Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

spektrum AR12310 Receiver Issues

Old 01-15-2019, 04:31 PM
shortandsweet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question spektrum AR12310 Receiver Issues

I have had an issue with an AR12310T (updated firmware) with AS3000 attached. Spektrum DX18G2M2, Airware 2.01(current update).
Random high pitch tones occurring. All Telemetry except Flight Log inhibited.
After take off constant warnings of Telemetry loss of signal and RSSI warnings.
Extensive ground testing carried out with similar results. (AS3000 disconnected)
Another 2 Receivers and 3 other DX 18's were bound and tested with same results.
Horizon Hobbies emailed with comprehensive data/results, whitewash reply.
A more direct email sent to HH this time with a comment about their software update to the Receiver.
Whitewash reply with a bigger brush, too much data/info, suggested sending Receiver back to them in USA.
Their form will not accept overseas addresses.

Question:
1. Has anyone else experienced similar issues?
2. RSSI default is -85db/70%: is this what everyone is using?
3. With the "handle" of the DX18 in your hand Telemetry is lost, normal?
Old 01-16-2019, 08:36 AM
AndyKunz

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

1) I work in Engineering for Spektrum, and this would have crossed my desk but I do not recall it. I need your telemetry log file (.TLM) and your model config file (.SPM) so understand your settings.
2) -85dBm is about the range at which your receiver will not provide telemetry back to the transmitter. That's why that's the default value. If you lower the dBm value, you may be out of range before you know it. The -85dBm value is approximately 40% of control range.
3) Yes, the handle is the telemetry receiving antenna as well as one of the two control antennas.

We have several Service Centers around the globe. You can send it to them and ask them to forward it to the USA Engineering department. I communicate with most of them for issues. Send it to your nearest one.

Andy
The following users liked this post:
jiminga (12-02-2020)
Old 01-16-2019, 07:20 PM
shortandsweet

Hi Andy,

Thank you for your input.

I have sent you a Private Message with details of HH Tag.

Best Regards

Peter
Old 03-28-2019, 03:20 PM
G Force
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an issue that may be unrelated but still part of the Firmware update experience.
I have updated my Spektrum DX18G2 to Airware 2.01 and now find that my control surface/s sub trims are way off.
I dread the thought of having to check and re adjust all the trims on all my models.
Would appreciate feedback on this.
Old 03-28-2019, 03:21 PM
AndyKunz

The channel processing hasn't changed any. The subtrim values would remain unchanged.

What version were you coming from?

Andy
Old 03-28-2019, 07:27 PM
G Force

Originally Posted by AndyKunz
The channel processing hasn't changed any. The subtrim values would remain unchanged.

What version were you coming from?

Andy
Thanks for your response Andy.
Unfortunately I did not take note of the version number prior to the Firmware update. Is there a version that your not suppose to update from?
Even though you mention that the cannel processing hasn't changed and that the sub trim values would remain unchanged, this is not the case with my system.
I alerted a fellow RC buddy of the issue and it turns out that he too has had the same exact issue. I have not check how it will affect each and every one of my planes as of yet, but I am concerned.
If the Firmware update has indeed changed the sub trim values when you state it should not, then I wonder what else may be affected.
Old 03-29-2019, 04:47 AM
AndyKunz

Do you happen to have a backup copy of the model from before you did the update? If so, please attach that and an export from the current model. Same with your buddy - if he has that, it will help track down if there is an issue.

It's possible that we made a change a dozen or so revs ago that might have changed a definition for the step size, but that would only affect you if you were updating from a very early version.

Andy
Old 03-29-2019, 07:07 AM
G Force

Do you happen to have a backup copy of the model from before you did the update? If so, please attach that and an export from the current model. Same with your buddy - if he has that, it will help track down if there is an issue.

It's possible that we made a change a dozen or so revs ago that might have changed a definition for the step size, but that would only affect you if you were updating from a very early version.

Andy
Andy, I do have a copy of the previous spmtx.sax file (firmware update) and I see that I installed that file back in November of 2018.
I will be checking to see if this Firmware update did indeed affect all my models or not today. I it did affect all , then I am sure that I will have back up copies of many of the models.
Old 03-29-2019, 07:16 AM
AndyKunz

The SAX file doesn't help. I need the SPM file for the model.

