Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Spektrum utility software?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2020, 12:48 PM
[email protected]

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spektrum utility software?

I recall in years gone by that JR provided utility software that allowed the user to open model files held in tx memory. It was then possible to examine specific model setups, mixes and make adjustments and restore back to the tx,
Does anyone know of similar software that will allow inspection and modification of Spektrum .spm files? I have a DX9. Many thanks for help,

Last edited by [email protected]; 04-18-2020 at 02:01 PM.
Old 04-19-2020, 10:26 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Word Pad will let you look at an spm file. It takes some experience and deciphering, and I'm no expert, I'm still new to that aspect, but yeah, I've looked at and manipulated files.

Best person to ask is Andy Kunz. Maybe he will elaborate with some very experienced info.

I've been messing with it for a while now, and am very curious how the masterminds do it...but the simple WordPad program will open the file and let you read it, and after some study you should be able to make heads and tails of it somewhat. It's really pretty clear, there's alot of info in one file though.
Old 04-20-2020, 05:38 AM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

WordPad, Notepad++, PFE (Programmers File Editor), and gedit all work fine.

Your next question is probably going to be "Is there a document explaining this?" The answer is, "No, and we won't be making one. We don't advise hand-editing the SPM files."

Andy
Old 04-20-2020, 09:09 AM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Good info Andy. The safest bet is that as end users, the best way for us to manipulate spm files and edit set-ups and adjustments is in the transmitter itself. There's probably alot that could go wrong that we might not realize until it's too late.
Old 04-21-2020, 01:41 AM
[email protected]

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FAO Andy Kunz. Like DG's previous post, I have also looked at the SPM data files in notepad and find it of limited help. I am surprised that considering the popularity of Spektrum, that software hasn't been written that could transform the SPM files into a readable tabulated format similar to JR did for their 12X tx. I found this most useful, see attached screen shot showing page 1 of 6 of a single model file. In Spektrum's defence I have found that programming their tx far more intuitive than JR! Anyway, keep up the good work!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
JR data download.pdf (300.4 KB, 9 views)
Old 04-21-2020, 03:36 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

The 12x was a nightmare to program, they had to do something

Spektrum is so easy there's only a few instances were hand editing the SPM is even remotely useful IMO
The following users liked this post:
[email protected] (04-21-2020)
Old 04-21-2020, 03:59 AM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by [email protected]
FAO Andy Kunz. Like DG's previous post, I have also looked at the SPM data files in notepad and find it of limited help. I am surprised that considering the popularity of Spektrum, that software hasn't been written that could transform the SPM files into a readable tabulated format similar to JR did for their 12X tx. I found this most useful, see attached screen shot showing page 1 of 6 of a single model file. In Spektrum's defence I have found that programming their tx far more intuitive than JR! Anyway, keep up the good work!
When we first released the DX8 G1 over ten years ago I was fully expecting a program to be written which would allow desktop editing of the files, probably out of Germany.

Since then I know of 5 people who started on such a tool shortly after getting their radios. I've been able to follow up with 4 of them, and they all said that they came to the conclusion that the transmitter was easier to use than they expected. None of them has brought anything out.

Simply being able to move the file easily from one transmitter to another has been sufficient. No need for paper when you have a file to share with your friends.

Andy