Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Custom program request

Old 08-18-2020, 05:51 AM
H5606

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Custom program request

Background:

Two aileron servos, two elevator servos, and a throttle servo; all 5 to operate proportionally -
A gear servo on a switch (6th servo) -
Using either a Futaba 9C or a Spektrum DX9 in Mode 2

First condition/flight mode and focusing only on the aileron and elevator servos:

The aileron servos need to operate in same directions with aileron stick movement -
The elevator servos need to operate in opposite directions with elevator stick movement -

Second condition/flight mode - with gear switch flipped to operate the gear servo during flight, I'd like the following to happen:

With throttle stick movement, the aileron servos and elevator servos would now operate proportionally and in unison on the throttle stick so that all four servos move in the same direction -
This condition would require that the one elevator servo reverse direction to match the other three (one elev & two ail) -
(No problem if the throttle servo continues to move w/ stick movement in this condition -)

Can this program request be done using either of the two radios mentioned or is there a radio system capable of doing this task?

Thanks very much for any help here -

Last edited by H5606; 08-18-2020 at 06:52 AM. Reason: add'l info
Old 08-18-2020, 10:51 AM
AndyKunz

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, a DX9 will do that easily enough.

What exactly are you trying to control? It will help make the visualization better.

Andy
Old 08-18-2020, 03:18 PM
H5606

Okay, cool - I'll try setup with the DX9.

Description may be difficult but here goes for a Design KI1603 X-WRAE:

Condition one:

Its an attempt at a fixed-wing airplane using an "X"-wing planform as viewed from above or plan-view -
Each arm of the "X" has a dedicated servo for control -
Unlike conventional ailerons, the forward two arms of the "X" are to move in the same direction for roll control -
The aft two arms of the "X" are to move in opposing direction for pitch control -
Intending to fly airplane like a conventional aileron/elevator type in this condition -

Condition two:

At some point during flight, I'd like to reconfigure the aircraft for an autorotation descent upon engine shutdown -
The gear servo is to pull pins releasing a hinged nose and tail of the aircraft thus shifting the CG to fall directly below the "X" flying surface -
This is where I'd like to be able to switch the operation and control descent with "collective pitch" in essence using the throttle stick -
Aircraft is now essentially descent only, free-flight autorotation, with collective control to attempt a "flared" arrival with the ground -

Hoping this description helps -

Last edited by H5606; 08-18-2020 at 03:29 PM.
Old 08-18-2020, 04:19 PM
AndyKunz

That link failed, but Google it. Design KI1603 X-WRAE Hmmm, that looks like what you posted. Probably a typo somewhere in there. Whatever.

OK, thanks. Give me a little time to think it through.

Andy

Old 08-19-2020, 06:42 AM
AndyKunz

Try this DX9 file. Switch A controls the mode.

Andy
Attached Files
File Type: spm
H5606-1.SPM (19.5 KB, 6 views)
Old 08-20-2020, 02:54 AM
H5606

Thank you very much Andy - I'll try loading the file this weekend and report back -
Old 08-21-2020, 03:22 AM
H5606

Apologizing in advance as I'm a technologically challenged neophyte with at least one question here:

1) I'm a virgin and a little concerned -
2) I've never used an SD card in any transmitter -
3) I hope I don't screw anything up here -

According to the DX9 manual, importing wipes out ALL existing model memory (as of now - 3 fixed-wing airplanes) and I don't want to lose my already setup models.
My plan is to copy (export?) my existing models to an SD card and remove it, then use another SD card with the subject file above to load to the transmitter.

Dumb question:
Can I somehow save the new custom file (model) alongside the existing models without having to swap SD cards after initial setup?
Old 08-21-2020, 07:05 AM
AndyKunz

You misread what the manual says. And the manual is long ago not accurate with all the extra things we have now in the radio. The change logs would help, but just reading the DX20 manual will be a lot better since most of it applies. Or the "Rather Good Guide to the DX9" from rathergoodguides.com

Importing a model doesn't erase anything anymore. The new file is appended to the end of the model list, and you can work with it from there. But since you are working from an old version of DX9 code, you will first need to update it to version 2.05. Register it, download the update, but first read the "How To" link on the download page. It will tell you how to get a compatible SD card (using an incompatible one is 95% of the problem people have).

