Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Getting back into the hobby.

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 02:11 PM
slowpoke1984

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting back into the hobby.

Ive been browsing the web lately, I'm getting back into the hobby. Wanted to get another Futaba 7c FASST transmitter. But it appears you can't buy those anymore. All I'm seeing is Futaba FHSS transmitters. Ive been out the game for a while guys, fill me in. I can get a Futaba 10 J FHSS from tower rite now for $299 and with a add number just a little less actually. Whats up with all that?
Old 06-28-2016, 11:49 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by slowpoke1984
Ive been browsing the web lately, I'm getting back into the hobby. Wanted to get another Futaba 7c FASST transmitter. But it appears you can't buy those anymore. All I'm seeing is Futaba FHSS transmitters. Ive been out the game for a while guys, fill me in. I can get a Futaba 10 J FHSS from tower rite now for $299 and with a add number just a little less actually. Whats up with all that?
Do yourself a favor and at least check out the Tactic 850. IMHO, the best buy for your money right now and very reasonable price. Right now, at Tower Hobbies you can get one of about $150 if you watch their adds and use their coupons. These are excellent 8 channel, 30 model memory, inexpensive receivers and many other assets.
Old 06-28-2016, 12:00 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Well Futaba has about four different transmission protocols now. The one you refer to is the latest, has telemetry but not many rx options and you can't run the older FASST rx's, S-FHSS nor can you run FASST Multi or FASSTest. Only the T-FHSS protocol rx's.

Were it me, considering the advice I was once given about buying the best tx I could afford at the time, would be cheaper in the long run buying fewer radios. I'd go for the 14SG which has MANY more features, comes with a $125 rx where the 10J comes with a $60 rx. The 14SG is probably the best bang for the buck at $549 less any coupons you might find and interestingly enough, it will run all the rx's except the T-FHSS stuff.

Oh, Rodney is the resident Tactic fanboy and those units may be just the ticket for some folks. I would suggest that you do some research on those radios before you seriously consider leaving Futaba.

Last edited by Zeeb; 06-28-2016 at 12:03 PM.
Old 06-28-2016, 03:46 PM
slowpoke1984

Thanks for the info guys. I ended up buying the Futaba 10JA T-FHSS transmitter. I did look at the Tactics also, but I wasn't crazy about the programming, it looked kinda tricky, I'm sure I would have gotten the hang of it though.

When I placed my order with tower, I ordered a extra 6 channel Rx, I bought the R2006GS S-FHSS. I didn't realize it until after I placed the order what I had done.

So I emailed Futaba, and they sent me a compatibility chart of the different systems. You CAN use the R2006GS S-FHSS receiver with the 10J T-FHSS transmitter. I have the chart if anyone would like to view it. The tech told me that its a misconception that you can't, he said it will work just fine. I ended up buying that 6 channel Rx extra for a plane that I've had for several years. The new transmitter comes with the R3008SB Rx.
Old 06-29-2016, 07:51 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by slowpoke1984
So I emailed Futaba, and they sent me a compatibility chart of the different systems. You CAN use the R2006GS S-FHSS receiver with the 10J T-FHSS transmitter. I have the chart if anyone would like to view it. The tech told me that its a misconception that you can't, he said it will work just fine. I ended up buying that 6 channel Rx extra for a plane that I've had for several years. The new transmitter comes with the R3008SB Rx.
Sorry 'bout the misinformation, I was flying JR/Spektrum for a number of years and only came back to Futaba a couple of years ago using high end radios which basically do them all, so the different RF protocols are not something I have to worry about. Glad you got it sorted out.
Old 06-30-2016, 04:31 PM
slowpoke1984

I got the 10J in today. It's works great with the different Rx's. If you want to fly a different protocol Rx, go in the settings and select which one it is and link it. Just that easy.