Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Reload this Page >

Issue with transmitter of an old RC car : PROTECH XMB4

Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Issue with transmitter of an old RC car : PROTECH XMB4

Old 04-20-2020, 02:30 PM
HerveChappe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Issue with transmitter of an old RC car : PROTECH XMB4

Hello gurus !

This is a message from France, please forgive my poor English…

As we are contained at home, as you may know, I am currently reactivating old hobbies, such as RC models.
I own an old PROTECH XMB4 car, manufacrured at that time by A-TECH, at least 15 years old, maybe more. The issue is with the RAPIER controller , more precisely with the batteries.
This controller has a specific feature : one can put the batteries in any way, disregarding the polarity of each battery.

At first I used eneloop rechargeable batteries, no problem, three lights Red/Yellow/Green on the controller.
Then I put expensive Energizer MAX alkaline batteries, they turned burning hot in seconds, some immediately lost 1/4 to 1/3 capacity, only Red light on the controller.
Last I put cheap no-band superstore alkaline batteries, back to no problem, three lights Red/Yellow/Green on the controller.
The funniest is that the Energizer MAX Deliver 1,5 V open circuitry when the no-brand deliver 1,6 V…

Is this a known issue ? Some specific batteries to avoid? Or is there anything wrong with my controller? Hope to read you sometime on this.
I plan to offer the car to a kid, for the time being I can’t as he may in the future put inadequate batteries in it, with severe consequences…

Take care,
Herve Chappe
Saint-Denis, France
Old 04-30-2020, 05:24 PM
coriolan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having the wrong polarity usually end-up producing the dreaded "magic smoke" with all electronics regardless of the battery chemistry! Your problem (batteries getting hot) seems to indicate a short between cells if their wrapping is damaged or missing, the case in AA cells is negative and they must not touch each other in the holder. And it is important that all cells are installed in the proper order and respecting polarity despite what you might have been told.

Last edited by coriolan; 04-30-2020 at 05:31 PM.