Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

I've Been Gone for 9 years

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2020, 11:57 AM
RottenDog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I've Been Gone for 9 years

I am interested in Futaba radios and eventually flying a big motor glider out in the middle of nowhere. Just looking around on the internet I feel like for a reliable full range system this is the way to go, but I will pay for it - not necessarily a bad thing. What are my alternatives? I'm not interested in getting a degree in computer science to program a transmitter, nor am I trying to kick a hornets nest. I spent a lot of money (for me) on Spectrum back then and was just curious as to what other companies people like. Thanks to all in advance.
Old 07-18-2020, 07:47 PM
perttime

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like I am in a somewhat similar situation - but I already decided on a Futaba, to replace the old 6--channel MHz JR that I still have. When a local dealer gets one in his hands, I'm getting a Futaba T16SZ. It is no cheapo, but isn't the most expensive one "with everything" either. Just something that lots of experienced guys are using and has some room for growth.

You are going to have to do some programming but that should be easy enough, referring to the manual or asking questions here. The touch screen of the T16SZ seems to be a touch above the buttons and dials of the "lesser" models. Ergonomically it is supposed to be a little thinner than some other models, which I like. It also works with all current Futaba receivers.
Old 07-19-2020, 06:37 PM
YellowBlueBird

Default fly both brands

I have both. The big draw for Spectrum for me is all of the ready made airplanes with everything installed in it. My Futabas have been easer to bind.
Old 07-19-2020, 06:59 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

The 6 channel Futaba radio should do fine for you.
Most of the other manufacturers you remember from 9 years ago are still around too with good products. They only thing I can think of that's newer is the FrSky radios. They are cheap, but really proved themselves with the drone crowd. There is a bit more to programming them, but with the huge user community it won't be hard to get help if you need it.
Old 07-21-2020, 01:14 AM
HeidyD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very satisfied of Futaba radion, I'm using it for already 2 years.
Old 07-26-2020, 06:59 AM
Alexsv96

I can attest that I was a spektrum guy my 4 years in the hobby so far, since beginning. Started with old dx7 then dx8i and then dx9.... I just switched to Futaba 16SZ and because I wanted more channel flexibility to be able to program more and the Futaba was the way to go... at $800 for the radio and it already comes with a $160 receiver (technically your radio is only $640 then) it was the easy choice as I wanted something new modern with touchscreen and nice features. Plus with S-Bus you can have a 4 channel receiver use 16 channels with s-Bus its great.