Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Which radio is the better for the $$

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 04:00 AM
Hulagan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which radio is the better for the $$

Hi all, this is my first post, I'm a 50 year old vet that wants to get back into RC aircraft. I haven't flown in 25 plus years. I'm trying to figure out which radio to buy. I Hesse are my choices. Futaba 8 or 10J, a Groupner 9 ch.,or the new Spektrum 8 Ch. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks. Mike.
Old 08-16-2016, 06:58 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You do not state your location, that may make a difference. If in the USA I would suggest that you check out the Tactic850 if 8 channels are enough for you (and it is for most of us). You will find it a much better buy than those you mentioned. Now all of them are good performers so you will probably be happy with any one of them. It is just that the Tactic offers so much more for your money and is very easy to program and has a great reliability record.
Old 08-17-2016, 07:30 AM
krokodyl

I am currently in the same situation. I was looking at the 10j and dx8 gen 2. Maybe the hitec flash 8 or even A9X.

One thing I like about the futaba is that one rx will give you 8 channels and rx voltage, and the rx is reasonably priced. With spektrum to get any kind of telemetry you would need to buy a nother little device I belive... reciever prices are something to watch, as they can be more important the the cost of the transmitter.

It can also come down to how it feels in your hands. If one feels weird to you, then it is probably not the best choice, although sometimes features will trump this.

One thing I cant figure out is if you can set the servo speed on on the 10j. This is a nice feature, which is present on the dx8 for sure.

If you like bnf, then spektrum have alot of them, although slt has some, and I belive that one of futabas protocols has them too.

Over all if you can go to a club, and see the radios and see what everyone else is using, then the choice may be easier.

I have not heard much of the graupner, and while the touchscreen may seem attractive, it is certianly not a feature that would make me go and buy it.

Hubert
Old 08-17-2016, 07:51 AM
J330
My Feedback: (3)

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

LOL, I'm in the same boat too, 7C 72 Mhz. I went ahead for the cheap, and got a Tactic TTX-650 6 channel SLT. Not a fan of Hobbyking. Not interested in a $200 Taranis but if spending more than $125 (Coupon price) is your thing, I'd get the Taranis 9. Does it all. Friend showed me his and that was his recommendation. I like $24 receivers though, and went Tactic 6. They got the 8 also.
Old 08-17-2016, 01:11 PM
Hulagan

Thanks for the feedback, I'm leaning to the Futaba, but still not sure.
Old 08-17-2016, 03:49 PM
Roo Man
My Feedback: (1)

Look at the Taranis series of transmitters. I have had one for several years and love it.
Old 08-17-2016, 05:14 PM
Hulagan

Taranis, o.k. I'll take a look, I've never herd of them but then I've been out of the hobby for over 15 years.
Old 08-18-2016, 01:29 AM
Roo Man
My Feedback: (1)

Aloft hobbies is best place to buy Taranis. Outstanding service.
Old 08-18-2016, 04:56 AM
hsukaria

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would agree with the others, either the Tactic 8-channel or the FrSky Taranis. I believe the Tactic would be easier to get started with the programming since the Taranis has a bigger learning curve because it has so much more programming capability. The receivers for both brands are quite reasonable in the $20 dollar range for 6-8 channels.

But I would also suggest that you go to the club you will be flying from and ask around what the members are using, especially the instructors.
Old 08-19-2016, 12:58 PM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by krokodyl
With spektrum to get any kind of telemetry you would need to buy a nother little device
Hubert, your information is a bit dated there.

The Spektrum ultra-micro DSMX receivers provide Flight Log telemetry since their introduction 6 or so years ago.

The AR636 has been out 4 years I think, and includes short range telemetry for Flight Log and rx battery voltage.

The AR7350 and AR9350 have been out a year, and provide full telemetry capability including for their internal gyros, Flight Log, and external sensors. With these you get AS3X stabilization, telemetry, and 7 or 9 channels in one package.

