Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Reload this Page >

Taranis Q X7 and X4r receiver issues get no motor or servo output

Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Taranis Q X7 and X4r receiver issues get no motor or servo output

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2020, 05:28 PM
Rmarasky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Ted its me again.
i have a new X8R receiver 8 channel i have been trying to get setup properly i get it bind but i am still having the same issue here like i did before where i get no servo action and no throttle.
i tried everything you mentioned before and nothing works .
can you help me again on this.
Right now i have Ch range 1-16
RXNum if i try channel 4 where the esc is plugged in i get that was used on the Wing so i try any other channel and i put the esc into that port on the receiver but it still sits there an beeps the motor
i have tried all the different numbers and moving the esc to different ports but still cannot get no throttle or servos.
not sure what i am doing wrong here.
let me know if you need me to do something to get you my config
this is a new air plane i setup and i set it up through the Open TX Companion.
thanks for any help you can provide.
Old 06-07-2020, 08:47 PM
tedsander

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts

Best to send a copy of the Companion file, that way I can look at the whole thing. See post #6 above if you need to review how to do it.
Also, tell me a bit more about the plane - Delta? Conventional? Rudder? How many servos for ailerons, elevators? Any other options like retractable gear, flaps, etc? Mostly need to know how many servos, and what surfaces they will be moving (count the Esc as a "servo" since it controls the throttle).
Old 06-08-2020, 11:47 AM
Rmarasky

Hi Ted
I got that figured out I looked how I got my wing setup on the radio and just did a carbon copy
I found out when I connected to the companion
that I had trim off on the throttle so I put that in my new model and it connected so not sure what that does.
i do have one more question the new model is a Corsair with flaps
the only way I can set up new models on the radio is through companion cause the radio wizard does not work right it locks up, but I setup flaps with companion wizard and looked at the radio what switch it setup I saw it was sa the first switch in the left but when I hit that the flaps do not deploy they do nothing.
i will send u a copy of the configuration when I get home tonight
thank tou
Old 06-08-2020, 12:47 PM
tedsander

Originally Posted by Rmarasky
Hi Ted
I got that figured out I looked how I got my wing setup on the radio and just did a carbon copy
I found out when I connected to the companion
that I had trim off on the throttle so I put that in my new model and it connected so not sure what that does.
i do have one more question the new model is a Corsair with flaps
the only way I can set up new models on the radio is through companion cause the radio wizard does not work right it locks up, but I setup flaps with companion wizard and looked at the radio what switch it setup I saw it was sa the first switch in the left but when I hit that the flaps do not deploy they do nothing.
i will send u a copy of the configuration when I get home tonight
thank tou
Check your ESC directions - most have to be taught what low throttle is, and what high throttle is, in order to arm and operate. Many have a default, but that can be different from Spektrum to Futaba to FRsky, hence the teaching it about your radio. That was my guess from your discription, but I didn't want to jump to that without seeing your setup first. I usually disable the throttle trim to avoid unintended consequensces, but set my arming switch so that it forces the throttle to be lower than the normal lowest throttle setting, and prevents any input from throttle until I flip the switch. I'll put that in the file you send, and describe how it works, so you can see whether you like it or not.
Old 06-08-2020, 04:57 PM
Rmarasky

Hi Ted i got the same issue again i setup a new air plane on my Taranis !X7 and i got a X8R receiver and got it bind to the taranis but i am getting that beeping again from the motor and no thottle or servos i have tried just what you mentioned in the last thread or the last air plane i setup the Wing but none of that works.
i have tried the Ch range from 1-4 and 1-5 and i put the RXnumber on 4 but it says that is used by model wing.
i put that on different channels and re bind but still same thing the beeping.
i dont know what else to do as i have tried everything can you help me again on this same issue ?
Old 06-08-2020, 05:15 PM
Rmarasky

