Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

rc motor random cutt off

Old 03-27-2021, 12:53 PM
rich_tigah

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rc motor random cutt off

My school team has built our first RC plane. It flies great. However, we are having issues with the motor randomly cutting off during flight. The future electrical engineers on my team selected the following components for the system. or

Great Planes Rimfire .55 480kv
Motor: Great Planes Rimfire .55 480kv
Battery: Glacier 3700mAh 22.2V

Power Limiter: NeuMotors 1000W

Electronic Speed Controller: ZTW Beatles 60A

Servos(5): Futaba S3003

Receiver: Futaba R3006SB

Transmitter: Futaba T6K
We are running a 17" propeller. Plane weighs 14 lbs. empty. The plane is definitely a bit under powered due to competition restrictions.

My initial guess was the esc low voltage cut off was kicking in. After investigation we found this not to be true; the battery still had over 3 volts/cell.

We are also not loosing radio communication, we can still control the servo motors.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 04-03-2021, 12:33 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Take a reading of the amps your system is drawing... multiply voltage( 22,2v apparently) x amps(whatever that is) = watts. "V x A = Watts"... That will give you total watts your system actually is using.

It sounds like your power limiter is doing just what its intended for actually. If you're limited to 1000w,total, to me that actually sounds low for a 22.2v system running a 17" prop... but with the limiter that's all you get.. and I'd bet that limiter is cutting your motor.

Thing is though... why 1000w limiter?... Is there a particular reason?
Old 04-03-2021, 07:41 PM
tedsander

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

Are you monitoring/logging in flight voltage? You may be pulling the voltage low during high load maneuvers, temporarily dropping it below the ESC cutoff.
But as DGrant noted, look at the limiter first....