Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Was buying a Futaba 14SG a mistake?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2020, 06:46 PM
butchn
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Was buying a Futaba 14SG a mistake?

I just ordered this radio because I needed 8 channels for my B17 and my 9C with the TM8 module will only put out 7 channels. I then downloaded the manual and quickly skimmed through it and read where in FASST mode it will only do 7 channels also. So did I mess up? Read something about FASST-MULTI but not sure if this will get me what I want or not ... I am not using Futaba RX's. Appreciate it if someone could clarify this - might need to cancel the order.
Old 01-23-2020, 07:35 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Are you sure you don't have the TM7 module? my 9C with the TM8 puts out 8 channels when the dip switch on it is set to 8 channel mode. You do need a receiver that can receive 8 or more channels at the time the 9C
was out you went from the Futaba 8ch receiver to the 14 ch receiver there was nothing in between.
Old 01-23-2020, 07:49 PM
butchn

I will have to check - it is a TM8 I could not find the manual but I remember something about it now that you mention it - is there something about being in FM vrs PPM mode when using this switch? Seems I recall it saying something about it ... but not sure of anything. Will check it tomorrow.
Thanks for the heads-up! May have saved me some big bucks!
Old 01-23-2020, 09:28 PM
ira d

Originally Posted by butchn
I will have to check - it is a TM8 I could not find the manual but I remember something about it now that you mention it - is there something about being in FM vrs PPM mode when using this switch? Seems I recall it saying something about it ... but not sure of anything. Will check it tomorrow.
Thanks for the heads-up! May have saved me some big bucks!
You have to be in PPM mode not PCM when using the TM8.
Old 01-24-2020, 06:38 AM
butchn

Switched the TM8 to 8 channel but still no response, in fact the RX does not respond at all. TX is in PPM mode? Do I need to re-link the RX after making the switch change? I am using a FrSky 8 channel FASST compatible RX.
Old 01-24-2020, 10:29 AM
ira d

Switched the TM8 to 8 channel but still no response, in fact the RX does not respond at all. TX is in PPM mode? Do I need to re-link the RX after making the switch change? I am using a FrSky 8 channel FASST compatible RX.
it has been a while since I used my TM8 and I don't remember having to relink after changing the switch but it's worth a try. I have a FrSky FASST compatible receiver that I use with my 16SZ and I dont understand why it
would not work with the TM8 although I have never used it with my TM8. I have semi retired my 9C and use it mostly in the shop to set up systems .
Old 01-24-2020, 11:36 AM
butchn

Tried re-linking but still no workeee? Only can access 7 channels on my frsky TFR8S RX.
Old 01-24-2020, 11:52 AM
butchn

Originally Posted by ira d
it has been a while since I used my TM8 and I don't remember having to relink after changing the switch but it's worth a try. I have a FrSky FASST compatible receiver that I use with my 16SZ and I dont understand why it
would not work with the TM8 although I have never used it with my TM8. I have semi retired my 9C and use it mostly in the shop to set up systems .
Do you know if you have the 16SZ in FASST-MULTI mode? If that is the case then I guess any Futaba TX than can do FASST-MULTI would work for the non-futaba 8 channel RX's. Or am I missing something?
Old 01-24-2020, 12:36 PM
ira d

Do you know if you have the 16SZ in FASST-MULTI mode? If that is the case then I guess any Futaba TX than can do FASST-MULTI would work for the non-futaba 8 channel RX's. Or am I missing something?
Yes I fly the FrSky in FASST Multi mode with the 16SZ and that is the same mode I use to currently operate my old R6008HS that I use to operate with my TM8.