Just a few weeks ago we announced two more full-range telemetry receivers, the AR6600T and AR6720T.

Hope that clarifies it for everybody.

Andy
Old 08-19-2016, 02:12 PM
krokodyl

I stand corrected, thanks for clarifying that for everyone Andy.

Whatever you do, go somewhere and hold the radios. You don't want to spend your money, and then recieve a transmitter that will make hsing switches hard for you.

I onow the old dx8 was a bit too big for my hands. The futaba 8fg and 14sg both felt fine, so I hope the 10j is the same. I belive the dx8 g2 is slimmer, so I will hold that aswell before I choose.

As far as the taranis goes, it certianly is an attractive option, but I don't think I would buy it. It has a learning curve to it, and programming takes some time to get used to. That being said, after a while you will get used to it. You have to ask yourself, would you fly anything with it? I wouldn't, butsome people who used it for awhile would fly anything with it.
Old 08-20-2016, 08:45 AM
hsukaria

Originally Posted by krokodyl
I stand corrected, thanks for clarifying that for everyone Andy.

Whatever you do, go somewhere and hold the radios. You don't want to spend your money, and then recieve a transmitter that will make hsing switches hard for you.

I onow the old dx8 was a bit too big for my hands. The futaba 8fg and 14sg both felt fine, so I hope the 10j is the same. I belive the dx8 g2 is slimmer, so I will hold that aswell before I choose.

As far as the taranis goes, it certianly is an attractive option, but I don't think I would buy it. It has a learning curve to it, and programming takes some time to get used to. That being said, after a while you will get used to it. You have to ask yourself, would you fly anything with it? I wouldn't, butsome people who used it for awhile would fly anything with it.
The Taranis does have a bigger learning curve for programming. But it also has the most powerful programming ability once you learn how to do it. A beginner may not want that characteristic. But as far as reliability, Taranis and FrSky receivers have been flawless.
Old 08-20-2016, 11:04 AM
J330
My Feedback: (3)

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

It's great to see how radio technology has really come far more affordable. I never could justify a $400 price tag for an Aurora 9. I bought my Tactic 6 for $77 delivered, second hand, with receiver. Bought 2 more receivers from Tower and can fly 3 planes for about $120. I don't need any additional features or programming power, since I fly 4, 5, and 6 channel balsa airplanes. No heli, no quad, no telemetry. So it fits my needs as all radios have since the 1970s. It really depends on what you're going to do with a radio to determine how much programming you need, versus was you want.
Old 08-20-2016, 03:39 PM
JCOKEEFE
My Feedback: (2)

I cannot comment on the Tactic. However, I can comment on Hitec. I have owned/used the Aurora for approx ten years with absolutely no problems. It is a quality radio system.
Old 08-20-2016, 04:51 PM
Hulagan

Does Hitec have all the controll surface mixing
Old 08-20-2016, 07:40 PM
tmulligan

All my planes are 6 channel or less. I have about 50 planes. So, I have 6 channel Tactic, Futaba, and Spektrum transmitters. Here's my final analysis. If cost is your major factor, go with Tactic; it is the most cost effective from my perspective. However, if you think you'll have more than 20 planes, go with Spektrum; it has a 250 model memory. Futaba is too expensive for me. And, Taranis is too complicated for me.I'm sure other people will have other preferences.Tom
Old 08-21-2016, 03:25 AM
Hulagan

Thanks Tmulligan, ya most of the planes I've been eyeing are 6 or less also. I have one more question. If I let's say purchase a Futaba and want to buy a small bind and fly plane. From what I understand is that without a DSMX or DSMX2 transmitter I can't bind it to the Futaba, or anything other than a Spektrum radio. But then I saw a product called an Orange 2.4 GHz compatible tx. for Futaba module radios that send out a DMSX/2 signal. Are these any good? Do they actually work?
Old 08-21-2016, 05:19 AM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

The radio has to accept a module - most do not nowadays. The Orange modules are not licensed Spektrum technology, and as a result are better called "almost compatibles." Over in the RCGroups Radios forum there was a lot of discussion about them when the first came out, and most there are not recommending them any longer. Those who want true compatibility are using "hack" modules - genuine Spektrum RF modules put into special adapters so they can be used with other radios.

