Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Reload this Page >

Anyone know the best deal on a RC transmitter 9/2020?

Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Anyone know the best deal on a RC transmitter 9/2020?

Old 09-19-2020, 08:52 PM
soarwitheagles

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Anyone know the best deal on a RC transmitter 9/2020?

Title says it all...well, except maybe what I will be controlling remotely!
  • Slow flying park flyers
  • High speed delta wings
  • And maybe some tiny indoor rtf's
I have not flown for nearly 10 years...

I ordered one of these yesterday from Amazon Jungle and it may not arrive until October:

Flysky FS-i6X 6-10(Default 6)CH 2.4GHz AFHDS RC Transmitter w/ FS-iA6B Receiver

I could cancel the order if someone has a better idea.

I discovered the Flysky after doing lots of reading and the price and the reliability appealed to me.

Local hobby shop recommended this:

Spektrum DX6e 6-Channel 2.4GHz RC Radio Transmitter System DSMX DSM2 with AR620 Receiver Rx |"><span style=Spektrum DX6e 6-Channel 2.4GHz RC Radio Transmitter System DSMX DSM2 with AR620 Receiver Rx |" /> Spektrum DX6e 6-Channel 2.4GHz RC Radio Transmitter System DSMX DSM2 with AR620 Receiver Rx |">Spektrum DX6e 6-Channel 2.4GHz RC Radio Transmitter System DSMX DSM2 with AR620 Receiver Rx |

But gosh, 4 times more expensive and unfortunately I am on a tight budget and my shoes squeak when I walk too!

Last, I still have two wonderful RC transmitters that I purchased 10-15 years ago. Not sure it is a good idea to use them anymore...

I DO NOT WANNA RISK LOSING/CRASHING NEWLY BUILT AIRPLANES THAT I SPENT DAYS BUILDING. SO QUALITY AND RELIABILITY ARE OF UTMOST IMPORTANCE [and I think it would be best to purchase new electronics...am I thinking straight on this]?

I rarely crashed in the past because I do most of my acrobatics super high up, making it super easy to recover.

Please give me some good advice!

Thanks,

Soar

Last edited by soarwitheagles; 09-20-2020 at 08:28 AM.
Old 09-20-2020, 05:41 AM
bisco

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i am going through a similar dilemma. the best i can tell, the cheap tx are great, but a huge learning curve, and no help from mfg or seller.
thats what you pay for with spectrum. experienced electronics guys love the open tx stuff.
Old 09-20-2020, 08:29 AM
soarwitheagles

Originally Posted by bisco View Post
i am going through a similar dilemma. the best i can tell, the cheap tx are great, but a huge learning curve, and no help from mfg or seller.
thats what you pay for with spectrum. experienced electronics guys love the open tx stuff.
Bisco,

Thanks for your reply. I am not too worried about the learning curve as a number of reviewers stated there lots of Youtube videos that teach how to set them up.
The following users liked this post:
bisco (09-20-2020)
Old 09-20-2020, 10:37 AM
bisco

Originally Posted by soarwitheagles View Post
Bisco,

Thanks for your reply. I am not too worried about the learning curve as a number of reviewers stated there lots of Youtube videos that teach how to set them up.
than i would recommend just about anything. flysky gets great reviews from the tech savvy, and cheap as they come
Old 09-20-2020, 01:13 PM
wnewbury

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1
Old 09-24-2020, 04:29 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have Futaba, Spectrum, Flysky, Jumper, Airtroncs Tx. Each has its good parts.

The "OLD" Airtronics have thousands of hours on them and they just chug along, not as many features but super easy to setup now. To bad no longer on the market.

My go to radio is a Flysky i10. The touch screen makes it easy to setup. Has tons of features and is easy to program. I have an older 9 channel radio with a module, uses open source firmware. Hard to program, unlimited features. If I was looking at a new radio, I would be seriously looking at the 18 channel flysky. Big brother to the i10

Amazon Amazon

Amazon Amazon

https://www.banggood.com/Flysky-FS-P...r_warehouse=CN

I got the Jumper because I can use it for flysky, frysky, futaba, spectrum and about 20 other manufactures. I have the older version. Learning curve in setup, yet there are a lot of ones setup online you can copy and paste and your radio is setup.

https://www.banggood.com/Jumper-T8SG..._warehouse=USA

Big brother

https://www.banggood.com/RadioMaster...r_warehouse=CN

I have 0 radio issues since 2000 or so. That was even on 72mhz with my Airtronics RD6000. Radios have become so reliable, does not matter what brand. My Flysky has been so bullet proof. When I crash I can not say it was radio, it was my own dumb thumbs.

BG has been pretty good on shipping, 1/2 to 3/4 of the estimated delivery time.

Buzz.

Old 09-24-2020, 04:41 PM
bisco

i went with the spectrum dx6 for simplicity and support, but big bucks.

my first transmitter in the 60's was a home made metal box with five toggle switches

Old 09-24-2020, 10:03 PM
soarwitheagles

Thank you gentlemen for your excellent replies.

My first transmitter I built myself back in the 1970's. Believe it or not, Heathkit made a kit where you could built the transmitter, the receiver, the servos, etc. A lot of the components we had to solder vertical instead of horizontal on the circuit boards. It took me a few weeks and it was super fun. Every component worked flawlessly. Gosh, I wish they were still in business today. I also built a number of their other kits like monster power supplies, ham equipment, etc.

For now, I purchased the Flysky FS-i6X simply because I want to get in the air again...haven't flown RC in some years now...

I looked into the more expensive models Buzz listed. I like them very much, but for now, I will go the somewhat cheaper path.

Thanks again everyone!
The following users liked this post:
bisco (09-25-2020)