Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Reload this Page >

If you could design your own transmitter--what would you add?

Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

If you could design your own transmitter--what would you add?

Old 04-26-2002, 11:13 AM
AJF--2
My Feedback: (119)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If you could design your own transmitter--what would you add?

I was reading an article in a recent mag that mentioned what the editor wanted to see in the way of Transmitter changes. Most of these are directed towards the computer radios. I am not talking about the $150 range-I know there are those who like a simple radio at a good price, but I would like to hear your thoughts too. He brought up some very good ideas I had never thought of. I will start--PS-I got a few of them from him--just so you know I can't take full credit

1-Better battery packs in transmitters and receivers-It is not unusual to spend $500 on a radio and get a 500 or 600ma pack for the Trans and rx. I think most of the people who buy high end radios need more battery power--and better chargers!

2-I like the idea of a clean face on the trans with a minimum of knobs and always put in the wrong place. Example-how about a slide bar on the side or maybe the back for flaps. The JR 10 X has something like this but it is the only one I know of. I am sure heli people have their own ideas about this.

3-Continuing on the "clean face idea" how about a removable key pad for programing--thats right--a computer style keypad to program the radio, then when you finish, just unplug it and put it in its special place in the "supplied radio case that comes with every radio"

4-Every computer radio should be able to display the models name and not numbers. Even if it is just 4 or 5 charcters long it is still easier to see a name than remember a number

Enough for me--What do you want to tell Mike and Ann Marie? I know they hang around here. Maybe others do too.
Old 04-26-2002, 11:31 AM
Forgues Research
My Feedback: (7)

Its funny, your basically describing the Multiplex MC 4000

Roger
ACM Rep....

Team ACM
Fiber Optic Servo Extensions
Forgues Propellers
Multiplex Dealer
http://www.aerografixs.com
Model-Scan Frequency Analyzer
Old 04-26-2002, 12:21 PM
cassidy
My Feedback: (5)

Default TX Design

Maybe I am just an old Fart but I think the nicest and most comfortable of the non-computer radios was the Futaba 5FAUP series and the FGK series.

I have computer radios and like them but I enjoy some of the older designs. And I certainly don't need all of that fake metal/chrome some of these new TX's look stupid!
Old 04-26-2002, 12:25 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned

I'd add a cigarette lighter.
Old 04-26-2002, 01:09 PM
AJF--2

Its funny, your basically describing the Multiplex MC 4000
--Not funny at all--I fly the Multiplex Cockpit MM--closest thing I could find to what I want--just hate that model number instead of name!
Old 04-26-2002, 01:38 PM
lnorris
My Feedback: (1)

Default PC Link

Ok, maybe it's just the geek in me but I'd MUCH rather do the programming on a computer and then transfer it to the transmitter.

Heck, just make it possible via a port and publish the specs and I know I'd write a application to do it and release it GPL.
Old 04-26-2002, 02:59 PM
Unstable

full control of all channels... ie if I want the trottle to use channel 1 or have chanel 2 and 3 mixing to the ailerons, etc

it would make it harder for the "normal" flyer to configure and a whole lot easier to fsck up but you would truely be able to do anything.

I was thinking of the challenge of how to build a tandem heli. you would need the cyclic to move both swashes up ... the pitch to move one up one down... the roll to move both to the side... the yaw to move them opposite directions...

ie. a whole lot of mixing.

there is a tandem out there that has mechanical mixing but I hear its a pain to fly. with full computer mixing (and a few gyros in the right spots) you could smooth it out nicely.

im sure you could pull this off some of the newer models with some creative mixing but what if you made the above a CCPM machine

oh... and I want it for about 50 bucks
Old 04-26-2002, 03:29 PM
3-d expert

A backlit screeen.
Old 04-26-2002, 04:37 PM
Rex
My Feedback: (18)