Andy
Old 03-29-2019, 10:06 AM
G Force

Ok, I checked two of my giant warbirds along with my turbine jet. I can not See any variations from the pre Firmware update sub trim setups.
The trim could be off but I would not know for sure until I fly them. I will be flying the two warbirds tomorrow and report back to you with a definitive answer as to weather or not the sub trims were affected or not.
Ma be that only the plane affected is the new one I am now building and just put a new PowerSafe AR20310T receiver in?
I will ask my friend if he has the model backup file.
Old 03-29-2019, 10:23 AM
AndyKunz

If you changed from one of our older receivers to a new one, then by all means you WILL see a change.

The old receivers all had 1520us as the center pulse. The new ones (all those with AS3X or built-in telemetry, including the new AR410 and AR620) were changed to 1500us center. As a result, you will see a change of center AND ENDPOINTS.

Andy
Old 04-01-2019, 01:41 PM
G Force

I flew my two giant scale warbirds over the weekend and I am happy to report that the Firmware update did Not affect my other planes. I did speak with my buddy and he and I had the exact same experience;
We both have DX18G2 TX's and we are both working on new builds and installed the newest AR20310T receivers along with the AS3000 stabilization modules.
The planes were completely set up and all the sub trims were in correct neutral positions for centering of all control surfaces.
We then did the Firmware update to
2.01 on our TX's and afterwards noticed that Only One Aileron control surface moved off its mark considerably (about 1/4" on giant scale planes).
Old 04-01-2019, 02:04 PM
AndyKunz

Yup. It's a well-known (but apparently not well-enough known) thing about the new vs. old receivers.

Andy
Old 05-26-2019, 10:18 PM
walid67

Default Spektrum AR 12310T problems

Hello Gents,
I have experienced exactly the same symptoms of shortandsweet below, I installed my new receiver (not updated yet) on my MXS EF 94'' and using my Spektrum DX9, airware 2.0 updated. When I started doing range test on low power, I was surprised that RSSI alarm message was coming up all the time although the range test went very well and I could reach 50 m at low power and still was able to connect with the receiver. Then I decided to move to high power and do another range check where I will go for 600 m, again all went well but RSSI alarm went down to 4%, I was still getting good link with the receiver.
I decided to fly and remove the alarm on RSSI, all went well, Frame losses sometimes were zero and sometimes 4 per flight. No Hold occurred.
I have already bought the cable to upgrade the receiver, its on the way.
What is causing this problem? the receiver is usable and performing well but having good working telemetry is also a must, this is part of the package I bought and paid for.
Regards
There is also another issue with this same receiver and has to do with Servo twitching, but will leave it for another discussion
Old 05-27-2019, 03:08 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 343 Likes on 274 Posts

I'm not sure about the RSSI but the new update for that RX addressed the servo twitch
Old 05-27-2019, 04:44 AM
AndyKunz

Originally Posted by walid67
Hello Gents,
I have experienced exactly the same symptoms of shortandsweet below, I installed my new receiver (not updated yet) on my MXS EF 94'' and using my Spektrum DX9, airware 2.0 updated. When I started doing range test on low power, I was surprised that RSSI alarm message was coming up all the time although the range test went very well and I could reach 50 m at low power and still was able to connect with the receiver. Then I decided to move to high power and do another range check where I will go for 600 m, again all went well but RSSI alarm went down to 4%, I was still getting good link with the receiver.
I decided to fly and remove the alarm on RSSI, all went well, Frame losses sometimes were zero and sometimes 4 per flight. No Hold occurred.
I have already bought the cable to upgrade the receiver, its on the way.
What is causing this problem? the receiver is usable and performing well but having good working telemetry is also a must, this is part of the package I bought and paid for.
I'm not sure what you are seeing as the problem. If it is the low RSSI number when on the ground, this is normal. It's called the Fresnel Zone effect and you can read about it in many scholarly places on the web as well as some RC sites (which is sometimes in error). Basically, when you are close to the ground, signal range is dramatically lowered.