Hi i attached the file you asked for but i had to go to another page to attach the file.
i hope you can find it.I hope you can help me out with the Flaps issue, is weird in the mixing the switch works i can see it when i flip it and when the receiver got bind yesterday and got everything working the flaps went down but i could not get them to come back up.
also something else weird is with my airtronics receiver my alerons worked just fine and were trim now that i have this X8R on there just one of the alerons works normal, the other works only 1/2 the throw so not sure whats going on with that, everything else works normal.
also could you help me with the throttle cut switch i tried to set that up prior to binding the receiver but the switch does not work so i had to take the throttle cut off.
thanks so much for all help.
Attached Files
File Type: txt
document8.txt (1.5 KB, 26 views)
Old 06-08-2020, 07:55 PM
tedsander

Something is corrupt in the file. For the Corsair, under Inputs, for Throttle it says "t Weight (+100%)" instead of the correct "Thr Weight (+100%)". For the Wing, under inputs, there are three lines for Elevator., and the same "t" instead of "Thr" for that source. And several other things that look pretty off.

You said the Wizard crashes your radio.
When you look at the above items in the radio, do they have the same errors?
If not, are they there after you upload to Companion?
If both those are good, create a new file, and re-upload it here. Might have gotten corrupted by RCU.

What version of OpenTX are you running?
We are working on the Corsair, right?
Old 06-09-2020, 05:03 AM
Rmarasky

Yes working on the Corsair, the OpenTX on the radio has never worked, when i go to setup new model on the radio and it asked for wich type of model i cannot scroll between i cant choose anything either, it has been like that since i opened the box. so i have to setup everything through the companion Frsky said they would help me when they get back in the office.
i'm not sure what happened with the corrupt area's cause i created that through the companion.
I created the Test model just the other day but have not done anything with it.
But yes i am trying to get the Corsair working what is weird is if i put the flaps back to normal no sooner i connect up the battery and it see's the radio the flaps go down but i cannot do anythig with them.
The Throttle is working on the Corsair but i just cannot do throttle cut and the switch for the flaps does not work .
thanks for all of your help here
Old 06-09-2020, 06:50 AM
tedsander

When you view it in Companion, does it have the errors I noted?? What version of OpenTX are you using?

RCU has been badly behaved for me lately, too. I blame too much work-at-home traffic slowing down the internet connection. So very possible the copy you first sent got corrupted on its way to RCU and me.

As a side note, I would advise reading up on how to reinstall or upgrade the version of OpenTX on your radio. That would likely fix the issues you are having. Besides installing the software, you'll have to essentially erase and install all new files on the SD card, and install the new version of Companion if upgrading..
I'm now on 2.3.7 for the X9D, and it all seems very good. Haven't seen anything in the way of issues for the QX7. Normally upgrades don't harm any models you have set up, but due to changes, you have to review everything to make sure. But in this case, if they are a bit wonky, and you don't have much stored anyway, it may be best to just start fresh.

For now, just upload a new copy of the Companion file, and the answers to the first questions in this post, and we'll see if it comes through better.
Old 06-09-2020, 07:36 AM
Rmarasky

I think I am running the latest open tx I think it is 2.3 but will have to check when I get back home and let u know
Old 06-09-2020, 01:03 PM
Rmarasky

Hi Ted i just checked My version on Companion is 2.3.7 and i have done a write to my radio of the firmware but it does not take the firmware update on the radio it still says 2.3.0
so not sure whats up with this radio any help would be great thanks
Old 06-09-2020, 01:30 PM
tedsander

Oh, that does not sound good. Let's verify a couple of things. Tell me what you get for each of the three items listed:
1. On the radio, re-verify the version it shows. Go to the Version page in the systems menu. The version will always be in 2.3.x format, with x being some number from 0-7. That may be followed by other numbers/characters that we don't care about for now.
2. Turn the radio off, and go into bootloader mode (the trim switch/power button startup). At the top, it will tell you what version bootloader you have. Again in 2.3.x format.
3. Verify the version of Companion. Go to Help and About, from the main screen.

