Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Reload this Page >

One transmitter for everything (i.e. air and land)?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

One transmitter for everything (i.e. air and land)?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2016, 06:41 PM
mas3ydds

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default One transmitter for everything (i.e. air and land)?

Back in the day, it was FM for air, AM for land. I'm just wondering if now that we have these 2.4gHz spread spectrum transmitters, is there any need to have separate transmitters for air and land rc vehicles?

I prefer the good old stick style transmitters for rc cars anyway. So perhaps I can purchase a 2.4gHz heli transmitter and use it for my helis, airplanes, drones, as well as my rc cars and boats?
Old 11-07-2016, 07:12 PM
pilotpete2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, with 2.4 there is no air/surface restrictions as in the past.
FWIW it was the frequency bands that were different for air and surface, not whether they were AM or FM. In N. America 72Mhz was for air and 75Mhz was for surface use, or if you were a gambler, you could also use 27Mhz Citizen band for either air or surface.
I don't miss those days at all
Pete
Old 11-07-2016, 08:14 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

The radios can do it, but I wouldn't be happy with using an air type transmitter on a surface vehicle. It's much more intuitive to have the trigger and wheel than the sticks for driving, IMO.
Old 11-08-2016, 05:43 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by jester_s1
The radios can do it, but I wouldn't be happy with using an air type transmitter on a surface vehicle. It's much more intuitive to have the trigger and wheel than the sticks for driving, IMO.
Unless you are sailing.

And mulitple channels like tankers.