The best units for RSSI reporting are %Range. The raw % is useless in my opinion. The dBm value is the most valuable, but it is hard for most folks to understand. Note that at close range, the dBm value drops off rapidly but drops more slowly as you get farther away. That is because this is a logarithmic value.

If you are seeing telemetry range as an issue, keep in mind that telemetry range on these is about 40% of control range at most. You have control of your model for about 2km (it depends very much on environmental and installation, so I can't give you an exact number) in the air. You can only see it for a much shorter range, so if you can see your model then you can control your model.

There is also another issue with this same receiver and has to do with Servo twitching, but will leave it for another discussion
As noted in the previous message, that is corrected with the update. Please update your receiver to the new code.

Andy
Old 05-27-2019, 05:13 AM
walid67

I'm not sure what you are seeing as the problem. If it is the low RSSI number when on the ground, this is normal. It's called the Fresnel Zone effect and you can read about it in many scholarly places on the web as well as some RC sites (which is sometimes in error). Basically, when you are close to the ground, signal range is dramatically lowered.

The best units for RSSI reporting are %Range. The raw % is useless in my opinion. The dBm value is the most valuable, but it is hard for most folks to understand. Note that at close range, the dBm value drops off rapidly but drops more slowly as you get farther away. That is because this is a logarithmic value.

If you are seeing telemetry range as an issue, keep in mind that telemetry range on these is about 40% of control range at most. You have control of your model for about 2km (it depends very much on environmental and installation, so I can't give you an exact number) in the air. You can only see it for a much shorter range, so if you can see your model then you can control your model.

As noted in the previous message, that is corrected with the update. Please update your receiver to the new code.

Andy
Thank you Andy for the details, I switched off the alarm notification for the RSSI as it was disturbing me. Rightly so the plane was on the ground and the low % range reading was confusing me as I did not understand how I can be so close and still getting this reading. Next time I will fly and check. On the servo twitching, it happened on my 105" aileron servos when I used MKS 777A+ and power box cable extension. When I switched receiver to JR RG1131BPU instead of 12310T, servos behaved normally. I spoke to MKS support, they mentioned about "clarity of the signal" and MKS servos being very sensitive, I'm not really expert in this domain so not sure if I'm conveying the right message. I really hope receiver software update will sort it out.
Old 05-27-2019, 08:34 AM
BarracudaHockey

From the change log

Change Log Version 1.6.45
 Fixed a Servo jitter issue that was only seen on some servos
Old 06-17-2019, 05:01 PM
jctpro
My Feedback: (1)

Question Can't get servos to work

I want to use the AR122310T receiver without the soft switch. When I bind the receiver and plug in one servo, it never gets power. Can this receiver work without a soft switch? Are there other issues?
Old 06-17-2019, 05:08 PM
AndyKunz

Did you have all the remote receivers attached? It won'd work without them.

Did you have any programming in it? It needs to see neutral sticks for them to intialize.

Go to the Forward Programming screen. It'll give you status there if it's waiting for certain things.

Andy
Old 06-17-2019, 06:50 PM
jctpro

I have 3 sats attached. I am using a DX7S that does not have forward programming. Is this a problem? Is there a transmitter requirement?
Old 06-18-2019, 04:51 AM
AndyKunz

A DX7s will drive the receiver, but you won't be able to use any of the stabilization features are it's necessary to have a G2 transmitter for configuring it.

Just to be sure, you do NOT have an AS3000 attached, right? And it wasn't programmed for stabilization on a different transmitter in the past?

Andy
Old 06-18-2019, 06:23 AM
jctpro

I only have the batteries and one servo plugged into the receiver. I do not know if anyone plugged in other devices in the past. I did install new firmware going back one rev and then to the latest hoping this was a factory reset. Is there a way to reload to a factory setting to see if that is the issue? Right now there is no power getting to the servos.
Old 06-18-2019, 06:25 AM
BarracudaHockey

Did you bind it with all the sat's attached and blinking?
Old 06-18-2019, 06:46 AM
AndyKunz

Actually, if you've updated the software, you may need to bind it to a G2 transmitter so that you can access the Factory Reset option from the Forward Programming menu.

And like Andy said, you do need to have the remote receivers attached and blinking when you bind, so that all is working as required.

Andy

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.