This may be where you are getting the errors - Companion is uploading models and converting them to 2.3.7, but then is saving the new version back to the radio...which doesn't completely know how to deal with the newer version, so introduces errors. Which are then seen again when you upload - or make things just not work when trying to use the radio.
Depending on what you report for 1, 2 and 3 we can then decide whether to try to restore everything to 2.3.0 or move everything to 2.3.7
Old 06-09-2020, 01:35 PM
Rmarasky

The Boot loader is 2.3.0 and companion is 2.3.7
i have tried multiple times to write the firmware to the radio it states it completes but then i go back into boot loader and it is still 2.3.0
So not sure what i am doing wrong.
Possible bad radio or i dont know what i am doing .

thanks Ted any help on this would be great.
Old 06-09-2020, 07:23 PM
tedsander

What version is actually on the radio - listed on the Version page inside the settings menu?

There are actually 3 different pieces of software involved:
1. The version of OpenTX itself.
2. The version of the bootloader installed. What shows here might NOT be the actual version of OpenTX you are using.
3. The version of Companion used.
Plus, all files on the SD card.
They should all be the same version numbers.
Old 06-10-2020, 02:15 PM
Rmarasky

Hi Ted

On the Version page 7/7

I have FW opentx –x7

Vers 2.3.0

Date 2019 -09—5

EEPR 219

I have went through the Companion and hit download Firmware and it downloads it then it comes up do I want to write to radio and I say yes and it writes to the radio and says completed.

I guess I will have to look for the version of firmware I need and download it, don’t know what else to do.

The Boot loader is 2.3.0

Companion is 2.3.7

What do you think I need to do ?
Old 06-10-2020, 08:49 PM
tedsander

I suspect you uploaded models from OpenTX on the radio (2.3.0) to Companion (2.3.7) - which normally is fine, the newer Companion would translate it. But then you downloaded models back to the radio, and the radio couldn't fully understand the new format, and things got corrupted.

This may get hard, but let's try the easy-ish thing first:

1. Go into your radio, and delete every model there.
2. In Companion, go to Settings, Then Settings again.
Make sure Radio Type is "FrSky Taranis X7/X7S". NOT the one similar that says "ACCESS"
Check the boxes "noheli", "lua", and "sqt5font" (we're doing this to force Companion to download a new version of the file)
At the bottom, check the "Append version number.." and "Offer to write FW.." boxes.
Make a note as to what is listed under "SD Structure path"
3. Put your radio into bootloader mode, and plug it in to the USB.
4. Click OK on the settings window.
5. It should download the firmware, and offer to write it to the radio. Select "yes" if it does.
If it doesn't download, go to "File", then "Download". Select the "Download Firmware" button. It should then start the download, and then offer to do the install.
6. After it finishes, unhook your radio. Turn it off, then back on. Go to the Settings/Version page on the radio and see what version of OpenTX it is now reporting. Should be 2.3.7 Don't do anything else, yet. Stop here if it isn't, and let me know.

7. If it is good, then go back to Downloads in Companion, and hit the "Download SD contents" button. Pick the one that ends with 2.3V0026
8. Find that downloaded zip file, and unzip it.
9. Delete everything on your SD card on the radio, and then copy in the new SD contents you just unzipped.
10. If the note you made about the SD structure path shows you have a copy of the SD card on your computer, go there and delete all that too. Copy in to that location everything from the new SD contents you unzipped.

We still need to update the bootloader itself, but that is not critical. Test your radio, including the Wizard, to see how things behave. Make a simple model on it, upload to Companion, save it back to the radio with no changes, and look at it on the radio to see if anything looks different than what is in Companion. Do not close the original test model window in Companion. But upload the model again - it will appear in a new window. You can then open the original and the most recent at the same time, to see if there are any differences.

