Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Getting back into the Hobby - 12ZAP

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 11:44 AM
zope_pope

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting back into the Hobby - 12ZAP

Hi Everyone,

After 8 or so years, I am getting back into the hobby. I bought a Futaba 12Z 72mhz radio about a year before I left the hobby, and had every intention of getting the 2.4 GHZ module for it. I see it is discontinued now, but I am sure I could pick one up used or maybe New Old Stock.

The question is...... I see there is FASST and FASSTest now. Is there a difference between the two other than telemetry? It is a feature I am not really too interested in right now. Would be good going with the module and just using FASST receivers?

I picked up a DX6 which is okay, and I've just been flying a foamie around lately, but would like to get back into 50cc+ gassers, and I really miss the feel and features of my 12Z. Any help is greatly appreciated. I am also considering purchasing the 18SZ. Thanks.

Adam
Old 05-23-2016, 12:17 PM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

You are correct on the difference between FASST and FASSTest. Both are 2.4ghz but FASSTest is the telemetry version used in several newer systems.

The 12Z uses a Futaba TM-14 module (discontinued) but they do pop up for sale on R/C web sites and Ebay. Keep the 12Z as it is a top of the line Futaba transmitter although a little dated. You might want to send it to Futaba service for a check out and firmware update. There may have been a few hardware improvements that can be applied too.

Good luck with this fine transmitter.
Old 05-23-2016, 01:04 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by zope_pope
Hi Everyone,

After 8 or so years, I am getting back into the hobby. I bought a Futaba 12Z 72mhz radio about a year before I left the hobby, and had every intention of getting the 2.4 GHZ module for it. I see it is discontinued now, but I am sure I could pick one up used or maybe New Old Stock.

The question is...... I see there is FASST and FASSTest now. Is there a difference between the two other than telemetry? It is a feature I am not really too interested in right now. Would be good going with the module and just using FASST receivers?

I picked up a DX6 which is okay, and I've just been flying a foamie around lately, but would like to get back into 50cc+ gassers, and I really miss the feel and features of my 12Z. Any help is greatly appreciated. I am also considering purchasing the 18SZ. Thanks.

Adam
Do yourself a hugh favor and check out the Tactic TX850. You will not get more for your money anywhere and, if 8 channels (with 30 model memory) will do you, it can not be beat. Right now you can get it at Tower Hobby for $179 and if you watch their adds, you can work your way down to $155 and include an 8 channel receiver. Also their receivers are very reasonably priced and ever bit as good as any other brand. I compare it very favorably to the equivalent Futaba but much less expensive with receivers being far far cheaper than the Futaba. Now, do not get me wrong, Futaba is an excellent system as is Airtronics and Hitec. I own one or more of each of those brands plus some Orange, Spectrums and FrSky. All work well and will do the job, you just get more bank for the buck with Tactic.
Old 05-24-2016, 07:09 AM
zope_pope

Thanks guys. I have always been a Futaba guy since my Hobbit SuperStar Select 16 years ago, that is till I got my DX6. Honestly I really don't like the radio all that much. If anyone has any ideas where I can grab the TM-14 module, that would be awesome. I've been looking, and no joy anywhere except RCplanet. And their reviews are kind of mixed.
Old 05-24-2016, 10:15 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Man if you can swing the price tag using coupons and such, go for the 18SZ.

I've used several different brands of tx's including Spektrum, JR, and Futaba. To me, how a tx feels in my hands, the gimbals and switch placement that is easy to identify and reach without looking, are very important.

I really like my JR 12X and still use it for my gassers and one turbine. When it became apparent that no replacement was in the pipeline for my 12X I bought a Spektrum DX-18. Good value with lots of reasonably priced rx's and I already had a bunch of rx's any way. I hated the way it felt; just too big for an old guy with short fingers and some arthritis, the switch placements were not good either. Back to Futaba with an 18MZ which fits my hands much better, great gimbals and unbelievable programming capability. It is still a bit bigger than I'd like so when the 18SZ came out with the smaller case I ordered one. It's a great radio, about 95% of the programming found in the 18MZ and about 1/3rd the price. The bonus is that it fits my hands better than any radio I've ever had and it's got the same gimbals as the 18MZ.
Old 05-24-2016, 10:19 AM
Dick T.

Thanks guys. I have always been a Futaba guy since my Hobbit SuperStar Select 16 years ago, that is till I got my DX6. Honestly I really don't like the radio all that much. If anyone has any ideas where I can grab the TM-14 module, that would be awesome. I've been looking, and no joy anywhere except RCplanet. And their reviews are kind of mixed.
Actually the RCPlanet price for the TM-14 and 6014 Rx is best I have ever seen. When new TM-14 modules pop up on the Bay they are usually that price for module alone. I paid $400 for my combo when I bought my 14MZ years ago when they came as 72mhz as your 12Z did. It is still operating perfectly.

In my opinion there are only a few radios today that can compare to the build and operational qualities of the high end Futaba's including the older 14MZ, 12Z, 12FG series. Many radios in the market today operate well but build and component quality are not conducive to long operational use. Update your 12Z and it still outshines any lesser radio system available today. I currently own my original 14MZ, a 12FG, 18MZ and all operate perfectly.

