Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Old radios - 15+ years....

Old 09-07-2021, 09:14 AM
schumacher777

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old radios - 15+ years....

Prior to getting married, I was very involved with the hobby of RC Airplanes. I'm looking at getting back into the hobby since I now have 3 sons (13,10,8) and viewing an air show, they thought it would be fun to get into. I've held onto my two radios - JR 10x and JR8103. Amazingly the batteries didn't blow up or corrode in the past 15+ years. Of course, these radios are on 72.xxx radio freq. I know that there is a "newer" type that was just coming out when I stopped being active in the hobby.

Of my little bit of research, appears that JR Radios are no longer??? If that is the case, where could I send these in to get verified they are working order? If there isn't a place to have them verified, what (if any) brands would be compatible with the JR Servos that I still have in a few airplanes I kept?

On a completely different thought not related to radios, wondering if anyone would happen to have plans for the Bridi Loadstar trainer? www bridiairplanes com hangar loadstar40.html

When I first started on this hobby, I got that airplane and have loved flying it ever since - to me, one of the best trainers. I'd really love to build1-2 of these with my boys - it's an easy build and would be nice to have a couple of them built to go fly with the boys, but I know I'll need some "training" time to get back into the flying mode again, but I'm hoping it would be like riding a bike.

Thanks, Michael
Old 09-07-2021, 01:12 PM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome back to the hobby and bringing your boys into it.

72Mhz radio are still very useful today and JR is a quality brand. JR is not dead, is now owned in the US by DeeForce (deeforce.net). Not sure they will service the older models you have but worth a check. If they cannot then check with Tony Stillman at Radio South (radiosouthrc.com). Radio South may ring a bell as Tony has been servicing RC equipment many years.

Your existing JR servos will work with any of today's RC equipment. Gone are the various connectors of yesterday with JR and Futaba style being used universally today.

Many folks will encourage you to ditch the old JR's in favor of newer 2.4Ghz equipment available today. There are multiple brands and price points so wading into current systems can be overwhelming. It is helpful to visit local flying sites to see what is being heavily used in your area. Hobby shops tend to stock only one brand of systems, rarely more than that. Spektrum will likely be the dominate brand due to the their monster marketing program crowding out most other brands. Major brand names like Futaba and JR are currently available too.

Good luck, a great hobby to enjoy with the kids. My son enjoyed the hobby with me years ago but then discovered girls and later computer programming, recently retiring as a IT Tech.
Old 09-07-2021, 02:29 PM
tedsander

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

Dick T. gave perfect advice! Just make sure to replace ALL your batteries! And that full system check you mentioned.

You might want to evaluate the costs. Batteries and service may add up to a significant part of what replacement with new would be, these days. But there is a lot to be said for going with what you know, and taking the time later to sort out the dizzying array of features and functions.
The good part, since very few use 72mhz these days, no worries about sharing channels or interference from others at the field!
Old 09-08-2021, 04:16 AM
schumacher777

I fully plan on sending these radios in to be checked out and have the batteries replaced. Just holding the radios brought back so many good memories of flying. It would be really nice to get back into the hobby, maybe not at the extreme I was at, but at least enough to where the family enjoys doing it.

First, I'll see if I can get them sent in and find out the price. If the price is a bit much to have them inspected with new batteries put in too, then I'll look into purchasing new radios.

I'm hoping that I can locate the plans for the LoadStar 40 kit, if so, then I'll be in for building the airplane or two with my boys.

Thanks for the info, if anyone else has more insights, that would be great.
Old 09-08-2021, 08:52 AM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

For your information, the Bridi Loadstar 40 is in production at (bridiairplanes.com) although currently out of stock.

There are several web sites that list plans for free downloads. I don't recall them off hand but someone may chime in with the links.

Good hunting.
Old 09-09-2021, 05:50 AM
schumacher777

My google search revealed that site to me, I've sent an email, but no response yet. I will maybe give them a call this next week, as I've got two places to go look through to see if I can find the plans.

One question, the price for getting new batteries, checking the radios and such are reasonable to consider doing, however, I'm wondering about the availability of the receivers? If I cannot get those easily, then perhaps it would be best to put these radios to the side and move on towards new radios.

Thanks, Michael
Old 09-09-2021, 01:45 PM
tedsander

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

Easily - probably not. You'll have to search e-bay and the "for sales" here, making sure to get the right protocol and channel number. Then send them in for a checkup, as even new can drift from optimal tuning over time, as they still will be old. No main-line manufacturers make 72mhz anymore.

Your 10x and JR8103 both might be able to use a plug in module to convert it to 2.4. I've seen references to the "JR DM-9" module, and it might be the same as Spektrum sells - but you'll have to do more research into it to verify.
The DM-9 is itself kind of "old", and while I've had no issue using mine in a Frsky radio with simple bind-n-fly's, there is chatter out there that it may not be compatible with the latest and greatest Spektrum things. There are other plug in modules (check out https://www.multi-module.org/), but again, more research needed to see if it will work in your radios. If it does, it opens the whole world of receivers available to you. Some very, very cheap but very usable. I have multiple flying friends using theirs for a wide variety of brands of receivers, all very dependably.

But, while not super-geeky, it is not just plug-n-play either. So there will be a bit of a learning curve on how to set it up and use it. But the information in the link above is very approachable.

Last edited by tedsander; 09-09-2021 at 01:50 PM.
Old 09-17-2021, 01:31 PM
mundo330
My Feedback: (3)

Schumacher777,
I also got back into the Hobby back in the late 90s with my son who saw a helicopter and airplane hanging in the garage and asked "Dad do these fly?"
I had not flown in a few years and did not plan on getting back to it until he was older if he had the interest? He was 3 years old at the time and boy did he have the interest. I sold a few old helicopters (now I wish I had not!) and purchased a Midwest Aerostar 60 with a Saito 80 to go with it. We built it and covered it together and he was so anxious to fly it. I did not know he was secretly using my computer (with my wife's supervision) to fly the Dave Brown simulator on my computer. It was raw old time graphics but great physics. Our first time out I showed him how to preflight the plane, and I took it up. Take off was even smother than my Aerostar 40s I remembered. I trimmed her out and got her flying straight and level and Pulled the trainer switch. He took control and flew a near perfect oval out in front of us at about 150 feet. Then he flew for 15 inutes without me ever taking back control.... I was dumbfounded. The second flight he wanted to take off. The field was grass and there was a big irrigation ditch at the end and a power line about 50' after that. I figured the Aerostar flew well enough if he got squirrelly I would have time to take control. He did a perfect take off. and after about a dozen high approaches I let him land her. He bounced a bit but got it down in one safe. the smile on his face was priceless! He went on to become the top trainer at our club at 11 years old. We had a line of students from 8 years old to retired waiting for Stephen. at 14 he took up helicopters with Matt Botos instructing him. He became one of the top heli pilots at our field. Now at 25 he is a pilot and tech. he is going for his CFII (certified flight instrument instructor) because he wants to teach as he did with RC.
"NO I AM NOT THE PROUD PAPA"
Old 09-17-2021, 01:34 PM
mundo330
My Feedback: (3)

P.S. I still fly 72 Mhz. Have a JR XP7202 and a XP9303. Both Select scan. I do have a DX8 gen2 for my bind and fly stuff but mostly prefer to have the fishing pole sticking out in front of me!