If all is good, then we'll work on the bootloader. Otherwise report back about where things didn't go right.
Old 06-11-2020, 05:48 AM
Rmarasky

You are so great it works and the version is up to 2.3.7 and now i can build aircraft on the radio, from the time i opened the box i have not been able to select which air craft but now i can and i can set everything up on the radio.
so now for the boot loader
let me know what i need to do.
thank you again so much
Old 06-11-2020, 07:03 AM
Rmarasky

well i tried to create the Wing i have in the radio and now it allows me to choose which model but it wont let me choose opt in there like it did for the Corsair.
so not sure whats still going on.
Old 06-11-2020, 07:10 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

42 back and forth posts all because you changed from Airtronics to OpenTX.
Old 06-11-2020, 08:02 AM
Rmarasky

Question

I tested the model i setup through the radio it is my Corsair and everything works as should except for the Flaps, so that's good so far, i cannot figure out how to get the flaps working on this.
i go into the mixes and go down to the Flaps and go in there and go to source and click on it an move the first switch and set it up as the SA switch but it still does not work.
But everything else seems good.
Old 06-11-2020, 10:50 AM
tedsander

Originally Posted by Rmarasky
I tested the model i setup through the radio it is my Corsair and everything works as should except for the Flaps, so that's good so far, i cannot figure out how to get the flaps working on this.
i go into the mixes and go down to the Flaps and go in there and go to source and click on it an move the first switch and set it up as the SA switch but it still does not work.
But everything else seems good.
Whew! Now send me the latest otx file, and I'll take a look at it!
Old 06-11-2020, 11:25 AM
Rmarasky

Thanks Ted for all the help, question for you have you ever had to work this much with anyone before ?
I know computers and networks but programming is well one of my lower values and this thing i did not know what i was getting into before i purchased it.
but thanks for all the help you have given me.
Attached Files
document3.txt (880 Bytes, 19 views)
Old 06-11-2020, 02:40 PM
tedsander

This is nothin'! I'm retired, so have the time. And I used to be tech support for a business support department at a major University. So spent all day on calls from users, unless I was out visiting them to fix their issues. Besides, I get to learn new stuff about OpenTX too, as I investigate problems others are having.

So, let's fix one little thing that just bugs me...it is really of no issue at all, other than that.
When I select a source for Inputs or Mixing, Throttle shows as a "t", instead of the default "Thr".
On your radio, with it turned on, go into Systems, and page over to page 6 - Hardware. Down where it says Thr, next to it is a "t", instead of "---" like all the others. Change it to the "---"
OpenTX allows one to rename all the sticks, switches, sliders, etc. and that's what happened here. No biggie, but it can fool someone (like me!) into thinking something is wrong with the radio if they don't know.

When using Companion, from the Editing of the Model, hit the Simulate button at the bottom. This brings up a picture of the radio, and all the controls operate just like the real one. In that window, go to "View" and "Radio Outputs", which opens up another window. In the tabs at the top, initially only turn on the "Channel Outputs" (the others are there for viewing various advanced settings). Wiggle the sticks in the transmitter window, and you'll see the bars for each channel change - these are the amounts that are actually being sent to the servos, after settings in Inputs, Mixing, Outputs have done their magic. There's not a good way to tell exactly how this translates to your specific model, but it does give you the idea of how changes affect the final outputs. So, for example, if you flip SA of the Corsair, you'll see Ch7 move a bit. So it is working. But see the notes below.

Setup page:
1. You should set the channels to 8 for the X8R receiver and rebind. Leaving it at 4 means the radio will only send 4 channels. Since you have flaps on Ch7, the receiver never knows about it!

I have to leave off for a little, but will send along more about the flaps in the next post.
Old 06-11-2020, 08:55 PM
tedsander

Alright, I'm back....attached is a version of the Corsair that I jazzed up. This may be a long post....sorry...

Word of warning - when you download a file to the radio, it downloads everything. Even the blank spaces for future models. So if you've gone ahead and created other models, downloading can wipe them out by replacing with blanks!
The way around it is to first upload everything from the radio into Companion. Then Open the otx file that has new stuff. You'll have two windows open. Drag the individual models from the new file, and drop them in a blank position on the list in the one from the radio. Then you can download the radio list back to the radio. Since you didn't change anything that was already there, you won't lose it when downloading.

What I did:
Setup - changed the number of channels to 8. Rebind your 8XR to make all 8 active. You can skip this if you've already done this from the previous post. Just make sure the receiver number is the same.

