Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Reload this Page >

How do I center old Kraft KPS 14 and KPS 15 servos?

Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

How do I center old Kraft KPS 14 and KPS 15 servos?

Old 07-10-2016, 02:34 PM
GSJames

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I center old Kraft KPS 14 and KPS 15 servos?

I am making a nostalgia pattern plane. A Kwik Fli Mk III with a Kraft Series 80 radio (checked and gold stickered by Radio South) and other "period correct" components. Some of the servos are not centered correctly and I need to center them. I know that you need to adjust the servo pot to do so, but it appears that an almost complete disassembly is needed to get to the pot. Can anyone provide a picture pointing out the location of the adjustment screw? Thanks in advance.

You don't really appreciate how easy we have it today until you start working with the older equipment...
Old 07-10-2016, 02:47 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (14)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

no "adjustment screw"

you can loosen the pot mounting screws and rotate the pot a little each way to get better centering.

sorry, no old servos left over around here to take a pic of.
Old 07-10-2016, 06:37 PM
TFF

No pic. You open it up and I think there are two screws on the edge of the pot. Loosen and move; then move it back the other way as you went the wrong way. Ha. I cut out a Kwik Fli 1 to do the same thing and I have not put it together. I have a flying Jenson Stick with a series 78 FM. I have some others FM Kraft too. Pics when done please.
Old 07-10-2016, 07:25 PM
Rob2160

Originally Posted by GSJames View Post
I am making a nostalgia pattern plane. A Kwik Fli Mk III with a Kraft Series 80 radio (checked and gold stickered by Radio South) and other "period correct" components. Some of the servos are not centered correctly and I need to center them. I know that you need to adjust the servo pot to do so, but it appears that an almost complete disassembly is needed to get to the pot. Can anyone provide a picture pointing out the location of the adjustment screw? Thanks in advance.

You don't really appreciate how easy we have it today until you start working with the older equipment...
I centered the Servos on my Kraft Series 80 a few years ago.

As others have said, you need to open the servo and adjust the pot manually. Its easy to do and the servos are all perfectly centred now.

I don't have a pic but can get one when home in a week if it helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMFvPE_yhmo
Old 07-11-2016, 06:59 PM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure about Kraft servos but back in those days some servos could be centered by removing the output horn screw and inserting a small blade screwdriver into the hole. Those particular ones had a slot in the pot shaft so it could be turned slightly. Take a peek into the output shaft to see if you can see the end of the pot, usually brass in color.

If not then you have to open the servo as previously described.
Old 07-11-2016, 07:05 PM
TFF

Kraft you have to open. If need it reversed, you have to swap two of the pot wires and the two motor wires. Get some kid with a DX6 to do that
Old 07-12-2016, 09:31 AM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Dick T. View Post
Not sure about Kraft servos but back in those days some servos could be centered by removing the output horn screw and inserting a small blade screwdriver into the hole. Those particular ones had a slot in the pot shaft so it could be turned slightly. Take a peek into the output shaft to see if you can see the end of the pot, usually brass in color.

If not then you have to open the servo as previously described.
Early Kraft servos were adjustable but the later II series were internal adjustment only. The early adjustable ones were prone to change center adjustment just by tightening the screw so the shaft was later knurled so it couldn't slip where it was inserted in the output gear.
Old 07-26-2016, 02:17 PM
Patrick F
My Feedback: (17)

Hi All, are the carbon wipers in the servo pot still available???
Old 07-26-2016, 08:29 PM
finewayne

Originally Posted by Patrick F View Post
you can buy it here:
http://www.indiamart.com/proddetail/...283634391.html
or on ebay

Old 07-27-2016, 11:24 AM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Patrick F View Post
Probably from old stock laying around, from Radio South, etc. I know I have a couple dozen in my old parts drawers.
Old 10-30-2017, 02:44 PM
woodburner

Originally Posted by TFF View Post
Kraft you have to open. If need it reversed, you have to swap two of the pot wires and the two motor wires. Get some kid with a DX6 to do that

Could you please tell me which of the pot wires to swap? There are three.... thanks!
Old 10-30-2017, 03:34 PM
grotto2
My Feedback: (2)

Swap # 1 and #3, the two farthest apart.

Oh, don't forget there's more to it than that. You also have to swap the motor wires.

Last edited by grotto2; 10-30-2017 at 03:43 PM.
Old 10-30-2017, 05:41 PM
woodburner

Originally Posted by grotto2 View Post
Swap # 1 and #3, the two farthest apart.

Oh, don't forget there's more to it than that. You also have to swap the motor wires.

Thanks!!