So, you won't lose your 3 models. You can export them first - the manual tells you how - before you do the update. You need a card that's compatible - read the How To before you do anything. Here's a copy to speed you on your way

Andy
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
How_To_Update_AirWare.pdf (124.0 KB, 3 views)
Old 08-21-2020, 07:42 AM
H5606

Okay - very cool - thanks for setting me straight -
Old 08-23-2020, 08:58 AM
H5606

After research and mulling this through, here's what is happening:

- Not looking for sympathy but my emotions may be running rampant -
- My youngest radio system, the DX9 is an early version and has never been updated - even had it before the newer Black versions came on the scene.
- It works extremely well, I'm happy with it, spent countless hours setting up and trimming the models programmed on it, and never pranged any of them - last used Friday evening.
- I hope you can see this from my perspective in your heart of hearts - if I update the AirWare in the transmitter and start seeing anomalies showing up (even trim changes), I will have regrets making the change and not being able to go back. (Yes, I've been reading the forums probably too much - )
- Maybe I would be even happier if I made the change but I just don't know that from this side of things and don't want to take the risk.
- When I started this hobby 40+ years ago, I heard some of the older, wiser, modelers using an old adage: "If it works, don't 'fix' [with] it" and this statement is weighing on me here more than ever -

Suppose it's possible to start from scratch and program the transmitter model memory for X-WRAE myself but that's the hard way, you've already provided me the file, and I appreciate that.
I absolutely do want to use the technology available and have been considering buying the DX8 to dedicate to experiments; will this radio import and be able to use the attached file in post #5 from an SD card?
The pain to my wallet would hurt so much less than the pain to setup and re-trim my existing models -
Old 08-24-2020, 08:23 AM
AndyKunz

Yes, too much reading doth make thee mad (paraphrase of Festus).

There were no changes made to the channel processing outside of fixes on a mixing issue with a Programmable Mix using the Flap as an input, and a helicopter servo issue. So even trim changes are not a concern. Virtually all changes have been made for user interface things, such as to support more features that the channel processor supported but were never configurable.

A DX8 will support the file that I posted, yes. You will need to update it to the latest code, though, as the units in the warehouse very rarely have the latest code in them.

Andy
Old 08-24-2020, 11:36 AM
H5606

Okay and thank you so very much for your help -
Old 09-15-2020, 04:03 PM
H5606

Update and request resolved -
You saved me countless hours/days to accomplish this task - Thank you Andy!

-Using a DX8 G2 and updating firmware to 2.05 as you suggested
-Imported the DX9 file you provided
-AR610 with all six ports occupied
-Sw harness in bind/data port
-Channel assign: RUDD L Elev and AUX1 Left Ail
-Three servos reversed

Perhaps because of my setup technique, I did change Mix 1 to RAL and after a few head scratching moments because the left elevator wouldn't reverse during changeover, a little research from Lake Sawyer Hawks website during lunch gave me an idea to simply swap elevator servos around and now it works properly in both conditions! Yay!

Just a little tweak I'd like to perform; rates are set at 50% with the throttle mix - can I increase these to 100% without consequence?
Old 09-16-2020, 03:36 AM
AndyKunz

"Without consequence" - I don't know, I suspect so. You'll have to test. The only real issue you may find is that you get a dead zone for response with extreme stick movements. If that happens, just dial back the 100% until it disappears.

Andy
Old Yesterday, 04:01 PM
H5606

Regarding my consequence concern - I was over-thinking it -

During the second flight condition, I wasn't sure if the 50% value on the throttle mix was a safety-conscious feature to avoid breaking servos by not driving them beyond their mechanical stops. Was thinking setting values to 100% and then use of the right stick (either intentionally or unintentionally) with the servos sitting close to their endpoints would go beyond 100% and possibly break the servo - if this makes any sense... Please disregard if nonsense.

Thanks again for your help.

Last edited by H5606; Yesterday at 04:06 PM.
Old Today, 05:40 AM
AndyKunz

That is the correct logic.

If you are using a DX9 or higher, you have access to the Absolute Travel function. This is a clipping function which you use to limit servo rotation to match mechanical constraints.

Andy