Inputs -
Dual Rates: Added as a how-to example. A,E,R each has them, all controlled by switch SF↑ for high rate. Note that the second line for each has no switch. This is referred to as a "bail out". Let's pretend you instead had a 3-pos switch and had high rate on SB↑, and low rate on SB-, and just didn't use SB↓ at all. What happens when you accidentally go to SB↓ when in the air? The system starts at the top line for the control, if the switch isn't right, it goes to the second. If the switch still isn't right for the second line, it doesn't know where to go, so doesn't do anything - you just killed your control completely while flying. So the last line for a control in inputs should be left with no switch. That way it always has something that will work, if everything else above doesn't. You could make a third line for SB↓, that is the same as the second line except for the switch. But that's just extra stuff to do. And what if you accidentally pick SC↓ rather than SB↓ from the list? So better to just have something that will always work.

Flaps : I don't know how they are set up on the plane. The most basic setup has the servo arm all the way toward the rear with flaps full up. As the control changes, the arm rotates all the way forward, pulling the flaps all the way down. The example gives you flaps up, flaps 1/2 and flaps full down on SA. If the servo goes backwards, trying to push the flaps up, change each of the weights from + to - or - to +.
You did most of the same kind of work in Mixing. This example shifts it to Inputs. Inputs are to adjust a control on the radio. Mixing is to direct that control to a servo. It can get confusing, and there is much overlap where it will work in either tab
You could use SA for the source, as you did. But SA has a value of +100 when up, 0 in the middle, and -100 when down. I find it easier to use the special source MAX, which is always 100 and nothing but. Then change the weights based on the switch position. Nothing wrong with using SA as a source, but I think it is a little more understandable using MAX.
Normally, you shouldn't have to deal with Offset for this, but there are times... You had a "5" in for Diff. That was a pretty small amount, that did very little. Almost always Diff should be 0. It mostly comes into play when you have a normal surface, such as ailerons, that you want to have more down than up, in some planes. You won't find a use for it very often.
Note that I set the weights to +/-50% only because I don't know the setup on the plane, and I didn't want it to try and turn the servo too far if things aren't as I assumed.
Flaps can get very tricky, depending on the mechanical setup. Where the servo should start and end, what holes the pushords use in the servo and the horn, etc. can mean a lot of fiddling with the mechanics and the radio to get them to work right.

Throttle Arming: I got really advanced on you for this. Go over to the "Logical Switches" tab. The first line says "Turn on only when the throttle stick is almost completely down AND SH is down". Because SH is a momentary switch, this line is only On when you are briefly holding the switch toward you (and the stick is down). It goes off when you let go of the switch. The second line says "If the first turns on, then turn yourself on also - but stay on no matter what happens to the first line later, until just SH again is flicked down."
Go to the Mixing tab: The first line of the throttle says "If Line 2 over in Logical Switches is on, allow the throttle to operate normally". The second line says "If Line 2 is NOT on (the ! means NOT), force the throttle to go all the way to full down and do not let it operate".
So - when you first turn on your radio, the throttle stick won't work at all! You have to momentarily pull SH to get it to work. A safety, just in case you bump your throttle stick while working on the plane with the battery plugged in. When the throttle is working, a momentary pull of SH will totally kill the throttle stick again. I do this all the time after landing, so when I pick up the plane, I can be sure an accidental bump of the stick does not start up the motor again.
If you like this, you can set it up the same way for other electric planes. Take special note that the second line has it's "Multiplex" option set to "Replace", not the "Add" that is the default for Mixing.
If you hate it, delete the switch L02 from the first line in Mixing, and delete the entire second line. You can delete everything under Logical Switches.

And BTW - sorry that we had to wipe out your Delta to get the radio to work. Hope you are OK in re-setting it up!

Ted
Attached Files
new corsair.txt (720 Bytes, 17 views)

Last edited by tedsander; 06-11-2020 at 09:02 PM.
Old 06-12-2020, 01:46 PM
Rmarasky

Ok thanks Ted
i made the change to the throttle
but simulator does not work it never did from the time i opened the box cause that was one of the first things i tried to do, but it tells me that this option is not available coming soon.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.