Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Spektrum DX8 G2 have I destroyed it??

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2020, 07:55 PM
Inver Ted

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Spektrum DX8 G2 have I destroyed it??

The battery charger stopped working so I used a generic .5A 12v charger. When I turn the radio on now the LCD display screen flashes on and off and so do the orange vertical bar lights.

Is the flashing a code for piff it in the bin? Haven't had a chance to try a new battery in it yet, it's been a good radio I hope it survives.

Has anyone else had this issue or have ideas about what might be wrong with it?
Thanks.
Old 03-17-2020, 03:38 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Piff it in the bin. I like that.

I don't have my DX6 any more so I can't test this but I do know that some charge jacks have a positive center and some have a negative center. You may have connected yours up backwards. That is one reason to always use the charger that comes with your unit. But don't "piff it in the bin" yet. Your transmitter could has be diode protected against hooking it up wrong an merely just have been discharged more. I suggest taking it to your LHS and having it checked. Or a friend with a Spektrum unit. You could also call Spektrum.
Old 03-17-2020, 08:39 AM
Inver Ted

Thanks, I'm in Ha Noi no one here uses Spektrum. I'll see what I can dig up on the web.
Old 03-17-2020, 10:30 AM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

The Battery is a 2S LiIon with an integrated charger. It is NOT a LiPo (unlike the DX8G1 or DX9 battery). The only way to charge it is via a wall wart.

So yeah, you fried something. Could be the battery, could be the power circuit in the tranny. Call Horizon product support. That's about all you can do, other then take a chance and get the correct charger(Spektrum wall wart specific for these radios) and see if that works.... and there's no guarantee it will... chances are slim really.

There might be a chance the radio would still work if you got the correct charger and a new battery... maybe. The batteries in these radios have their own integrated charging circuits, and by putting rogue power to them it definitely creates problems, especially when you don't know what you're doing. Hopefully lesson learned for you.

So start digging on the web, I could be wrong here, but I doubt it. Good luck.
Old 03-17-2020, 05:36 PM
Inver Ted

DG thanks, agreed, I strongly suspect my problem is owner induced (understatement of the year). You're right, it's worth a shot with fingers crossed. I'll contact Horizon, I'm thinking it might be best to package it up and send to a Spektrum service center for the best outcome either way. If it's fried, they can send me a new one, if it's fixable, great. The thing that makes me think I've damaged something in the radio is that the battery output is spot on 7.4V which is the printed spec. on the battery.

Think I"ll get another one, it has sufficient bells and whistles for me and has been great up until I needed this expensive lesson

Cheers,
Old 03-17-2020, 09:32 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I can say from recent experience, Horizon/Spektrum service is second to none. I sent a high end receiver in for repair/warranty on a Thursday(sent it half way across the country too), and I got my receiver back the next Friday.... so 8 days... total. I was shocked. I believe they jump on this stuff immediately. So if that helps, send it in, and you might be very surprised at the service... I knew it was good and fast, I just didn't know how good. If it can be fixed, they can help you. Call them up and they might even email you a prepaid FedEx label.. they did for me. Mine was still under warranty... If your transmitter is still under warranty, give that a try.
Old 03-17-2020, 09:40 PM
Inver Ted

Hey DG,

Yep, since you recommended them I sent them an email. See what happens. Some places in the US won't deliver to here. I just get more time for plane prep until it's resolved.

Cheers,