Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Actuating a servo with a 0-5v signal?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2020, 05:25 PM
telljcl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Actuating a servo with a 0-5v signal?

I had a need (not RC) of using an old servo to turn a knob proportionally to a 0-5v voltage. Could I use a servo tester or some other reasonably inexpensive device to accomplish this?

In other words, at 0v the servo arm is in the neutral position (or negative rotation limit maybe), and at 5v it is rotated to the limit in the other direction.

Like turning the knob on a tester, or moving the stick on a transmitter, only modulated by the voltage.

Thanks for any DIY ideas on a simple solution!
Old 07-29-2020, 12:39 PM
A. J. Clark

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

You can use a servo tester to rotate the servo but it doesn't work exactly like your thinking. You need a power supply. 5v would do it for most servos. Plus you need a signal that can be pulse width modulated with the right pulse width that can also be veried to put on the signal wire. Check this site out it explains how servos work. https://www.servocity.com/servo-faqs/
Old 07-30-2020, 04:02 AM
telljcl

Originally Posted by A. J. Clark
You can use a servo tester to rotate the servo but it doesn't work exactly like your thinking. You need a power supply. 5v would do it for most servos. Plus you need a signal that can be pulse width modulated with the right pulse width that can also be veried to put on the signal wire. Check this site out it explains how servos work.
Thanks for the reply. I guess I was thinking of some simple circuit that would mimic x-mitter control stick input using 0-5vdc.

I could probably kludge together something using a servo tester etc... though I guess.

Thanks again for the input!

Old 08-03-2020, 11:40 AM
AndreyT

You need to convert a 0-5V analog signal into the corresponding pulse-encoded (pseudo-PWM) signal signal for the servo. Barring a pre-made device designed to do exactly that, I'd say that in this day and age one of the simplest immediate solutions would be an Arduino board, which can be made to do that with a very simple program. Of course, if you are familiar with [Arduino] programming that is...