Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Reload this Page >

Spreadsheet for recording Futaba 9C programming is available

Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Spreadsheet for recording Futaba 9C programming is available

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2003, 02:13 PM
buckhorn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spreadsheet for recording Futaba 9C programming is available

After accidentally overwriting the Futaba 9C programming for one of my planes, I decided I needed a good way to record how each plane was set up in the transmitter.

A spreadsheet seemed like a good way to record 9C data, so I started one in Excel. Then I added to it, tweaked it, refined it and (months later) ended up with a really complete package for recording acro programming. It covers every 9C screen, and includes brief descriptions of many 9C functions (so I don't have to open the user manual so often). Most cells in the spreadsheet are set up as drop-down lists, so recording data is a point-and-click operation. It also includes an example showing one way to program crow.

With the programming data in a spreadsheet (where I can see it all), it's much easier to track down problems. Better than switching back and forth between several screens on the transmitter.

I'm making the spreadsheet available to other Futaba 9C users. You can download a copy from [link=http://www.stoneridgetech.com/rc/f9c-spreadsheet.shtml]www.stoneridgetech.com/rc/f9c-spreadsheet.shtml[/link]. Freeware.

Please let me know what you think.

Buckhorn
Old 09-27-2003, 07:20 PM
BalsaOvercast
My Feedback: (16)

Default RE: Spreadsheet for recording Futaba 9C programming is available

WOW! That's one impressive use of Excel. Having just bought a 9C this summer, and still in the experimenting phase, it will REALLY help me keep things recorded. This spreadsheet will really help a lot! Good work! Thanks for making it available to all of us for free, too.
Old 09-27-2003, 09:14 PM
Ross Kean

I am impressed!

I do lots of stuff in Excel and understand that a LOT of work went into this application. I'm sure that there will be embellishments as time passes! I will definately check your website regularly!

I am basically a tinkerer and I noticed that this was set up (appropriately) with password-protected fields so a user can't accidently mess stuff up. Do you wish to keep the PW secret to protect your development or is it available for those of us who like to play?

Thanks for the application - I will use it!

Note: Too bad Futaba and other manufacturers don't provide this sort of thing for their customers! I'm still disappointed that Futaba did not make their Tx so it could be interfaced with a computer for recording program info, for radio setup/programming and for software updates. With your spreadsheet, it is at least possible to share aircraft setups with others.

Ross
Old 09-27-2003, 10:43 PM
smitymax

What a great idea and much work you have done. Thank you for sharing. I have downloaded the program but will have to get Excel as I do not have it.

Thanks again.. Cheers
Old 09-28-2003, 12:57 AM
Maxime

Instead of paying the big bucks to get Excel ( or get a pirated copy ), try www.openoffice.org

It's a free program ( GNU licence ) and is very simillar to Microsoft Office ( and fully compatible )
Old 09-28-2003, 01:36 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

I put a link on my home page to your spreadsheet.
Excellent tool!
Old 09-29-2003, 11:10 PM
buckhorn

Thanks for all the compliments. I'm humbled.

I hadn't thought about it, but the spreadsheet is probably a good learning aid. It provides lots of basic information in a compact form. Jump to the manual for more detail or pick up the transmitter for hands-on work.

Re OpenOffice: I had someone try the spreadsheet in OpenOffice, but it didn't function. Too bad, that would have been a nice alternative for those who don't have Excel. Microsoft offers a free Excel viewer, which you could use to see the entire spreadsheet, but the viewer doesn't permit any interaction or changes.

Re passwords: I'd like to stay in control of the spreadsheet's internal workings. A worst case scenario if I opened it up: corrupted copies get circulated and I'm blamed for the problems. I'm open to suggestions for improvements, though. Send 'em in.

Buckhorn
Old 03-23-2005, 10:45 AM
buckhorn

Since it was posted in September 2003, the spreadsheet has been downloaded more than 1900 times.

People are starting to ask if I have plans to develop a version for the Futaba 7C. In a word, no. I encourage someone with a 7C and Excel experience to give it a try.

I'm not familiar with the 7C, but I did take a quick look at the manual on the Futaba web site. Here's my quick opinion... The 9C spreadsheet is very complex. I think it would be more difficult to reduce its functionality than to create a 7C spreadsheet from scratch (possibly using the 9C spreadsheet as a model).

If someone decides to take on the task, I'll be happy to answer questions about what I did.

Bill Creitz
"buckhorn"
Old 03-23-2005, 03:09 PM
1Eye
My Feedback: (2)

buckhorn wrote ...
Since it was posted in September 2003, the spreadsheet has been downloaded more than 1900 times.
Bill, it's no wonder - that spreadsheet is one impressive piece of work! Thanks for sharing it with us.

Mike
Old 03-23-2005, 07:06 PM
hypersoniq

wow, nice work. Having just got a 9Caps, this will be a great aid!
Old 03-24-2005, 12:03 PM
FredRasener

VERY NICE WORK. And many thanks for being so kind and sharing it. I will put this to good use.

THANKS AGAIN.