Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

futaba 12Z battery

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2020, 11:22 AM
killerG
My Feedback: (32)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default futaba 12Z battery

Ok, I have been away from the hobby for about 6 years. Got the itch to start flying again. The 2 batteries for my TX were dead so I bought one of the camcorder type batteries of Amazon. Needless to say, it is junk, I charged it up a couple of days before I went to the field. Turned on TX and it shows 75%. After a 7 minute flight it shows 65%.
My question is there some way to get rid of the camcorder type battery and put in say a 2 cell lithium ion, like a Fromeco battery with a connector that I can plug into the TX? I have seen a mod that when done they, have 2 cell Lipo but it is attached to the outside of the TX with Velcro. I really don't want that, I would rather have it inside the TX. I don't want to buy a new TX just now, but the 16SZ is looking good.

Thanks
Old 06-18-2020, 03:54 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

open that camcorder battery case.

you can probably source similar sized li ion batterys to put in there that are of higher quality.

or buy the sony branded camera battery. that is what futaba did.
Old 06-19-2020, 11:47 AM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I have had good luck with Kastar brand batteries usually found on Ebay. A current listing for item #324066227560 has 3 2900mah batteries plus charger for $27.99 with free shipping.

I use these in my 12Z and 14MZ. Last two pack I bought was 2400mah about two years ago and they still charge to 100% and last about two plus hours.

Use the Kastar charger. The Futaba stock charger is very conservative and rarely charges to 100% (a known issue).

In the past I have purchased Sony brand but didn't get any better results. You can get three Kastar for the price of one Sony. The weakness of camcorder batteries in RC use is we rarely run them down or get many full cycles on them. Camcorder users will take video until the battery runs out, switch to another and keep going.

I have achieved best results by having two batteries per transmitter and rotating them after each flying day (about 1-1 1/2 hours each) but don't charge them until the next flying day. If I don't use either transmitter for an extended period of time, plug the battery in, turn on trans and let it run until the low battery alarm sounds.

Lithium Ion batteries aren't much different than Li-Po when it comes to use and storage charge. Run them down and put away until needed.

You might try putting 3-4 cycles on your battery. Sometimes they will drop to 60-70% quickly in the transmitter but take an hour plus after that to trigger the alarm (30% I believe).

Hopes this helps.
Old 06-19-2020, 07:05 PM
killerG
My Feedback: (32)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dick T.
I have had good luck with Kastar brand batteries usually found on Ebay. A current listing for item #324066227560 has 3 2900mah batteries plus charger for $27.99 with free shipping.

I use these in my 12Z and 14MZ. Last two pack I bought was 2400mah about two years ago and they still charge to 100% and last about two plus hours.

Use the Kastar charger. The Futaba stock charger is very conservative and rarely charges to 100% (a known issue).

In the past I have purchased Sony brand but didn't get any better results. You can get three Kastar for the price of one Sony. The weakness of camcorder batteries in RC use is we rarely run them down or get many full cycles on them. Camcorder users will take video until the battery runs out, switch to another and keep going.

I have achieved best results by having two batteries per transmitter and rotating them after each flying day (about 1-1 1/2 hours each) but don't charge them until the next flying day. If I don't use either transmitter for an extended period of time, plug the battery in, turn on trans and let it run until the low battery alarm sounds.

Lithium Ion batteries aren't much different than Li-Po when it comes to use and storage charge. Run them down and put away until needed.

You might try putting 3-4 cycles on your battery. Sometimes they will drop to 60-70% quickly in the transmitter but take an hour plus after that to trigger the alarm (30% I believe).

Hopes this helps.
Kastar is the brand that I got. But I used the Futaba charger with them.