Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Newbie again

Old 06-17-2017, 05:36 AM
gvetter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie again

I last flew in 2003. I just dug up all my old stuff to return to the air.

Question is, I have a Futaba 9CAP setup (72mhz) but I see that 2.4ghz is what's up right now.
Can I still use my stuff? Should I?

Somebody tell me what I need to know please.
Old 06-17-2017, 07:38 AM
pilotpete2

You sure can use your 9C on 72Mhz, at least at fields that still allow it, some do not due to new fields that are too close for safe operation on 72Mhz, also, major events are pretty much 2.4Ghz only, sine no one wants to run transmitter impounds at large events.
Your 9C can also be used for 2.4Ghz operation with a conversion module, such as this one.
FrSky DFT -Futaba Transmitter Telemetry Module
The FrSky receivers that work with that module are also very reasonably priced.
Futaba used to make conversion modules, but apparently they dropped them, and Spektrum used to make a module for Futaba radios, but they too seemed to have dropped them.
There are Spektrum compatible modules from Hobby King, that bind to Spektrum receivers, so that's an option as well.
Good luck and welcome back!!
Pete
Old 06-17-2017, 07:48 AM
yorkiepap
My Feedback: (18)

There is nothing wrong with flying on the 72Mhz band. Some clubs have eliminated the 72 band, although most still allow its use as long as the club rules regarding posting your Ch Freq. are adhered to. I still fly several gliders & trainers on 72Mhz as I find they have a somewhat better range as my older JR Tx's have a 750mw output, whereas the new radios on 2.4Ghz are only 200mw in the USA & 100mw overseas. Many of the radios imported to the US from China are only 100mw thus reducing your transmitting power by half which is another factor with pricing. Your radio should be fine & you can always look for a TM-8 2.4Ghz Spektrum module for your Futaba that would allow you to use your radio with all the models that are Spektrum BNF, usually from Horizon Hobby. Be sure to do a range test prior to flight to insure a solid RF link. On 72, you collapse the antenna totally & check your control movements about 50-60 paces from the model. Lastly, most of the older radios were much better quality/component wise & still work like new. I still use my 20+yo JR10X's & a 30yo JR Galaxy Computer8 Tx as they were built like brick s-hse's.

Denny
Old 06-17-2017, 08:05 AM
gvetter

Good news.. So, I'll use what I have but also, in the future, I'll get a 2.4ghz module for new planes I build. Planning a Piper and a Lazy Ace.