Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

spektrum dx 20 question

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 04:27 PM
rj lemay
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spektrum dx 20 question

Hi Everyone,
First, I hope this isn't a stupid question. I recently purchased a DX20, and I'm very happy with it. I've put my BVM F16, and Bobcat on it so far. The receivers I've chosen are the Spektrum AR20310t power safe receivers.
These are the new Spektrum receivers, since their recall. The F16 uses 12 of the 20 channels, which are displayed on any of the transmitter's screens as 12 channels. My question is, how do I access the rest of the 20 channels, as the Bobcat will be using 14 channels? Both receivers show only 12 channels on the transmitter's displays, but there's 20 ports on each receiver, and it's a 20 channel transmitter??
Thanks, Bob
Old 08-22-2017, 09:04 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

In a lot of respects, it's like the channel expander used with the DX18's only it's built into the rx rather than a separate unit. In other words, you 'gotta tell the tx to use 'em....

System Setup menu. Go to the Frame Rate line. Scroll down to the XPLUS line and change it from "Inh" to "Act". You can also set the frame rate in that screen, suggest you leave it at 22ms to prevent issues with some servos and only certain channels will run at 11ms anyway.

Don't know if it's necessary, but I like to power cycle the tx and then go to model setup. DO NOT try to do control surface matching on your own. Select the correct wing, elevator and rudder servo setup and save it. Then the channels which are used for the various servos will show up on the servo monitor. If you try to do that on your own, only the first 12 channels will be the higher resolution and show up on the servo monitor. If you do the setup screen, all the servos/channels assigned will run at the same resolution and speed.

Hope that helps.

OH, if you haven't registered your rx's you should do so. There is a firmware update for those rx's which is supposed to be released sometime in the near future which will really increase the programmability of the rx according to Andy Kunz who is a Spektrum programmer guy and spends most of his forum time over on RCGroups answering radio questions.

Last edited by Zeeb; 08-22-2017 at 09:07 AM.
Old 08-22-2017, 11:24 AM
rj lemay

Thanks Zeeb!
that helps a lot!
Bob
Old 08-22-2017, 11:54 AM
rj lemay

That's easy! I wish the manual was a little clearer on how to do it.
Old 08-23-2017, 08:42 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by rj lemay
That's easy! I wish the manual was a little clearer on how to do it.
You know how manuals are.....
Old 08-23-2017, 02:34 PM
rj lemay

yeahhhh! I think there ought to be a title in the table of contents which reads something easy like, "how to utilize all 20 channels". Then there would be no question... I'd never would have thought to look at "frame rate"....anyway, thanks again,
Bob
Old 08-24-2017, 05:21 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 346 Likes on 277 Posts

Experience is what you get right after you need it.
Old 01-14-2019, 03:01 PM
robertocasti10
My Feedback: (2)

Default Question

Hello I have a dx20 receiver but I am only getting use of 15 don’t know why from x+5 down I am able to use next channels can anybody help me I have activated the x-plus on radio and should get all 20 channels
Old 01-14-2019, 03:02 PM
robertocasti10

Sorry from x+5 down I am not able to make any servos work
Old 01-15-2019, 05:34 AM
BarracudaHockey

Did you bind the receiver after you enabled X-Plus?

Can you attach your SPM file
Old 01-15-2019, 05:40 AM
robertocasti10

Yes I did, found out on 20 channel receiver and using dx18 you have x+1-x+3, x+2x+4 are same, if using dx18 you have to use next channels on receiver, I think it is a mess and spektrum should tell you in manual how to use and program
Old 01-16-2019, 08:04 AM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Did you update to 2.01? There was a bug that killed some of X-Plus in earlier version.

Andy
Old 01-17-2019, 12:54 AM
king bily

use manuals
Old 01-17-2019, 04:47 AM
BarracudaHockey

Originally Posted by king bily
use manuals
If you don't like the question, please move on and answer one that you find more to your liking. But please don't come into support forums and tell people to read the manual.

