Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Two new servos won't return to center.

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2021, 06:39 PM
PleaseW84myRX8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Two new servos won't return to center.

Just bought a Savox SW-1210SG Waterproof Coreless Steel Gear Digital Servo + Glitch Buster for an Exceed 1/10 scale buggy electric sunfire RTR brushless rig. It seems to be stuck turning right, no matter what. Even after mechanically setting it to center alignment. It also clicks when turning, like it is trying to go further but can't.

Also got a Spektrum S6250 High Torque HV Dig Servo for a CC-01 Wrangler. This one works fairly well but seems to take a second to recognize transmitter signals. It also doesn't return to center perfectly like the old servo did before dyeing. If you turn right, then let go of steering, it returns to "almost center" at about 8-10 degrees off and continues to turn right a bit. Same thing if you turn left.

ESC in the Exceed rig I have no idea. There is no model number on the device.
The ESC for the wrangler is r203gf.

Any ideas on how to fix this? I'm somewhat new to new servo maintenance.
Old 01-25-2021, 12:14 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

sounds like a RX or servo extension problem to me. But I'm a plane guy.

David
Old 01-25-2021, 06:03 PM
PleaseW84myRX8

What is an RX or servo extension problem?

The servo is in the same position and the gear is in the same spot with all the same parts that worked with the previous servo. And which vehicle are you referring to?
Old 01-26-2021, 07:10 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

RX is receiver. Extension is a wire to make the servo wire longer so it will reach the RX. Not used much in your application. You mentioned the speed control. All this does is supply the RX with power to run the servos. It is possible it is not giving the right voltage. Just not a common issue in my world. If you have a different RX you could try it?

David
Old 01-26-2021, 08:37 AM
PleaseW84myRX8

Ah, gotcha, thanks. Still new to the electronics end of RC cars.
Old 01-27-2021, 06:09 AM
Retiredat38
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PleaseW84myRX8
Just bought a Savox SW-1210SG Waterproof Coreless Steel Gear Digital Servo + Glitch Buster for an Exceed 1/10 scale buggy electric sunfire RTR brushless rig. It seems to be stuck turning right, no matter what. Even after mechanically setting it to center alignment. It also clicks when turning, like it is trying to go further but can't.

Also got a Spektrum S6250 High Torque HV Dig Servo for a CC-01 Wrangler. This one works fairly well but seems to take a second to recognize transmitter signals. It also doesn't return to center perfectly like the old servo did before dyeing. If you turn right, then let go of steering, it returns to "almost center" at about 8-10 degrees off and continues to turn right a bit. Same thing if you turn left.

ESC in the Exceed rig I have no idea. There is no model number on the device.
The ESC for the wrangler is r203gf.

Any ideas on how to fix this? I'm somewhat new to new servo maintenance.
Bench test both servos. That is plugged in to the Rx but not installed in the car. If they don't behave, send them back.
If they behave, put them back into the car and look for something in the linkage that is loading the servo.
Make sure your battery is fully charged when testing as well. The clicking in the Savox sounds like a gear train issue but could also be the steering linkage if installed.
Make sure to re-center that Savox on the bench and leave it alone after that. The servo should be centered when the control stick on the Tx is centered.
And why digital servos? What was in the cars to begin with? Being RTR I doubt they came with digital.

How is the car wired up? That is, battery to ESC which then provides power to the Rx which then powers the servo. No direct (nothing but wire in between) connection from the battery to the Rx.

Some possibilities are, the cars (assuming a BEC in the ESC) are not providing enough voltage to these servos. You have high voltage servos designed to run as much as 7.4 volts and probably more. 6 volts is the lowest mentioned for the Savox servo and the specs I found on line says nothing about the torque. It wouldn't surprise me to find the ESC is only providing 5 volts to the Rx and through that, the servo. Probably not enough voltage especially for digital servos. Under load, i.e. motor running that voltage could drop even more falling to or even below the threshold (minimum) voltage for that servo.

Another possibility is the Rx simply doesn't have what it takes to operate a digital servo. Lots of things have changed with the radios in the past 20 or so years and not everything has caught up. Voltages, servo pulse widths, various servo motors and going digital and programmable have all confused the choice considerably. And not all radios are up to handling all this yet. Especially the less expensive ones. Your RTR cars aren't known for having the best radios in them. Sometimes RTR radios are re-purposed left over stock from some years ago.

What was the make/model of servo you took out?
What's the make/model of the radio? Should say on the transmitter (Tx).

What are the wire colors and order of colors on the servo connector? i.e. should be something like black-red-some other color. On the Savox I think they use Brown-Red-Yellow. Red is your Pos voltage and should be the center. Brown (black) is Neg or ground and should be on one side. The Yellow is your signal wire. Depending on manufacturer this one can be most any color. Make sure it's plugged into the Rx correctly but from the sounds of it, you have. A servo that isn't plugged in correctly simply will not work and won't be harmed by the experience.

My recommendation is until you learn more about this stuff, don't buy parts on-line. Find a local hobby shop or fellow modeler to help you. It may cost you more up front but will save you cash and frustration in the long run. And even the airplane or boat guys should be able to troubleshoot this problem. And if you go to a hobby shop for help, buy your replacement parts from them. I don't care how much you save on Amazon or elsewhere. Support your local hobby shop if you want him to still be there next time.