Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Old duff question

Old 07-08-2021, 08:22 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Old duff question

Hello Gentlemen, I have been here since just about the start of RCU. Been flying for over 40 years. I still use a 9C radio for no other reason than I just like it.

A recent helicopter has brought some questions. It has a BEASTX controller. They keep talking about remote recievers. Never used one. I am looking at an 18 MZ Futaba radio. What do these remote receivers do and how do they work? Do I need more than just the Rx it comes with?

Also, what do I need for telemetry or is it built in? I am just starting to look at them, but thought I would find great help here. Any info you can help me with is much appreciated.
Old 07-08-2021, 11:51 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (14)

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

remote rx are a spectrum thing.
futaba does not use them.

have to ask someone else if the beastx will work with a futaba rx/tx setup.
Old 07-09-2021, 03:59 AM
rgburrill

Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

Remote receivers are just another way to get you to spend more money.
Old 07-09-2021, 04:03 AM
rgburrill

Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

If you are going to put any remote on your receiver should should make sure it has the RC equivalent to ADS-B. Someday the FAA will require that.
Old 07-09-2021, 07:57 AM
FLYBOY

Ok, so I guess its the S bus ports I am questioning. I guess the beast plugs into that?
Old 07-09-2021, 01:31 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by FLYBOY View Post
Hello Gentlemen, I have been here since just about the start of RCU. Been flying for over 40 years. I still use a 9C radio for no other reason than I just like it.

A recent helicopter has brought some questions. It has a BEASTX controller. They keep talking about remote recievers. Never used one. I am looking at an 18 MZ Futaba radio.
Speaking with the voice of experience; from a 9C to an 18MZ? Have you physically played with an MZ or looked at any of it's programming? It's a pretty steep learning curve from a 9C, got anyone who can help you with it?

I went from a 9C to a 9Z WCII radio to get rid of the elevator lag in the 9C. By the time I'd spent three days trying to get triple rate control throws without getting it figured out, I was ready to put it in the round file.

The MZ is somewhat more user friendly than the 9Z, but it's a h*ll of a lot more complicated and capable of so many more things, getting your head wrapped around it will be a challenge. If I were you and you wanted an 18 channel Futaba, I'd look at the 18SZ. Slightty smaller size than the MZ, fits my hands better. The capabilities of the SZ are such that it will do basically about 90% of what an MZ will and, it has more capability on the RF front that the MZ does not have unless it's the 18MZ WC version. That said; the SZ is easier for me to program as the way things are laid out seems easier to figure out at least for me.

I still have my WC which is up for sale and I'm keeping the SZ but the regular MZ I already sold. So I have experience with all three of those radios, just a couple of thought's you might want to consider.....

Last edited by Zeeb; 07-09-2021 at 01:35 PM.
Old 07-09-2021, 06:31 PM
FLYBOY

Thank you. I appreciate the info.