Thanks
Old 02-07-2019, 11:26 AM
king bily

Originally Posted by rj lemay
Hi Everyone,
First, I hope this isn't a stupid question. I recently purchased a DX20, and I'm very happy with it. I've put my BVM F16, and Bobcat on it so far. The receivers I've chosen are the Spektrum AR20310t power safe receivers.
These are the new Spektrum receivers, since their recall. The F16 uses 12 of the 20 channels, which are displayed on any of the transmitter's screens as 12 channels. My question is, how do I access the rest of the 20 channels, as the Bobcat will be using 14 channels? Both receivers show only 12 channels on the transmitter's displays, but there's 20 ports on each receiver, and it's a 20 channel transmitter??
Thanks, Bob
Okay you fellow DX20 owners; check your email for a Product Bulletin from Horizon about a wire chaffing issue with the DX20's again. For any of you who didn't figure out what the first bulletin was about, it was wire chaffing. So even if your's went back the first time, if it's PID number does not end in "CMR" it needs to go back again.
Pnr Status TextNow VPN
"Product Bulletin

PRODUCT BULLETIN: The Spektrum™ DX20 transmitter may include a wire routing path that can cause excessive wear on internal connections.

For transmitters with PID numbers beginning with AO6, AO701, AO702, or AO703, please fill out the Repair Request Form as directed in the bulletin.

NOTICE: Horizon Hobby, LLC has previously made efforts to quarantine and repair transmitters with wire routing problems. We are now able to better identify the transmitters affected by this issue. Even if Horizon Hobby had previously serviced your transmitter, please review your PID number to see if your transmitter requires service. Transmitters with a PID number ending in CMR are exempt from the bulletin.

After completing and submitting the Repair Request Form, Horizon Hobby will e-mail a shipping label for you to use to return the transmitter. Transmitters sent to Horizon Hobby for this service bulletin will receive priority in the service center. You will not incur any repair fees or charges, if a repair is necessary.

Before sending your transmitter to Horizon Hobby for service:
1. Export all programmed models to an SD card
2. Remove the following items from the transmitter:
• SD Card
• Transmitter Battery
• Neck Strap
• Any aftermarket accessories (Cell phone mounts, aftermarket gimbal sticks, etc)
3. Carefully wrap the transmitter in bubble wrap and pack the transmitter into a strong cardboard box, ensuring the transmitter will not move around in transit.
4. Attach a shipping label and return address to the outside of the box.

Last edited by king bily; 02-08-2019 at 03:31 AM. Reason: i made mistake
Old 02-07-2019, 11:53 AM
AndyKunz

Originally Posted by king bily
Okay you fellow DX20 owners; check your email for a Product Bulletin from Horizon about a wire chaffing issue with the DX20's again. For any of you who didn't figure out what the first bulletin was about, it was wire chaffing. So even if your's went back the first time, if it's PID number does not end in "CMR" it needs to go back again.
You missed the most important thing. THE DATE! You are referring to the same bulletin that came out May 12, 2018. The e-mail is for those who didn't send it in last year as requested.

This is not an "again" thing - this is still the one and only bulletin on the DX20.

Andy
Old 02-22-2019, 01:05 AM
David Jackson
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can channels 13-20 be used for all control surfaces, or is it suggested that those channels be used only for retracts, functional canopy, bomb drops, etc.? Just a bit confused, but would like better understanding before deciding to move up from the DX-18 to the DX-20.
Old 02-22-2019, 05:39 AM
AndyKunz

The DX18 and DX20 share the same constraints in that regard. X-Plus channels are sent at lower resolution (512 instead of 2048 steps) which is OK to fly - that was what the first PCM systems used. The problem is that they are variable latency, from 22-88ms instead of a solid 22ms.

That variable latency is why we recommend they be used only for auxiliary functions.

With a DX20 you do get two additional 22ms channels. Channels 11 & 12 are now independent 22ms channels. In the DX18 they were 22ms, but used the data from X+1/2 (at 2048 resolution, though).

What are you looking to add that you ask? Maybe I can make a suggestion.

Andy