Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Looking for a New Radio

Old 10-07-2019, 09:46 AM
DUHAWK49
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for a New Radio

Iíve had a Hitec Aurora 9x for the last several years. Looking to maybe upgrade to a newer radio. Iíve been looking into Futaba and Spektrum radios with 8 channels. Iíd like to hear what owners like about them both. Iíve had a Futaba radio I used before for a heli and it was a nice radio. Donít know much about the spektrum products. Looking into ease of programming and updating ability. Any info appreciated thanks.
Old 10-08-2019, 08:22 AM
ticedoff8

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Since I got back into the hobby 10 years ago, I've only had Spektrum radios and I've never used a Hitec radio. So, I can't compare them.
Personally, I'd recommend the Spektrum radios to anyone that asks. I own a DX7, DX9 & iX12.
I'd recommend the DX9 (9 channels) instead of the DX8 - it just feels better and has one or two features the 8 channel radio (DX8) doesn't have.
I'd would not recommend the iX12. It is v1.0 and I broke the rule that says "Never buy v1.0 of anything". There are things about it that are pretty cool. And other things that just piss me off.
Updating the DX9 is basically easy - and reliable. The good news is that there may not be any updates to that radio in the future, so that takes care of learning to update.
The menus on the DX8 / DX9 are ok. They cannot be compared to a newer radio with a computer-like display interface. But, the menus work ok and there is a lot of tribal knowledge on setting them up.
But, I fly helicopters and not fixed wing. So, if you are a fixed wing flyer, there may be things about the Spektrum DX-series that would not work for you that I've never discovered.

Last edited by ticedoff8; 10-08-2019 at 08:35 AM.
Old 10-08-2019, 10:17 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 147 Likes on 118 Posts

For sure DX-9
Old 10-09-2019, 05:33 AM
AndyKunz

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ticedoff8 View Post
The good news is that there may not be any updates to that radio in the future, so that takes care of learning to update.
But, but, but ... !!!!!

I'm working on an update for the DX9 right now, and we have plans already in the works for the one that follows!

Why would we not continue to support and improve our most popular product?!?!!?

Andy
Old 10-09-2019, 08:36 AM
DUHAWK49
My Feedback: (6)

Default Dx9

I was looking into the DX9 but itís a little more expensive than I want to spend. The DX8 May be what I go with. I was also looking into the Futaba 12k
Old 10-13-2019, 01:08 AM
architfly

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am also in need of a new one. But i am in India plz suggest from where can i get it online in india ?
Old 10-14-2019, 12:57 PM
GeoffS

If you're not 100% stuck on Spektrum, I'd suggest looking at one of the multi-protocol transmitters out there.

The Jumper T16-Pro is getting good reviews. I haven't bought one yet (it's likely going to be my next/last Tx).
It has a built-in multi-protocol RF module, Hall-effect gimbals, and uses OpenTX.
https://oscarliang.com/jumper-t16-pro/
Old 10-16-2019, 04:23 AM
jdquadjammer

Spectrum is all good !! BUT for a third of the price and keeping you from having to buy MULTIPLE "EXPENSIVE" Transmitters just to get more channels you can buy the TARANIS X9D plus or the Qx7 and get 16 channels of Sbus/PWM/CPPM etc and ALL the bells and whistles of the spectrum for a TON cheaper, the programming, setup and OpenTX are SUPER user friendly, AND the FRSKY receivers are 1/2 the cost of the Spectrum. the X8r is 29.99 and the RX6R 27.99. YOUR MONEY !!!!
Old 11-02-2019, 09:01 AM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You really need to think about how much capability you will need moving forward. I have been flying a Hitec A9 for 10 years and love it, but I need more channels and capabilities. I just bought a Grapner MZ 32. It has as much or more than anything offered by the other brands. So far I absolutely love it. But just to throw another option out there, check out the Graupner line. They offer flight control RXers, and a large line otherwise that.are reasonably priced.