Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Please Help Me Pick a Radio System

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2020, 08:26 AM
N4S

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Please Help Me Pick a Radio System

Hi folks,

I am trying to pick the right radio system for a Freewing F-14 Tomcat. I use Spektrum DX8 G2 for my E-flight STS & P-51D. My goal was to follow RC Geek’s radio setup for F-14 which needs 9 CH. I just got a Spektrum Ix12 but I have seen mixed reviews on various website for Ix12. I am now thinking to return Ix12 and was thinking to either go with another DX8, use 7-Ch as per Freewing instructions and use a gyro to help with flight stabilization or get a DX9.

I have been away from RC planes for many years and I'm not up-to-date with new radio technology. I appreciate any input you guys have on radio selection.
Old 06-07-2020, 10:05 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

DX9 is probably the best bang for the buck out there right now. Great CS from HH, easy to program, lots of different rx's, telemetry, forward programming with the new rx's, pretty nice radio for the money.
The following users liked this post:
N4S (06-07-2020)
Old 06-07-2020, 11:54 AM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

The ix12 will do the task so consider keeping. Takes a little more time to learns it's functions but programming is same as the DX9. Has a lot of visual features not available in the DX series.

There are no issues with my ix12, have been using for a year now. A lot of negatives you read were (1) with first versions of the software which has matured into a stable platform, (2) people too lazy to learn the software. The DX9 is identical programming although easier to perform.

I am a mainly a Futaba guy who owns several top end systems. The DX9 and ix12 are on the upper end of Spektrum's lineup where I like to be. Very satisfied with both Futaba and Spektrum's upper level systems.

The following 2 users liked this post by Dick T.:
mattnew (08-31-2020), N4S (06-07-2020)
Old 06-07-2020, 02:15 PM
iftibashir

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I would also go with the DX9. Good radio for the money
The following users liked this post:
N4S (06-07-2020)
Old 08-27-2020, 10:33 AM
On the Deck
My Feedback: (142)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you want Telemetry onboard the transmitter you could consider the 32MZ or the older 18MZ. (32MZ puts the information on the face of the radio)
Old 08-31-2020, 06:09 AM
mattnew
My Feedback: (2)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

IX12 is an awesome radio. If you got it... use it.... just remember its for flying, don't download fortnite and minecraft onto it then complain that it is slow. Somethings take a couple extra seconds... boot the ix12 prior to going to the field... make sure no updates are due... then put it to sleep and go flying. Power on at the field will be instant. Plane changes do take a couple seconds... its not the end of the world. I got my son an ix12 this year, I fly a dx18 with him... we switched from Futaba for the wireless buddy boxing... quite honestly I wish I had his ix12... nothing not to like.. and I like my dx18 a lot.