The "clean face" idea with a minimum of buttons, knobs, fake chrome, and other hard to clean features was a characteristic of the old Airtronics Infinity series. Too bad they're discontinued

Old 04-26-2002, 07:48 PM
can773

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A cupholder
Old 04-26-2002, 08:00 PM
3-d expert

I'd also like my to moan , when I move the sticks and flip the switchs
Old 04-26-2002, 08:50 PM
FunXtra

I think you dhould try a robbe futaba, such as the fc-16, you can expand , modify, set up, and program it as ya want,put knobs and switches almost everywhere. The only bad thing actually is that it is BIG and high priced, but I could get one, anyway.
You even can control the stick tension, but when I set up my throttle stick I never could get the "clicks" on it which will give you extra precision in your left thumb.
Old 04-27-2002, 07:13 AM
HarryC

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: If you could design your own transmitter--what would you add?

Originally posted by AJF--2

1-Better battery packs in transmitters and receivers

2-I like the idea of a clean face on the trans with a minimum of knobs and always put in the wrong place.

3-Continuing on the "clean face idea" how about a removable key pad for programing--thats right--a computer style keypad to program the radio, then when you finish, just unplug it and put it in its special place in the "supplied radio case that comes with every radio"

4-Every computer radio should be able to display the models name and not numbers.
1. Multiplex - the 3010, 3030 and 4000 come with sub-C cells of 1300mah or above. Have yet to see what the Royal Evo comes with.

2. Multiplex - is a standard part of their design.

3. Almost Multiplex: the Cockpit, Royal Evo and 4000 can be altered on PC and downloaded, the 3030 can back-up to PC but not have settings made on PC.

4. Err, would you believe Multiplex again though of course many others also do this.

These fantasy transmitters that so many of you dream of have actually been on sale for years?!

To quote the American magazine RCM, Nov 2001 issue "if you want to see the future of radio control, just look at what Multiplex is doing today"

Harry
Old 04-27-2002, 07:20 AM
HarryC

Default Re: PC Link

Originally posted by lnorris
Ok, maybe it's just the geek in me but I'd MUCH rather do the programming on a computer and then transfer it to the transmitter.

Heck, just make it possible via a port and publish the specs and I know I'd write a application to do it and release it GPL.
Multiplex, it comes as standard on most of their radios! You can even print out a complete list of the settings for a model memory which in most cases is pointless but for very complex set-ups with stacks of mixing etc is is much easier to review and double check that all the switches and numbers etc are in the right place.

The Royal Evo has internet download of its software upgrades.

The pin connections for the 7pin DIN plug used by Mpx are public domain, hence from the web you can download 3rd party PC software for connecting and backing up your Mpx to your PC, designs for building your own rev counter to attach to the Tx instead of buying the Mpx one, and so on. If you know what you are doing in electronic or software design you have tremendous access to the Mpxs computer.

Harry
Old 04-27-2002, 07:24 AM
HarryC

Originally posted by Unstable
full control of all channels... ie if I want the trottle to use channel 1 or have chanel 2 and 3 mixing to the ailerons, etc

ie. a whole lot of mixing.

Here we go again - MULTIPLEX!!!!! The 3000 series and above have channel assigning which means you tell the Tx which control is to come out of which socket on the Rx. This setting is unique to each model memory rather than a global setting, so you can have one model memory sequenced for Futaba, one for JR and so on. One control can be sent to as many Rx sockets as you wish, so for instance if you have 2 or 4 aileron servos there is no need to invoke flaperon mixing, or enable flaperon wing etc, just tell the Tx that sockets 2,3,4,5 or whatever at the Rx are aileron. It makes having 2 elevator servos very easy to program in.

An Mpx mixer has multiple control inputs to the mixer and up to all 9 or 12 servos connected to the output of the mixer, the 4000 even allows mixer outputs to be cascaded as input to another mixer. i.e. a whole shed load of mixing.