I know several Team Futaba guys, and they all have a Spektrum radio too just because the ultra micro BNFs are so much fun. If you can only afford 1 radio (like most of us) and want to fly those models, get a Spektrum.

Andy
Disclaimer: I work for Spektrum
Old 08-21-2016, 05:29 AM
Hulagan

Thanks Andy, I'm glad you chimed in. In that case Futaba is out. I originally wanted a Spektrum but I'm on social security disability so the cash is tight, but Tower offers easy pay to split the payments up into 3 payments, and unfortunately they do not sell Spektrum. Maybe I'll go with a Tactic and save up for a Spektrum. What do you think? Andy does Spektrum offer any deals like that?
Old 08-21-2016, 05:43 AM
tmulligan

When I started in RC, I made the mistake of thinking that my transmitter would work with any transmitter-ready plane or bind and fly plane. I was wrong. Each brand of transmitter typically only works with matching receivers. For example, Tactic transmitters will bind to Tactic receivers. Spektrum transmitters will bind with Spektrum receivers. Futaba transmitters will bind with Futaba receivers. Of course, it is not quite that simple as Andy (who is exceedingly helpful by the way) has articulated above. When starting out, however, you are safest to focus on a single brand of transmitter and receiver until you learn more of the details. In short, if you think you will never have more than 20 planes, Tactic is more cost-effective. If you think you may have more than 20 planes some day and you like the idea of voice alerts (which I find VERY helpful), Spektrum is the best option. I do not work for any RC company and am not sponsored by any RC company. I'm just a back yard pilot who loves to fly.Tom
Old 08-21-2016, 06:16 AM
Hulagan

Thanks Tom, ya I don't think I'll ever have more than 5or 6 planes. I just want a min. of 8 ch., is easy to to program, and something I can use for a long time with different planes. The reason for the 8 ch. is some a/c like the Phoenix P-40 Warhawk requires an 8ch. I know I'm not ready for something of that caliber, but it's something I'd like to eventually get, and I don't want to buy another radio just for that plane. Do you in your opinion, and experience think that a Tactic 8-ch. would be the radio of choice? Thanks. Mike H.
Old 08-21-2016, 06:42 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the following, Spectrum DX6i, Futaba 7C, Futaba 6EX, Orange, Spectum DX5e, Hitec with DSM2 module, Futaba with FrSky module, Tactic 650 and Tactic 850. While all work and quite well, I find the Tactic 850 to be far the best for the money. Easier to program, very versatile in switch selection, wireless buddy box and tactile feel. The 650 is almost as good as the 850 but I think the 850 is well worth the extra $30 . In my mind the TX850 is the best of the lot and easiest to use.
Old 08-21-2016, 06:49 AM
Hulagan

Thanks Rodney, with all those and you still recomend the Tactic means a lot. My mind is made up, I'm going with the Tactic 8-ch, what ever the actual nomenclature is. I reall want to thank all of you guys for helping me out with all your knowledge and expertise, you really make a new guy feel at home here. Mike H.
Old 08-21-2016, 07:28 AM
tmulligan

I concur with Rodney.
Old 08-21-2016, 07:55 AM
BelAirBob

As was said above, if you think you will want one one the micro planes or an E-Flite ARF, get a Spektrum. They are a blast to fly, relatively inexpensive and the batteries are $5-10. My favorites are the UMX Pitts and PT17. I got the new 1.2m T-28 Trojan and everything with the retracts and flaps work perfectly. You can get any of these planes in the air, literally in minutes. I use for my nitro planes too, such as UltraSport, Four-Star, etc

i have had Spektruns for years with zero problems

good luck

bob

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.