Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Kraft RF meter function with 2.4 conversion.

Old 01-12-2017, 03:07 PM
skyhawkjock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kraft RF meter function with 2.4 conversion.

I am getting ready to convert my Kraft KPT-7CS transmitter to 2.4 GHz, but was wondering if anything can be done to keep the RF meter functional? I don't want to just disconnect it.
Thanks for any suggestions and/or instructions as to how to keep it functional in some way.

J.Haffner
Old 01-12-2017, 07:01 PM
grotto2
My Feedback: (2)

Maybe put a 10K trim pot in series with it between ground and +9.6V.
It should set around 7.5K.
Just happened to have measured that last night in a gold metal. The meter itself read 2.5K or thereabouts. Check your meter to see if it reads the same in the 7C.

Last edited by grotto2; 01-12-2017 at 07:05 PM.
Old 01-21-2017, 04:54 PM
EloyM
My Feedback: (194)

I don't have schematics for every Kraft transmitter made, but the ones I do have all show the meter actually reading RF, as opposed to others that read the battery voltage. The 2.4 GHz module might not even include the connections to the RF meter circuit, but even if it did, I seriously doubt if the meter circuit would work at the much higher frequency.
Your best option is to convert it to read battery voltage. I do suggest that once you find the pot value that gives you the meter reading, replace the pot with a fixed resistor, smaller and easier to install physically. There is a serious down side to that, as the meter will read 0 to around 10 volts, and minor voltage changes, even one cell out, will make very little difference, almost unnoticeable, in the meter reading.
A better option would be to hook the meter up as an expanded scale meter, to read say from 8 to 10 volts, which would show a greater deviation in case of a cell dropping out. . This requires a different circuit, not really complicated, just different, and if you decide to go that way, let me know, I will dig up a circuit for you. [email protected] ( Kraft competitor: Orbit Electronics!)