RCPlanet price today is $225.00, heck of a deal.

Last edited by Dick T.; 05-24-2016 at 11:32 AM. Reason: Additional information
Old 05-25-2016, 02:16 PM
zope_pope

Zeeb, your description almost made me pull the trigger on the 18SZ. Haha. It really looks like a great radio!

I decided to go with the TM-14 solution for my 12Z. I've ordered the module from RCPlanet, and hoping they do indeed have it in stock. I asked via email, so hopefully the guy was telling the truth as I've heard it can be sketchy from this website.

I look forward to getting some stick time on my old friend.

Another question now.... How about those cheap FASST compatible receivers? Anyone had luck with them? I'll be using genuine Futaba on the bigger airlanes.
Old 05-25-2016, 03:21 PM
Dick T.

Zeeb, your description almost made me pull the trigger on the 18SZ. Haha. It really looks like a great radio!

I decided to go with the TM-14 solution for my 12Z. I've ordered the module from RCPlanet, and hoping they do indeed have it in stock. I asked via email, so hopefully the guy was telling the truth as I've heard it can be sketchy from this website.

Another question now.... How about those cheap FASST compatible receivers? Anyone had luck with them? I'll be using genuine Futaba on the bigger airlanes.
Have used a few on park flyers and small sport planes with no issues, however I personally would not use them in higher level models.

\
Old 05-25-2016, 05:30 PM
Zeeb

No clones here, even my foamies have genuine Futaba rx's.
Old 06-02-2016, 01:17 PM
Rocketman612
My Feedback: (85)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Great Decision!!

I have the 12Z with the TM14 module and love the features , programming and feel of the 12Z. Several of my friends still drool over it at the field. It's only weak link is the battery. The Sony NP-550 is a drop in replacement of the Futaba battery. Even better are the Bower XPVS550 7.4V with 3200mah. I get them from Amazon inexpensive and they last a few years.

AVOID the generic Rx like the Orange, Yellow, etc. I have seen more crashes than I could shake a stick at with people using them. I only use brand Futaba Rx in my planes.

Pete
Old 06-10-2016, 11:03 AM
zope_pope

Thanks for all the good info. I'll definitely check out those Bower batteries. Believe it or not the battery from many years ago will run the radio for 3 hours still! It just doesn't hold a charge much in storage. 4 days after I have charged it it is down to 81% or so.

My module came with the 6014FS, and I've read too many issues about heat online. Anyone using these still or should I just sell it? I bought a small 8 channel (can't remember which) Futaba receiver for my foamy. Everything is performing flawlessly, and I had no issues binding it unlike my brief experience with Spektrum.

I am really happy with my decision to go back to Futaba and my trusty 12Z. It really is perfect for what I need to do. The gimbals are so smooth, and because of the size and stick placement, my skills are coming back much quicker. I don't know if its just me, but the controls also feel more responsive. Could be placebo though.

I'd go as far as recommend a used 12Z with module for someone looking to buy a radio right now.

Next up, build my Extreme Flight Yak-54 91".

Thanks everyone for help in the decision.
Old 06-13-2016, 04:46 AM
Rocketman612
My Feedback: (85)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have several 6014HS's and never had a problem with them. 2.4 Rx can get hot and Futaba recommends not wrapping them in foam like we did with the 72mhz Rx.

I mostly use Velcro to attach mine either by applying the adhesive type to the back of the Rx or a single wrap of Velcro around the Rx. On the gas planes I do put a small square of foam under the Rx but never wrap them so they stay cool.

Also be very careful about the antenna position and location. The last inch or so that you see the wire is the antenna. keep them at 90 degrees as best you can and keep them in clean space away from wiring, metal rods, etc.
Pete

Last edited by Rocketman612; 06-13-2016 at 11:15 AM.
Old 06-13-2016, 09:15 AM
Zeeb

Using a 6014FS rx is just asking for trouble. I'm not sure you could sell the thing even if you wanted. I'm also wondering how long that module you got has been sitting around as that rx hasn't been made for quite some time.

The 6014HS is a good rx.
Old 06-13-2016, 09:33 AM
Dick T.

I have used several 6014FS for years with absolutely no issues. Yes they can be temperature sensitive but have to be pretty hot before failing. At one time the specs were shown by Futaba Service but they still had to be pretty hot, I believe around 140 degrees. Most posted troubles came from mounting them exposed under canopies or letting a plane bake in the sun. Of course some could have been less tolerant but not the entire line.

Use common sense and all will be well.
Old 06-15-2016, 04:59 PM
Silent-AV8R

Originally Posted by Zeeb
Using a 6014FS rx is just asking for trouble. I'm not sure you could sell the thing even if you wanted. I'm also wondering how long that module you got has been sitting around as that rx hasn't been made for quite some time.

The 6014HS is a good rx.
Weird. I have two of them that I am still using to this day. Keep them out of direct sunlight and pipes/canisters and they are fine. Cook them to 140 degrees and some have issues.