Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Need advice.

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2018, 03:09 PM
welderskelter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice.

Ok. To start with I know nothing or almost about rc vehicles.My neighbor and I were working on a project to build a bug like creature to use at parades to throw out candy. My neighbor passed on and now I got to do it alone. I am a welder and fitter but I have a lot to learn to get this thing off the ground. I have the wheels and motors and the joystick all hooked up but I dont know how or what to look for second hand to get this thing going. Can I just take an rc car or truck apart and hook the servos up to run the wigglestick or is there a better way to do this? Thanks to anyone who want to spend the time explaining this to me. Harold
Old 05-27-2018, 08:38 AM
grotto2
My Feedback: (2)

Harold-
You're certainly in over your head.
And you're asking the near impossible from us, to enlighten you in nearly every aspect of RC in a couple of posts when you've only given us the vaguest of clues.
You seriously need some good local help that can eyeball what you have and help you cobble something together. Try to get some contacts by way of local RC clubs and hobbyists.
Good luck and let us know how it goes!
-Ron
Old 05-28-2018, 10:42 AM
welderskelter

You sure are putting a damper on my parade. I figured if I took larger servos and hooked them to the joystick I should be able to control this thing. Maybe not. Anybody know anyplace in Fargo or surrounding area that would be able to help me> Thanks Harold
Old 05-28-2018, 10:59 AM
grotto2
My Feedback: (2)

I took a quick look at the AMA website under Club Search at Academy of Model Aeronautics - AMA Charter Club Search
There's a contact shown. You can try some different locations and mile radius numbers.
Maybe there are some car clubs in the area that can be of help, too.

Last edited by grotto2; 05-28-2018 at 11:01 AM.
Old 05-28-2018, 06:40 PM
welderskelter

Thanks GROTTO2 WILL HAVE TO LOOK THEM UP.
Old 06-08-2018, 11:25 AM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Without seeing anything of your project, and what little information you've given makes it very hard to provide answers to your questions... or even know what your'e dealing with. The more info you give, the more info you'll get back.

Here's a few questions that might help a few people to give info...

How big do you want this "bug" thing?...

Is it going to be electric powered?

What kind of mechanism's will it have?...

Even throw some pics up of anything you've already conceived... those help also.

Honestly I don't think there'd be a whole lot of welding.. depending on what you're talking about. Weight could be an issue if it's electric powered and carrying a payload(candy apparently)...and if it is electric.. the heavier it is, the more power you'd need and/or use.

What comes to mind for a simple thing like that really is one of the battery powered ride-on kids toys. One of those could be souped up with more batteries(for longer parade routes).. and since there's already steering of some sort... a few giant heavy duty servos and good leverage would probably have it going where you want it. These are mostly plastic, and most have enough power to carry kids around for an hour or so... but that can be modified with better batteries and motors and such... and could probably be made to go faster as well(although you probably don't want fast)..

For a launcher... just pull out your ingenuity hat and grab your favorite beverage(adult or otherwise).. and see what you come up with. There's several of these ride-ons at Walmart.com.. Target.com.. Amazon.com... and 50,000 other outlets... You might even find one that's a pick-up style and you can put a launcher device in the bed...

Your very best bet is to just keep reading/studying/etc... and start bookmarking ideas and such.... That can be time well spent.

I'm sure it's already been done... You just have to find it... We could all search it out for you.. but that's your area. It's all out there.... Just get creative with Google searches.... after all those are free right.

Over on RCGroups.com there's a gentleman that's doing an RC lawn-mower. I'll let you do the search on it though.. It's good practice for you if you're interested. Good luck with your project.
Old 06-08-2018, 12:47 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Guys, it sounds to me like the OP would be better off finding a Robot group that builds those things you see the high school kids build and have fights with them. Some of 'em seem pretty sophisticated. Don't know where to tell you to look, but if the HS kids can find the info, it's 'gotta be out there somewhere.