbpCLyw

He used a fairly standard R/C Transmitter/Receiver (Futaba 4TL), and a Sabertooth motor controller. There are many, many others out there, some very complicated, others very simple. I really like the simplicity of the one in the video above.

To that set-up I would like to add a camera with audio and video (so that I can see and hear what the vehicle sees), as well as a loudspeaker so that I can "talk" to people.

I have looked into R/C Controllers on which you can mount FPV systems, but they are all very high-end systems intended for flying planes and drones. My basic problem is the sheer amount of systems and configurations out there, with not a lot of obvious compatibility hints, unless you've been doing this for a long time.

Are their more basic R/C Transmitters that are compatible with FPV systems that are simpler/cheaper?

I probably don't need a goggle-based system - a transmitter-mounted display would be fine, although a not too expensive goggle-based system would be fine.

Bonus, nice-to-have features:
Night vision: the ability to operate at night
Longish range: 1mile? I know there are extremely long range systems out there, but 1 or 2 miles is fine.

Do I cobble together a GoPro-based system?

I'm very excited about this project.

Budget Range (Transmitter/Receiver, Sabertooth motor controller, FPV system, loudspeaker): $600-$1000.

Any help at all is much appreciated!

Peter

Last edited by piedrasyluz; 03-16-2016 at 06:58 PM.