Harry
Old 04-27-2002, 07:26 AM
HarryC

Originally posted by can773
A cupholder
Drat, Multiplex don't do this. Failed!

Harry
Old 04-27-2002, 07:39 AM
HarryC

Default Re: Re: PC Link

Old 04-27-2002, 03:45 PM
Cactus.

Did anyone see that spaceage snazzy thing at one of those big german shows, think it was Ripmax showing it off, very nice looking, if you like Macs and Playstations it had gimbles insted of normal sticks for smooth feel to movements, now that looked good
Who was it that had a cord that links the plane to tranny and you can set up without turning on and shooting someone down? also remember something ( maybe mulitplex again ) that checked your fequency before it turned on VERY! HANDY!

Umm what else... plug tranny into planes charging jack for batt check... so easy to do
A tranny and RX that can work on any frequency ( AND DISPLAYS WHICH ITS GOING TO USE! ) so you dont have peg hogging problems
Telemetry from the plane to tranny would be fantastic, current batt state, signal strenght, air speed, height, GPS, engine temp & RPM, fuel left, maybe even video back to the screen.
And of course if you've got that, it can check for radio interferance as well and maybe warn you before you get "the hit" even during the flight.
Old 04-27-2002, 04:19 PM
Forgues Research
My Feedback: (7)

Hi phillybaby

I see that you are in Cornwall UK, I'm in Cornwall, Ontario Canada. Lovely city....
Old 04-27-2002, 04:31 PM
Cactus.

And i got friends in Sarnia, right over the other side of Ontario
send a E-mail to the owner of rcflyers, i bet he'd like to have something in his guest book from another cornwall
Old 04-27-2002, 05:22 PM
brc007

Originally posted by phillybaby
Who was it that had a cord that links the plane to tranny and you can set up without turning on and shooting someone down?
I think JR, Futaba and Multiplex can all do that. Futaba's name for it is Direct Servo Connect.

also remember something (maybe mulitplex again) that checked your fequency before it turned on VERY! HANDY!
Yes you are correct Multiplex can do that they call it Channel Check.

plug tranny into planes charging jack for batt check
I know that a Futaba 9Z can do that...I am not sure about multiplex...they can probably do it though
Old 04-27-2002, 05:29 PM
Cactus.

umm you can use a buddybox system without the crystal... now, if some clever joe could come up with sommit you can plug into your buddybox output, and into each of your servos to set it up, we could be most of the way to a handy little box of tricks to fit anyones tranny with buddy plug.
Old 04-27-2002, 06:35 PM
HarryC

And i got friends in Sarnia, right over the other side of Ontario
send a E-mail to the owner of rcflyers, i bet he'd like to have something in his guest book from another cornwall
Good heavens, I have been to Sarnia too, got relatives with a farm on the side of Lake Ontario at Forest, just up the road from Sarnia!

Harry
Old 04-27-2002, 06:38 PM
Cactus.

ahh well im talking about a small place called Oil Springs.

I KNOW!!!! CUP HOLDERS!!!!
Old 04-28-2002, 12:25 AM
Ed_Moorman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Transmitter design

Everyone has given several great ideas. I would like to add a couple more which might not work for all people.

Our transmitters look great because they are so smooth and symmetrical, but I think this is for sales and not human factors.

1. If you fly with your right hand, I think all the controls should be on the left side so you don't have to release the primary stick to move the control. Make the transmitter "lop-sided," for lack of a better word, so all the switches can be on the left side.

2. The controls, switches, knobs, etc. should be different shape so the difference can be felt. We already have long and short switches, but how about switches with square, round, triangle shapes on top of the switch.

3. Snap and roll switches/bottopns should be selectable for exclusive or non-exclusive. Most snap switches are now exclusive. I remember older JR transmitters had non-exclusive roll buttons that were much more flexible in their use.

4. Of course it goes without saying that the instruction manual should be written by a person in the local country for whom the language is native. I also feel an instructional video or computer based training should be included.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.